Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 24, 2014, 11:01 AM   #1
iRock1
macrumors 6502a
 
iRock1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Looking for a refurbished, modded iPod Video. Possible?

I want to get a lovely iPod Video. (Sorry, Apple, but the iPhone and its horrid Music app doesn't cut it).

However, I need it to be modded in certain aspects, so it can be on pair with the needs of current times.

Description if this mythical creature:

- 5.5 Gen
- White version
- Slim profile (30 GB model)
- SSD 128 GB
- New battery (great if extended)
- New chrome back (no scratches)
- Integrated BlueTooth receiver

Is there a dedicated company that could give me this? Because I've been browsing some websites but I don't see some of the required mods, even though I know they can be done.

I'd buy the hardware and do it by myself, but I'm lazy and have no patience, haha.
__________________
I've just realized that listing every Apple product I own on my signature is stupid. Please be aware: no one will give you a price for having lots of Apple products. As a matter of fact, no one cares.
iRock1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2014, 07:09 PM   #2
iRock1
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
iRock1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Ok, as this might look a little bit difficult to get, perhaps I could do some modding by myself.

Honestly, the HDD replacement doesn't look difficult at all, though I'm not too familiar with the BT installation.

I found a guide that says I should be soldering and that's where my DIY spirit stops. Besides, it says that an 80 GB case is mandatory but I want my iPod to keep the slim profile. Though that guide is old, I guess there would be smaller BT receivers nowadays, as easier ways to put them inside an iPod Video.

Ideas?
__________________
I've just realized that listing every Apple product I own on my signature is stupid. Please be aware: no one will give you a price for having lots of Apple products. As a matter of fact, no one cares.
iRock1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2014, 11:57 PM   #3
matthew2926
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRock1 View Post
I want to get a lovely iPod Video. (Sorry, Apple, but the iPhone and its horrid Music app doesn't cut it).

However, I need it to be modded in certain aspects, so it can be on pair with the needs of current times.

Description if this mythical creature:

- 5.5 Gen
- White version
- Slim profile (30 GB model)
- SSD 128 GB
- New battery (great if extended)
- New chrome back (no scratches)
- Integrated BlueTooth receiver

Is there a dedicated company that could give me this? Because I've been browsing some websites but I don't see some of the required mods, even though I know they can be done.

I'd buy the hardware and do it by myself, but I'm lazy and have no patience, haha.
I recently completed 2 iPod video projects. Everything you intend to do is completely possible but the integrated Bluetooth receiver is probably one of the hardest parts. First off, there is no way to keep the slim form factor while adding Bluetooth. There just isn't any room. Also, no company that I can find would be willing to do the Bluetooth installation because it involves unfamiliar soldering in spots of the iPod Video board that were never intended to be soldered on. It's just too dangerous for companies to install. Optionally, you could purchase a simple Bluetooth transmitter that would plug into the headphone port and stream anything that you played to whatever Bluetooth speaker it is connected to. I have a transmitter/receiver made by Anker and it is really nice.

As for the hard drive, if your only looking for 128GB I would recommend going with a CF/SD card based hard drive rather than an SSD. This will TREMENDOUSLY improve battery life as well as be about the same cost. CF cards are expensive so what you would want to do is buy Tarkan's iFlash bundle which included the iFlash that allows you to use CF cards as the hard drive. This bundle also includes a CF to SD adapter which means that instead of using a CF card as the hard drive, you will be really using an SD card, which is much cheaper. From there, you would just then buy a 128GB SD card and stick it in the adapter.


For the battery, the thicker iPod Video can hold a larger battery. For this, you will have to decide if you want a thick iPod with a bigger battery or a slim iPod with a smaller battery. Pretty straightforward.

As for assembling it all, I would be happy to do it for you for a small fee. You would buy the parts and then ship them to me and I would ship the completed iPod to you when it's done. If you would rather do it yourself, I am happy to walk you through the whole process and give you guidance for free. I am more than willing to help you select parts, make decisions, etc.

Let me know what you decide! I have been working on iPods for a long time and the Video is a very nice product, especially when modded to your needs.

----------

Here is a link to the Anker Bluetooth transmitter/receiver. It's very small, convenient and easy to use.
http://ianker.com/product/99ANRECV-02BA

Also, here is a link to Tarkan's page where he sells his products, including the iFlash bundle that I was telling you about. He also has the iFlash SATA piece that you would need to use an SSD but the iFlash CF bundle would be much more battery conservative and probably more cost effective.
http://www.tarkan.info/store
matthew2926 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2014, 10:59 AM   #4
iRock1
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
iRock1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew2926 View Post
I recently completed 2 iPod video projects. Everything you intend to do is completely possible but the integrated Bluetooth receiver is probably one of the hardest parts. First off, there is no way to keep the slim form factor while adding Bluetooth. There just isn't any room. Also, no company that I can find would be willing to do the Bluetooth installation because it involves unfamiliar soldering in spots of the iPod Video board that were never intended to be soldered on. It's just too dangerous for companies to install. Optionally, you could purchase a simple Bluetooth transmitter that would plug into the headphone port and stream anything that you played to whatever Bluetooth speaker it is connected to. I have a transmitter/receiver made by Anker and it is really nice.



As for the hard drive, if your only looking for 128GB I would recommend going with a CF/SD card based hard drive rather than an SSD. This will TREMENDOUSLY improve battery life as well as be about the same cost. CF cards are expensive so what you would want to do is buy Tarkan's iFlash bundle which included the iFlash that allows you to use CF cards as the hard drive. This bundle also includes a CF to SD adapter which means that instead of using a CF card as the hard drive, you will be really using an SD card, which is much cheaper. From there, you would just then buy a 128GB SD card and stick it in the adapter.





For the battery, the thicker iPod Video can hold a larger battery. For this, you will have to decide if you want a thick iPod with a bigger battery or a slim iPod with a smaller battery. Pretty straightforward.



As for assembling it all, I would be happy to do it for you for a small fee. You would buy the parts and then ship them to me and I would ship the completed iPod to you when it's done. If you would rather do it yourself, I am happy to walk you through the whole process and give you guidance for free. I am more than willing to help you select parts, make decisions, etc.



Let me know what you decide! I have been working on iPods for a long time and the Video is a very nice product, especially when modded to your needs.



----------



Here is a link to the Anker Bluetooth transmitter/receiver. It's very small, convenient and easy to use.

http://ianker.com/product/99ANRECV-02BA



Also, here is a link to Tarkan's page where he sells his products, including the iFlash bundle that I was telling you about. He also has the iFlash SATA piece that you would need to use an SSD but the iFlash CF bundle would be much more battery conservative and probably more cost effective.

http://www.tarkan.info/store

Wonderful. Thanks a lot for your post.

I've decided to take the SD-card-path. It's just simpler, cheaper, safer and it offers more battery life.

Also I've decided to replace the hard disk only. With the superior battery life that the use of an SD card provides I think that's enough for my needs and I don't feel particularly tempted to change the stock battery. Also, I'm giving up on the idea of installing an internal BT module. Just too much pain.

I'll buy the components that you mentioned and I'll do the mod by myself. For one, because it doesn't seem difficult at all and I might enjoy learning and doing this project. The other reason is because I've found a brand new, sealed iPod Video whose unboxing should be done by myself, lol.

And regarding the latest, how much would you pay for it? It's selling for $400 and I don't know if it's a rip-off or not (perhaps it's even a scam, considering how rare a sealed iPod from late 2006 would be). I mean, it's almost a collector's item, but on the other hand it clearly doesn't stand to nowadays standards when it comes to DAPs.
__________________
I've just realized that listing every Apple product I own on my signature is stupid. Please be aware: no one will give you a price for having lots of Apple products. As a matter of fact, no one cares.
iRock1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2014, 12:11 PM   #5
matthew2926
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRock1 View Post
Wonderful. Thanks a lot for your post.

I've decided to take the SD-card-path. It's just simpler, cheaper, safer and it offers more battery life.

Also I've decided to replace the hard disk only. With the superior battery life that the use of an SD card provides I think that's enough for my needs and I don't feel particularly tempted to change the stock battery. Also, I'm giving up on the idea of installing an internal BT module. Just too much pain.

I'll buy the components that you mentioned and I'll do the mod by myself. For one, because it doesn't seem difficult at all and I might enjoy learning and doing this project. The other reason is because I've found a brand new, sealed iPod Video whose unboxing should be done by myself, lol.

And regarding the latest, how much would you pay for it? It's selling for $400 and I don't know if it's a rip-off or not (perhaps it's even a scam, considering how rare a sealed iPod from late 2006 would be). I mean, it's almost a collector's item, but on the other hand it clearly doesn't stand to nowadays standards when it comes to DAPs.
If you're looking to mod the iPod, then I wouldn't buy one that is brand new! You can save a ton of money by buying one with a broken hard drive and simply fixing it with the SD hard drive. I got my 5.5gen for $30 with a dead hard drive and a scratched up front. $400 is insane considering that you're gonna mod it anyways. If you need, I can help you find a Video with a dead HDD for a MUCH more reasonable price.
matthew2926 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2014, 12:45 PM   #6
iRock1
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
iRock1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Looking for a refurbished, modded iPod Video. Possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew2926 View Post
If you're looking to mod the iPod, then I wouldn't buy one that is brand new! You can save a ton of money by buying one with a broken hard drive and simply fixing it with the SD hard drive. I got my 5.5gen for $30 with a dead hard drive and a scratched up front. $400 is insane considering that you're gonna mod it anyways. If you need, I can help you find a Video with a dead HDD for a MUCH more reasonable price.

While it might seem unreasonable at first to buy a brand new iPod just to open it up, I think there are some advantages.

First: it's undeniable the value of this particular model. For a lot of people (myself included), this was the best click-wheel iPod ever made, not only because of its Wolfson chip, but also because of its design.

Second: these iPods obviously are SUPER easy to scratch, specially on the back. Because of this, it's practically impossible to get a perfect-looking iPod Video nowadays. Therefore a brand new iPod represents a big temptation to me.

Third: the collector's factor. It's always nice to have the opportunity to do a real unboxing of a discontinued product, seeing all the contents bundled in its original for and stuff specially if it was released 8 years ago and it's a true emblem in consumer technology history, as I think the iPod 5th gen is. Nerdy? Probably.

And fourth: you can't go wrong with a sealed product. And while it's true that there is a real industry of refurbished iPod Videos out there, there's always a risk of having broken or malfunctioning parts when somebody else putted their hands on it.

Obviously I'd love to get a brand new iPod for the same price that it was sold at during 2006 and 2007, but I guess this is the "collector's" cost.

Now, if you tell me that it's possible to find a much less expensive iPod, with its case in perfect condition and perhaps a non-working HDD, I could definitely consider it.

Thanks again and cheers!

---

EDIT: other users have recommended me to buy an used iPod, getting a new back encase and to replace the original one by myself. Though I'd definitely save a lot of money and still get a perfect-looking iPod Video, I'm not sure about how complex the case replacement process is.

I've seen some guides in iFixit, but this looks a little bit more difficult to me than just replacing the hard disk. Or would you say that if I already opened up the iPod, it's not such a big deal?

BTW, these are the back encases that I was talking about. Supposedly they are completely scratch-free and look identical to the original ones: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00EN4...sbs_2?pi=SS115
__________________
I've just realized that listing every Apple product I own on my signature is stupid. Please be aware: no one will give you a price for having lots of Apple products. As a matter of fact, no one cares.

Last edited by iRock1; Sep 29, 2014 at 02:44 PM.
iRock1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2014, 03:09 PM   #7
matthew2926
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRock1 View Post
While it might seem unreasonable at first to buy a brand new iPod just to open it up, I think there are some advantages.

First: it's undeniable the value of this particular model. For a lot of people (myself included), this was the best click-wheel iPod ever made, not only because of its Wolfson chip, but also because of its design.

Second: these iPods obviously are SUPER easy to scratch, specially on the back. Because of this, it's practically impossible to get a perfect-looking iPod Video nowadays. Therefore a brand new iPod represents a big temptation to me.

Third: the collector's factor. It's always nice to have the opportunity to do a real unboxing of a discontinued product, seeing all the contents bundled in its original for and stuff specially if it was released 8 years ago and it's a true emblem in consumer technology history, as I think the iPod 5th gen is. Nerdy? Probably.

And fourth: you can't go wrong with a sealed product. And while it's true that there is a real industry of refurbished iPod Videos out there, there's always a risk of having broken or malfunctioning parts when somebody else putted their hands on it.

Obviously I'd love to get a brand new iPod for the same price that it was sold at during 2006 and 2007, but I guess this is the "collector's" cost.

Now, if you tell me that it's possible to find a much less expensive iPod, with its case in perfect condition and perhaps a non-working HDD, I could definitely consider it.

Thanks again and cheers!

---

EDIT: other users have recommended me to buy an used iPod, getting a new back encase and to replace the original one by myself. Though I'd definitely save a lot of money and still get a perfect-looking iPod Video, I'm not sure about how complex the case replacement process is.

I've seen some guides in iFixit, but this looks a little bit more difficult to me than just replacing the hard disk. Or would you say that if I already opened up the iPod, it's not such a big deal?

BTW, these are the back encases that I was talking about. Supposedly they are completely scratch-free and look identical to the original ones: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00EN4...sbs_2?pi=SS115
The back case replacement is very easy once you have the iPod opened. The only thing is that the thick and thin iPod videos use different headphone and hold switches. What this means is that if you were to buy a used thick Video and wanted to put a slim back on it, you would also have to buy a new headphone/hold switch module which is very cheap. However, if you bought a used slim Video, you could simply buy a new back cover (the one you linked would work) and then simply transfer over the existing headphone/hold switch module. In addition, a used iPod Video might also have some scratches on the front housing as well. This can be easily replaced too for around $10. The benefit of this is that you can change the color of the front housing, the clickwheel, and the select button all in the same process. Personally, I like my Video with a white front housing, a black clickwheel, and a white select button, but the choice is yours. They also make aftermarket parts that come in a wide variety of non-stock colors. Also, eBay is a great place to look for parts. Feel free to link me to parts that you are considering as I can help to check for comparability and similar things.
matthew2926 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2014, 08:54 PM   #8
iRock1
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
iRock1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew2926 View Post
The back case replacement is very easy once you have the iPod opened. The only thing is that the thick and thin iPod videos use different headphone and hold switches. What this means is that if you were to buy a used thick Video and wanted to put a slim back on it, you would also have to buy a new headphone/hold switch module which is very cheap. However, if you bought a used slim Video, you could simply buy a new back cover (the one you linked would work) and then simply transfer over the existing headphone/hold switch module. In addition, a used iPod Video might also have some scratches on the front housing as well. This can be easily replaced too for around $10. The benefit of this is that you can change the color of the front housing, the clickwheel, and the select button all in the same process. Personally, I like my Video with a white front housing, a black clickwheel, and a white select button, but the choice is yours. They also make aftermarket parts that come in a wide variety of non-stock colors. Also, eBay is a great place to look for parts. Feel free to link me to parts that you are considering as I can help to check for comparability and similar things.
I'll be honest. The only thing stopping me from starting this project right away is the fact that I'll be buying a device that doesn't look like if it was brand new. And I'm a little bit OCD when it comes to the things I spend money on and how they look.

The problem with these alternative cases is that they are not original. And that has nothing to do with a supposedly lower quality but with the fake inscriptions on the back. A decently observant person could notice the thicker font and details like that. And I couldn't feel that my iPod is truly an iPod if it has some fake design on it.

You said that you have completed some projects related to the 5th gen iPod. Do you have any suggestion when it comes to these cases? Like what's the more Apple-like and nicest one?
__________________
I've just realized that listing every Apple product I own on my signature is stupid. Please be aware: no one will give you a price for having lots of Apple products. As a matter of fact, no one cares.
iRock1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2014, 10:45 AM   #9
matthew2926
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRock1 View Post
I'll be honest. The only thing stopping me from starting this project right away is the fact that I'll be buying a device that doesn't look like if it was brand new. And I'm a little bit OCD when it comes to the things I spend money on and how they look.

The problem with these alternative cases is that they are not original. And that has nothing to do with a supposedly lower quality but with the fake inscriptions on the back. A decently observant person could notice the thicker font and details like that. And I couldn't feel that my iPod is truly an iPod if it has some fake design on it.

You said that you have completed some projects related to the 5th gen iPod. Do you have any suggestion when it comes to these cases? Like what's the more Apple-like and nicest one?
No suggestions in terms of back cases. I just use the one that the used iPod came with because I don't really mind the scratches. Also, I have bought brand new backs but the serial numbers never match. This doesn't really bother me either. If you have the money and are willing to spend it, then buy the brand new one and mod that. If you can tolerate scratches or mismatching serial numbers then used is the way to go because you will save big money. It's your call in the end.
matthew2926 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2014, 05:34 PM   #10
iRock1
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
iRock1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Looking for a refurbished, modded iPod Video. Possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew2926 View Post
No suggestions in terms of back cases. I just use the one that the used iPod came with because I don't really mind the scratches. Also, I have bought brand new backs but the serial numbers never match. This doesn't really bother me either. If you have the money and are willing to spend it, then buy the brand new one and mod that. If you can tolerate scratches or mismatching serial numbers then used is the way to go because you will save big money. It's your call in the end.


Well, it turns out that I can get a sealed, brand new iPod Video for a pretty decent amount. I won't miss the opportunity, so I'll buy that instead of an used one for sure.



It might be a few weeks until I get to start the project though, as I don't live in the US, so...



But as soon as I find some problem, I'll get to you.
__________________
I've just realized that listing every Apple product I own on my signature is stupid. Please be aware: no one will give you a price for having lots of Apple products. As a matter of fact, no one cares.

Last edited by iRock1; Oct 8, 2014 at 09:37 AM.
iRock1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2014, 09:00 PM   #11
matthew2926
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRock1 View Post
Well, it turns out that I can get a sealed, brand new iPod Video for a pretty decent amount. I won't miss the opportunity, so I'll but that instead of an used one for sure.

It might be a few weeks until I get to start the project, though, as I don't live in the US, so...

But as soon as I find some problem, I'll get to you.
Haha okay, I look forward to it
matthew2926 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2014, 12:11 PM   #12
iRock1
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
iRock1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew2926 View Post
Haha okay, I look forward to it
Hi. I received my factory-sealed, 30 GB iPod 5.5G and so far I'm very happy with it.

However, the battery life could be much better, specially as I've got used to nowadays standards (my iPhone 5 provides 40 hours of music playback).

Now two questions:

1) is it possible to increase battery life, replacing the stock one by another battery with more mAh and the same slim profile?

2) How much battery life do you gain replacing the HDD by the iFlash bundle, with the stock battery?

Thanks for your help!
__________________
I've just realized that listing every Apple product I own on my signature is stupid. Please be aware: no one will give you a price for having lots of Apple products. As a matter of fact, no one cares.
iRock1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice on a refurbished MBP: 16 or 8 RAM? which video card? which processor? oxband MacBook Pro 8 May 26, 2014 12:33 AM
Refurbished iPod touch pooleman iPod touch 36 May 19, 2014 12:33 PM
Refurbished vs New iPod touch .Asa iPod touch 5 May 31, 2013 04:09 PM
Refurbished MacBook Pro Video & Cursor Problems radarsofar MacBook Pro 3 May 28, 2013 05:30 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:13 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC