Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 2, 2011, 12:00 PM   #1
smithrh
macrumors 68000

Question Anyone here going month-to-month on ATT?

I'm considering giving a friend my old 3GS. However, Googling shows that AT&T generally likes to get people onto contracts even when people bring in owned iPhones.

Given that, I do see old posts out there which indicate that some people have had success in getting onto month-to-month plans. Has anyone here been successful in doing this?

TIA...
smithrh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2011, 12:03 PM   #2
forcetactic
macrumors 6502

Att should only force you on contract when you purchase a subsidized phone. If you bring your own in, it should be month by month I think
forcetactic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2011, 12:06 PM   #3
smithrh
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcetactic View Post
Att should only force you on contract when you purchase a subsidized phone. If you bring your own in, it should be month by month I think
Oh I agree - it *should*.

But many posts I've seen indicate that AT&T - honestly or not - will somehow get people onto a contract.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 12:14 PM   #4
forcetactic
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithrh View Post

But many posts I've seen indicate that AT&T - honestly or not - will somehow get people onto a contract.
http://www.att.com/Common/about_us/p..._2-23-2010.pdf

Show them 2nd page 1st paragraph if they refuse
forcetactic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2011, 12:16 PM   #5
ToroidalZeus
macrumors 65816

yes they will illegitimately put you into a 2 yr contract even with your own phone. happened to me. all you have to do is specify that won't be put into the contract.
ToroidalZeus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2011, 12:18 PM   #6
smithrh
macrumors 68000

Good, thanks.

But there are still lots of data points which indicate that people are being forced into contracts.... interesting.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 12:37 PM   #7
ToroidalZeus
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Good, thanks.

But there are still lots of data points which indicate that people are being forced into contracts.... interesting.
it's not forced so much as default. when you go to the store to add an extra line to you account they default to a 2yr contract on that line instead of month to month. i guess it's a way to trap suckers with contracts they don't deserve; times like these i am glad we have lawyers.
ToroidalZeus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2011, 03:33 PM   #8
PharmDoc
macrumors 6502

I did this with 2 iphone 3Gs'. You have to specify that you want a 0 month contract. They asked me why and I said I want to wait for the next version of the iphone to come out before I signed a contract. I was also waiting to see if the phone would come out for verizon before getting locked in to AT&T.
PharmDoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2011, 03:36 PM   #9
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:

Yes if you're not careful AT&T reps might hose you.
Make sure and verify or get it written that you are not under contract if you bring in your own phone and get no subsidy.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2011, 03:47 PM   #10
bikedogrun
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Yes if you're not careful AT&T reps might hose you.
Make sure and verify or get it written that you are not under contract if you bring in your own phone and get no subsidy.
Yes. You can DEFINITELY bring your own iPhone to AT&T and start a month-to-month contract.

I have done this twice in the last 6 months or so and it is not a problem whether you do it in a corporate AT&T store (wouldn't try it @ a mall kiosk) or over the phone. Your paperwork from AT&T will clearly state that your contract end date is today (i.e. the day you begin the new contract).

/BD
bikedogrun is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2011, 03:51 PM   #11
smithrh
macrumors 68000

Thanks for the input...

I won't actually be the one talking to AT&T, it will be the person I'm considering giving the phone to. I'll stress to him to insist on a no contract plan and to get that in writing. I've noticed on some other (non-MacRumors) posts that the affiliate stores seem to be the worst offenders in this regard so I'll tell him to go to a corporate store if this goes through.

Of course, if Verizon announces the iPhone will be on their network then I'll tell him to get one of those instead - he needs minimal dropped calls as this phone will be both personal and business use. If there's no announcement within a week of CES ending we'll try AT&T and see how he does with dropped calls where he is.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 04:17 PM   #12
Aatos.1
macrumors 6502

No, I'm on a contract with AT&T and have received nothing but great speed, connectivity, and service over the last five years.
Aatos.1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone