Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WiLLGT09

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2007
Hi everyone,

I just got an AppleTV 2 a few days ago. I'm sure this issue has been brought up before, but after a brief search on the forums, I didn't see anything particular to my issue.

I have a high-speed broadband connection (about 17-18 Mbps down) and stuff from Netflix and HD video from iTunes rents and streams perfectly and quickly. HOWEVER, when I attempt to stream from my iTunes library on my MacBook Pro it takes forever for video (and noticeably longer-than-expected for audio as well) to buffer and begin playing. I have an 802.11N router, and my Wi-Fi internet connection from my MacBook Pro fast, so why is the local network so slow?

This nagging problem is really putting a damper on my AppleTV experience.

Anyone have this problem, know of a fix for this or why it's happening in the first place?

I've been having problems with my current, old Netgear wireless N router, which likes to suddenly cut out and drop connections (mostly likely from a power issue), but when the connection is up, all internet-based services on my laptop, PS3, and AppleTV, for example, work flawlessly. It's only when dealing with Home Sharing on the network to the AppleTV that a problem occurs. I do have an Airport Extreme arriving in a few days, so maybe this problem will clear up once I get a "proper" router.

Thank!
William

brogan

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2008
I had a similar problem (very slow local streaming to the device) that resolved once I replaced my router with an airport extreme and hardwired the ATV2 into it. Now my movies stream very quickly! Haven't tried wireless, but as I live in an apartment building, I suspect interference from neighboring units may make it less ideal than a directly wired setup.

Good luck! Hope the extreme fixes your problem like it did mine!

a4turbo

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2011
I am having the same issue.

I have rented a movie and it was great.
With Home sharing on, My music works just fine with no issue. I have a few TV shows I watched from my library and one that was an hour long had a small hiccup half way through.

BUT my issue is with the Movies in my itunes library. I added a movie "digital copy" from disk to my itunes. I only make it about 28 minutes in and it stops and i can see the load bar moving very slowly.

I know its not my router as it's brand new, and all other functions work just fine.

Any ideas?

johnholt

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2012
I had the same problem with my wired network. I have a 10/100/1000 hub and a 10/100 hub. The Apple TV was connected to the 10/100 hub along with a Mac Mini. The Apple TV would not stream from my iTunes on my desktop machine, but would from the iTunes on the Mac Mini.

I changed the Apple TV to use my wireless network, and streaming worked from either the mini or the desktop systems.

My conclusion is that the streaming protocol is sensitive to the number of hubs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.