Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod, iPad, Apple Watch > iPod

Old Feb 11, 2015, 05:01 PM   #1
andreyirra
macrumors member

iPod Nan 1st gen, how safe is it to use it?

I collect iPods for the sake of it. I'm about to buy a 1st gen iPod Nano.

The recall program seems to be directed at all iPods sold until december 2006, way until the second generation was being sold, although it seems as there is only a supplier who was at fault.

I don't have access to the serial number right now so my question is this. Is it safe to use it? Are there any reports of one exploding?
Old Feb 15, 2015, 01:20 AM   #2
DieBeachballDie
macrumors member

I have the very first Nano released, the very one their recall wants. I've had it for 10 years now, used it at least 340-350 days a year, often for 2-4 hours a day. Its been around the world more than once. Never a problem. Only now, as in the past month or so, because my headphone jack got broken am i thinking about sending it in for the recall.
DieBeachballDie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2015, 09:35 AM   #3
DreamGuardian
macrumors newbie

Statistically speaking it is very rare for the iPod to explode. If those explosion were common Apple would had issued a recall way earlier.
DreamGuardian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2015, 10:24 PM   #4
jrlcopy
macrumors 6502

I'm shocked that this recall program is still a thing, my friend gave me a bunch of their old gear, 1st gen macbook, broken iphones, etc.. and I'm going through them now, and lo and behold, 1st gen ipod nano, just tossed in a support request through the website, and apparently a box is on it's way to me... ha.

I remember they were replacing it with the 4th gen models at the time, wonder if that's still the case. Would love to get either that or the 5th gen with the clip. I can't stand the current version without the clip.

EDIT: Here's the website I used, automated process it looks like. https://www.apple.com/support/ipodnano_replacement/
Old Apr 26, 2015, 11:41 PM   #5
Slix
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrlcopy View Post
I'm shocked that this recall program is still a thing, my friend gave me a bunch of their old gear, 1st gen macbook, broken iphones, etc.. and I'm going through them now, and lo and behold, 1st gen ipod nano, just tossed in a support request through the website, and apparently a box is on it's way to me... ha.

I remember they were replacing it with the 4th gen models at the time, wonder if that's still the case. Would love to get either that or the 5th gen with the clip. I can't stand the current version without the clip.

EDIT: Here's the website I used, automated process it looks like. https://www.apple.com/support/ipodnano_replacement/
I got a 6th gen when it was first put up because they ran out of 1st gen refurbs really quickly, but my friend sent one in last summer, and got a 7th gen back. So you'll likely get a 7th gen. :P
Old Apr 30, 2015, 12:57 AM   #6
jrlcopy
macrumors 6502

Yep, looks like I get a 16GB 7th Gen. Pretty sweet upgrade. Shame I didn't get to pick my color though.

EDIT: It was the silver one, and it also came with a free 30pin to lighting adapter... ha, that's awesome.

Last edited by jrlcopy; Apr 30, 2015 at 02:44 PM.
jrlcopy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2015, 08:33 AM   #7
jdogg836
macrumors regular

What kind of time frame does this process usually take? I know typically Apple turnaround is approximately a week on warranty things, does this take longer?
jdogg836 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2015, 11:46 PM   #8
Slix
macrumors 6502

Mine took almost a full 6 weeks, but it was back when this offer was first around so they were being flooded with requests I'm sure. Now, it's probably much quicker. Most likely less than 2 or 3 weeks I'd say.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod, iPad, Apple Watch > iPod