Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Aug 8, 2014, 09:48 AM   #1
satchmo
macrumors 6502

iPod nano 8th Gen requested features

I know, I know, no one's waiting for a new iPod nano.

But I am. I wish there was something that really catered to runners and people who work out.

The 6th gen square was a great size if you wore it as a watch...no GPS, no BT.
The iPod Shuffle is great for no look advancing of tracks with it's physical buttons, but no display, no BT, no GPS.

The current nano is close. Good size for holding, not so much as a watch...and it lacks a GPS.

Will there be an 8th gen nano?
I wouldn't mind if they kept it the same form factor and simply dropped in a GPS.
But perhaps this is treading on iPhone/Touch territory.
satchmo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2014, 10:28 AM   #2
iPodJedi
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchmo View Post
I know, I know, no one's waiting for a new iPod nano.

But I am. I wish there was something that really catered to runners and people who work out.

The 6th gen square was a great size if you wore it as a watch...no GPS, no BT.
The iPod Shuffle is great for no look advancing of tracks with it's physical buttons, but no display, no BT, no GPS.

The current nano is close. Good size for holding, not so much as a watch...and it lacks a GPS.

I wouldn't mind if they kept it the same form factor and simply dropped in a GPS.
But perhaps this is treading on iPhone/Touch territory.
I love my seventh gen nano, and it's an amazing workout tool. I do agree with you that there are some improvements to be made that can make it even better!
I like the size and shape, basically everything about the nano physically. I would love GPS like what is in that nike+ watch. And I think (similar to the iwatch) it would be nice if you could pair it with your iphone, but as I think about that I think maybe the nano doesn't need that because the iwatch should be able to do everything the nano can do...at this point with no rumors, it's hard to tell.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 03:21 PM   #3
12vElectronics
macrumors 6502a

I'm a big iPod fan but even I don't think there's much hope for more in the iPod line. It'll probably just be a carryover...
Old Aug 10, 2014, 03:13 PM   #4
tobefirst
macrumors 68030

Two features would make me buy one tomorrow: water resistance and a belt clip. I used a 6th gen nano for running until I cracked the screen and sweat got in and now the screen won't work, followed by a 2nd gen shuffle whose power lock stopped working this morning, presumably because I sweat too much. (: I'd buy one of those waterproof shuffles if it weren't so expensive. Perhaps that'll go on my Christmas list or something.

I want an mp3 player that can be clipped to my waistband (I don't want an armband), withstand sweat, and ideally sync to my bluetooth headphones. It doesn't even have to be an Apple product at this point. I sync so rarely that I would put up with that difficulty if I could find something that lasted and met those criteria.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 01:19 PM   #5
nutmac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchmo View Post
If Apple keeps iPod nano in the 2014-15 line up, I suspect it will be a 7th generation carry over with iOS 7 style redesign.

I don't think iPod nano will get a full update because (1) while profitable, it represents a small fraction of Apple's revenue and earnings, (2) I suspect iWatch will be a superset of iPod nano, and (3) iWatch is rumored to arrive in several price tiers, so it is entirely possible for low-end model to overlap iPod nano's price.
nutmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2014, 03:33 PM   #6
iJcaP
macrumors regular

Wi-Fi with iTunes in the cloud streaming would be nice. Also some implementation of beats Music would be cool too.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 06:14 PM   #7
12vElectronics
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iJcaP View Post
Wi-Fi with iTunes in the cloud streaming would be nice. Also some implementation of beats Music would be cool too.
Why on earth would we need wifi and itunes on a device used by most for working out/connecting to their car stereo? It seems what you want is an iPhone, not an iPod.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 08:11 PM   #8
iJcaP
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12vElectronics View Post
Why on earth would we need wifi and itunes on a device used by most for working out/connecting to their car stereo? It seems what you want is an iPhone, not an iPod.
It may be idiotic but it was just an idea. Anyway, they may lower the price and make it even more affordable. Thus, it would be more affordable than an iPhone or iPod touch.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 08:46 PM   #9
12vElectronics
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iJcaP View Post
It may be idiotic but it was just an idea. Anyway, they may lower the price and make it even more affordable. Thus, it would be more affordable than an iPhone or iPod touch.
Don't see Apple adding features and lowering the price on what's considered a dead market.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 09:26 AM   #10
mgipe
macrumors Demi-God

More memory!
mgipe is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod