Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcatt66

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2007
Im living in Thailand and brought my US iphone 4 here. .

long story short. . my Thai carrier was attempting to fix my phone and updated me to 4.2.1 and I am no longer unlocked. .

i understand there is no unlock for the iphone 4, 4.2.1 yet but am curious if I could by pass this emergency screen to use the ipod feature and some of the other none phone or data features. .or am I SOL and stuck with a cool looking paperweight?. .

I dont have an AT&T sim here with me. . only my Thai sim. .

thanks for any answers. . .

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
Im living in Thailand and brought my US iphone 4 here. .

long story short. . my Thai carrier was attempting to fix my phone and updated me to 4.2.1 and I am no longer unlocked. .

i understand there is no unlock for the iphone 4, 4.2.1 yet but am curious if I could by pass this emergency screen to use the ipod feature and some of the other none phone or data features. .or am I SOL and stuck with a cool looking paperweight?. .

I dont have an AT&T sim here with me. . only my Thai sim. .

thanks for any answers. . .

You can jailbreak using the latest Redsn0w which activate the iPhone.

mcatt66

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2007
I tried that with redsnow 9.7 b4 and 3,1 4.2.1_8C148 and it just gets stuck on the apple ..

Last edited:

mcatt66

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2007
If you're on a Vista or W7 machine run Redsn0w in XP compatibility mode.

im on a macbook pro. . i am using the right ipsw 3,1 4.2.1_8C148 and redsnow?

thanks for your help. . its def appreciated

ssdeg7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
You can go back to 4.0 or 4.1 using TinyUmbrella or try unlocking your iPhone using RedSn0w, but for this to happen you'll have to use an iPad baseband (06. ... ) and this is tricky and may ruin your iPhone.

If you're an expert doing Jailbreak you may give it a shot, but read before you do it, investigate and know what you are doing before, because if you change the baseband and then do a restore then iTunes will not recognize your iPhone and you'll be stuck in recovery mode.

My suggestion: Go back to 4.1 and jailbreak your device.

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
You can go back to 4.0 or 4.1 using TinyUmbrella or try unlocking your iPhone using RedSn0w, but for this to happen you'll have to use an iPad baseband (06. ... ) and this is tricky and may ruin your iPhone.

If you're an expert doing Jailbreak you may give it a shot, but read before you do it, investigate and know what you are doing before, because if you change the baseband and then do a restore then iTunes will not recognize your iPhone and you'll be stuck in recovery mode.

My suggestion: Go back to 4.1 and jailbreak your device.

He can only go back to 4.0.x or 4.1 if the SHSH were saved.

mcatt66

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2007
nothing was saved. . im on itunes 10.1. . .

ill look into tinyumbrella. .

mcatt66

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2007
Thanks to both of you guys im in. . i used tinyumbrella to go back to 4.1 . .somehow i had the blob saved and then i used ultrasnow to jailbreak it. . im still not getting service but at least I can use all the opther functions and the wifi. .

thanks again for the help this was driving me nuts. .

ssdeg7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
Thanks to both of you guys im in. . i used tinyumbrella to go back to 4.1 . .somehow i had the blob saved and then i used ultrasnow to jailbreak it. . im still not getting service but at least I can use all the opther functions and the wifi. .

thanks again for the help this was driving me nuts. .

I'm glad it worked, you might need to unlock it again using Ultrasn0w, but you will need to see which Baseband your iPhone is currently at.

mcatt66

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2007
yeah i think im screwed because im at 4.1 but my baseband is 03.10.01

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.