Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rcjh22

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
On CultofMac.com today they had an article about a guy making predictions for Apple in 2011. http://xverse10.blogspot.com/2010/12/new-years-prediction-for-2011-from-x.html

This is what he said about the MacBook Pro - Apple will shock the world with redesigned MacBook Pro line that will be similar to MacBook Air by removing the optical drive so expect a 17" MacBook Pro weighing in 4.7 lbs. Apple New MacBook Pro will retained the back-lit keyboard,*Firewire 800 port and USB 2.0 ports. USB 3.0 haven't reached mass market saturation on usage*so Apple won't add production costs for something less than 5% of the Mac Community will use. The Core i5 will be 2.66GHz with a The 2.8GHz Core i7 will be the standard on high end and 2.93GHz Core i7 will be the build-to-configure order option. Samsung in 2009 did achieve a single 8GB DDR3 SODIMM so*expect a*16GB DDR3 memory configuration in 2011 MacBook Pro line.*Expect lower prices on SSD especially the 512GB to be lower by 15-25% from last year models. Expect a 768GB SSD Option. Also expect 256GB SSD to be a standard on the high-end MacBook Pro line. Display will still be 16:10 on some MacBook models like the Air*but MacBook Pro*line may get a 16:9 option. This is a plus because there will be more screen resolution like the 17" will be a*17.3" with a 2560 x 1440 resolution.

Summer 2011 Back to School Promo will be the best Apple ever had in its history. Why? Think of buying a MacBook Pro and getting a 8GB iPod Touch 4th Generation with FaceTime for FREE! Yeah and you will get up to $229 off the other iPod touches too so the 32GB will be $70 and 64GB will be $170. Plus now that Epic Games released Unreal Engine 3 Development Kits for iOS well as Infinity Blade expect it to be a dominate gaming console.

What do you guys think? Also would you prefer for this to happen to the Pro line?

darknite38

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2010
On CultofMac.com today they had an article about a guy making predictions for Apple in 2011. http://xverse10.blogspot.com/2010/12/new-years-prediction-for-2011-from-x.html

This is what he said about the MacBook Pro - Apple will shock the world with redesigned MacBook Pro line that will be similar to MacBook Air by removing the optical drive so expect a 17" MacBook Pro weighing in 4.7 lbs. Apple New MacBook Pro will retained the back-lit keyboard,*Firewire 800 port and USB 2.0 ports. USB 3.0 haven't reached mass market saturation on usage*so Apple won't add production costs for something less than 5% of the Mac Community will use. The Core i5 will be 2.66GHz with a The 2.8GHz Core i7 will be the standard on high end and 2.93GHz Core i7 will be the build-to-configure order option. Samsung in 2009 did achieve a single 8GB DDR3 SODIMM so*expect a*16GB DDR3 memory configuration in 2011 MacBook Pro line.*Expect lower prices on SSD especially the 512GB to be lower by 15-25% from last year models. Expect a 768GB SSD Option. Also expect 256GB SSD to be a standard on the high-end MacBook Pro line. Display will still be 16:10 on some MacBook models like the Air*but MacBook Pro*line may get a 16:9 option. This is a plus because there will be more screen resolution like the 17" will be a*17.3" with a 2560 x 1440 resolution.

Summer 2011 Back to School Promo will be the best Apple ever had in its history. Why? Think of buying a MacBook Pro and getting a 8GB iPod Touch 4th Generation with FaceTime for FREE! Yeah and you will get up to $229 off the other iPod touches too so the 32GB will be $70 and 64GB will be $170. Plus now that Epic Games released Unreal Engine 3 Development Kits for iOS well as Infinity Blade expect it to be a dominate gaming console.

What do you guys think? Also would you prefer for this to happen to the Pro line?

First of all, no to the SSD, just no. 256 standard is way too expensive and it will drive the base price of ridiculously. 768 GB SSD? Is he pulling these numbers out of his ass?

The 17 will not be a 17.3 with 2560 x 1440 - Way too high res and apple would rather have you buy an iMac or Apple Display with that resolution.

The optical drive will not be removed - Try next, next update.

16GB is questionable, could be true.

I guess I agree with everything else.

rcjh22

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
I thought the SSD was incredibly high as well. I don't think that will be standard until maybe 2012.

Optical I'm not sure. I think I read somewhere they were removing it and then having one 15" model with the optical still in it for people to choose. I doubt Apple would do that though.

dtodor

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2009
The Core i5 will be 2.66GHz with a The 2.8GHz Core i7 will be the standard on high end and 2.93GHz Core i7 will be the build-to-configure order option.

There is no such thing as mobile Core i7 with either 2.8 GHz or 2.93GHz. There is a Core i5 with 2.60 GHz but it is Arrandale. This guy has no idea what he is talking about!

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
There is no such thing as mobile Core i7 with either 2.8 GHz or 2.93GHz. There is a Core i5 with 2.60 GHz but it is Arrandale. This guy has no idea what he is talking about!
Agree if the guy cannot even get known facts right it is doubtful he has any idea what he is talking about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.