Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Sep 12, 2007, 09:26 AM   #1
speedemonV12
macrumors 6502

Increase MP3 Volume

hi, how can i increase the mp3 volume of select music files? I have some files that I want to use for ringtones, but they are not loud enough...
speedemonV12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2007, 09:34 AM   #2
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

Click on a track, choose Get Info from the File menu and adjust the volume in the Options pane.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 09:49 AM   #3
rmlloyd
macrumors newbie

Audacity may help

You can use a free program such as Audacity which can support mp3 via plugins. It has an 'Amplify' effect which you could use to increase the volume of your mp3s, save them off.

Ontop of all that, you can cut/paste to your hearts content to get the perfect ringtone
rmlloyd is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2007, 10:02 AM   #4
speedemonV12
macrumors 6502

thanks... ill use that for now, but is there a way to do this without putting it into itunes?
speedemonV12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2007, 10:21 AM   #5
iMJustAGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedemonV12 View Post
hi, how can i increase the mp3 volume of select music files? I have some files that I want to use for ringtones, but they are not loud enough...
Just letting you know, when you do this a lot of times, the quality of the music gets decreased a lot.
iMJustAGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 02:45 AM   #6
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

Just out of interest, how does the quality decrease when the volume increases? Not that it matters for a ring tone...
Old Sep 13, 2007, 10:14 AM   #7
iMJustAGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad jew View Post
Just out of interest, how does the quality decrease when the volume increases? Not that it matters for a ring tone...
if u exceed the normal 100% volume, of course it would loose quality, and get "fuzzy".
iMJustAGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 10:16 AM   #8
Cheesecake
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad jew View Post
Digital Clipping occurs when higher volumes are reached, which takes chunks of sound that was once there and makes it less listenable. Basically, you lose a part of the song. It's often called 'The Wall of Sound' production. It sounds louder but you lose quality and finer detail because of it.

But like you said, ain't no thang for a ringtone.
Cheesecake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 10:42 AM   #9
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

Ahh I never knew that. Thanks for the info!
Old Aug 8, 2010, 05:28 AM   #10
jon08
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesecake View Post
Digital Clipping occurs when higher volumes are reached, which takes chunks of sound that was once there and makes it less listenable. Basically, you lose a part of the song. It's often called 'The Wall of Sound' production. It sounds louder but you lose quality and finer detail because of it.

But like you said, ain't no thang for a ringtone.
Wow, this thread is 3 years old.. but let me revive it real quick with a question: if I use the "Volume Adjustment" option in iTunes for certain songs, will it also be considered "Digital Clipping"? In other words, will it affect the sound quality in any way at all, or is it just going to make the song louder (without taking "chunks of sound") that's all?

Thanks!

 iPhone 6 64 GB 
jon08 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2010, 12:57 PM   #11
The Sheck
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon08 View Post
Wow, this thread is 3 years old.. but let me revive it real quick with a question: if I use the "Volume Adjustment" option in iTunes for certain songs, will it also be considered "Digital Clipping"? In other words, will it affect the sound quality in any way at all, or is it just going to make the song louder (without taking "chunks of sound") that's all?

Thanks!
Depends on how much you increase the volume. I've found with most .mp3 tracks that I've changed the volume on, slightly moving the meter to the right (a good place to start is halfway between the norm annd first bar). That little bit makes your quiet(er) tracks sound great! In fact, I joke around with friends who want to buy "remastered" albums to just move the meter to the right slightly to get the same effect. Then, I charge them $15.
The Sheck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:00 AM   #12
Daniel Silveira
macrumors newbie

Mpeg streamclip

It exports audio in different formats including mp3 with up to 12db plus.
It also can batch (export many files in a row). Excellent Program.

----------

Mpeg streamclip exports audio in different formats including mp3 with up to 12db plus.
It also can batch (export many files in a row). Excellent Program.
Daniel Silveira is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2013, 11:48 AM   #13
hogger129
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmlloyd View Post
You can use a free program such as Audacity which can support mp3 via plugins. It has an 'Amplify' effect which you could use to increase the volume of your mp3s, save them off.

Ontop of all that, you can cut/paste to your hearts content to get the perfect ringtone
I second this. Use Audacity to amplify them to your liking and then output them as MP3 files to use as ringtones.
hogger129 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2013, 12:15 PM   #14
marzer
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogger129 View Post
I second this. Use Audacity to amplify them to your liking and then output them as MP3 files to use as ringtones.
Unless your making it for an iPhone, then no need to convert.
marzer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2014, 09:09 AM   #15
HereBeMonsters
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesecake View Post
I know this is years old, but the Wall Of Sound was entirely different thing altogether: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wall_of_Sound

Clipping: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clipping_%28audio%29

Basically, imagine you have a hard level beyond which a track will go no louder. The level is there to protect amplification and speaker equipment, say. If you increase the volume beyond that level, the quiet parts will sound louder, but the loud parts will distort, with the loudest not actually getting any louder.

So, increase the volume if you must, but do it in small increments until you get what you're after.
HereBeMonsters is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2014, 04:27 AM   #16
nicberweky
macrumors newbie

You may refer to the following step by step guide on How to Increase Audio Volume in MP3, MP4, WAV, WMA, WMV, MKV, VOB, MPG, etc.

This guide can easily help:

1. Increase audio volume of all popular audio formats like increase MP3 volume, increase WAV volume, increase WMA volume, or increase sound volume in AC3, FLAC, M4A, VOC, QCP, AMR, AWB, OGG, CAF, AIFF, RA, AU, APE, and etc
2. Boost the sound volume from video files like increase MP4 volume, increase AVI volume, boost the sound volume from other video formats including WMV, MOV, MPG, FLV, 3GP, VOB, MKV, ASF, RMVB, AVCHD, MXF, DV, and etc
3. Extract audio from video and then convert to audio format as well as increase the audio volume
4. Increase audio volume as well as convert to other audio formats
5. Increase video volume as well as convert to other video formats
6. Remove audio from video files like MP4, AVI, WMV, MKV, VOB, FLV, MPG, 3GP, MOV and etc.
nicberweky is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod