Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod, iPad, Apple Watch > iPod

Old Mar 11, 2015, 09:47 PM   #1
GraniteTheWolf
macrumors regular

My Little iPod Lineup

I recently started collecting iPods with the intention of using them (no boxed wonders here) and with that I have been coming here to read up on the cool ways we can modify and upgrade these gems!

The 2 nanos are my work iPods, the newer one being my backup whenever my 5th gen decides to die on me or breaks for whatever reason.

The 5.5 gen 30gb iPod video was the very first iPod I ever purchased! I cant believe how good it sounds with my ATH-M50X headphones. I plan to put a new battery in it as the one in it I have cycled SO many times going through high school.

The Mini is my current priority project. Its a pristine 6gb 2nd gen that I already have a new battery for. Next in line is a CF type 1 to SDXC adapter and a 128GB SD class 10 card.

The 3rd gen is a 15gb model that I got for free from doing a favor for a friend of mine. Its in dire need of a new battery, and thats all I plan to put in it. Currently the battery only manages 3 to 4 hours of playback, sometimes less.

On the far left and lastly is my latest acquisition. A 20gb 2nd Generation iPod that works beautifully. Ive been listening about 3 hours and so far the battery is still reported as "full" Im unsure what I wanna do with it for now, I may just keep it original and enjoy it as is.

Thanks for sharing all your little projects guys. Figure I would start my own update thread as I work through these. Will be some time before I get to them all.
Self-Built 2008 Mac Pro(sold)

Last edited by GraniteTheWolf; Mar 11, 2015 at 10:08 PM.
GraniteTheWolf is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2015, 11:47 PM   #2
rgarjr
macrumors 603

Cool looking pods. Here's some pics of my pods with the 4GB Microdrive upgrade to flash media. Blue with 32GB SDHC card using Tarkans CF-to-SD adapter. Silver with 32GB Compact Flash.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0163.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	534498   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0164.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	534499  

Last edited by rgarjr; Mar 17, 2015 at 07:45 PM.
rgarjr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2015, 11:53 AM   #3
gooser
macrumors 6502

granite, you are aware that the second generation one you have is the only one you've got that will sync with itunes on those clamshells you've got while in os9 don't you? of course you do. looks like a keeper to me.
gooser is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2015, 03:48 PM   #4
GraniteTheWolf
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooser View Post
granite, you are aware that the second generation one you have is the only one you've got that will sync with itunes on those clamshells you've got while in os9 don't you? of course you do. looks like a keeper to me.
Oh really now? Nice! I didnt know but to be honest it doesn't surprise me as old as it is.

I managed to get over 8, maybe about 9 hours of listen time with a short break here and there. It still had a 1/4 battery life left. I have a feeling the battery was replaced in the recent past. I know it will get at least 10 to 12 hours of play time out of it, maybe a bit more even.
GraniteTheWolf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2015, 09:43 PM   #5
coleblk
macrumors member

Great collection! I wish my Mini still worked.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 06:23 AM   #6
jruschme
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by coleblk View Post
Great collection! I wish my Mini still worked.
What's wrong with it?
jruschme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2015, 09:01 AM   #7
Scepticalscribe
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteTheWolf View Post
I recently started collecting iPods with the intention of using them (no boxed wonders here) and with that I have been coming here to read up on the cool ways we can modify and upgrade these gems! Image

The 2 nanos are my work iPods, the newer one being my backup whenever my 5th gen decides to die on me or breaks for whatever reason.

The 5.5 gen 30gb iPod video was the very first iPod I ever purchased! I cant believe how good it sounds with my ATH-M50X headphones. I plan to put a new battery in it as the one in it I have cycled SO many times going through high school.

The Mini is my current priority project. Its a pristine 6gb 2nd gen that I already have a new battery for. Next in line is a CF type 1 to SDXC adapter and a 128GB SD class 10 card.

The 3rd gen is a 15gb model that I got for free from doing a favor for a friend of mine. Its in dire need of a new battery, and thats all I plan to put in it. Currently the battery only manages 3 to 4 hours of playback, sometimes less.

On the far left and lastly is my latest acquisition. A 20gb 2nd Generation iPod that works beautifully. Ive been listening about 3 hours and so far the battery is still reported as "full" Im unsure what I wanna do with it for now, I may just keep it original and enjoy it as is.

Thanks for sharing all your little projects guys. Figure I would start my own update thread as I work through these. Will be some time before I get to them all.
Great collection and interesting stories, too, to accompany them.

Long may you enjoy them.
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2015, 06:09 PM   #8
GraniteTheWolf
macrumors regular

Thanks guys.

As for my 2nd gen I was testing it looks like someone recently put a brand new battery into it. I listened to it for a good 9 hours and still had 1/4 battery life left. I probably could of hit 12 hours if I had enough time lol

Today my new battery came in for my 3rd gen but they sent me a defective one. The solder wasn't even holding the negative lead to the battery's little circuit board, it came off by barely moving its wires while I was installing it into the old ipod. I have a better quality battery coming now, I hope lol.

As for my 2nd Gen Mini I have the SD to CF type I adapter on the way. All I have left to order for that is a 128gb SD card then I can get that little project done.
GraniteTheWolf is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod, iPad, Apple Watch > iPod