Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Jan 2, 2011, 11:39 PM   #1
ctbear
macrumors 6502

iPhone 4 won't get pass Apple logo

I was messing with some Winterboard themes, and I accidentally deleted the currently activated theme through iPhone Explorer. The Springboard got unresponsive so I did a reboot. Now the phone won't get pass the Apple logo.
What can I do now? I would prefer not to restore because I don't want to lose all data.
ctbear is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2011, 11:46 PM   #2
Stevm
macrumors newbie

Restore from backup.
Stevm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2011, 11:49 PM   #3
ctbear
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevm View Post
Restore from backup.
Sadly I don't have any backup. I assume my only hope to bring the phone back is to restore?

EDIT:
I figured you mean restore from iTunes backup.
I'm downloading the 4.1 ipsw now, suppose it restores successfully and I wish to JB again, should I JB first then restore backup or it doesn't matter?

Last edited by ctbear; Jan 3, 2011 at 12:14 AM.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 02:27 AM   #4
ctbear
macrumors 6502

So I've decided to just do the restore and unfortunately I'm getting the 1604 error people are talking about everywhere.
I tried all the solutions I can find online and nothing worked.
According to apple support this might be due to a bad usb timing, but my usb port has always worked and the usb cable is genuine apple product (the one came with the phone)
I'm afraid I'm SOL now
Old Jan 3, 2011, 02:48 AM   #5
Al3x87
macrumors member

I don't know what "SOL" means, but i know that your problem can't be resolved at home.
The last choice is to go to an Apple service
Old Jan 3, 2011, 04:46 AM   #6
mcatt66
macrumors member

im SOL (***** outta luck) with my phone to. . i did get passed the apple logo and am now able to use my phone as an Itouch. . try to use tinyumbrella and go back to an older firmware and then do the redsnow thing. . it worked for me. .

i really dont know much about it but was helped by people on this board. . here is my thread maybe this will help. .

i think this will be my last iphone. . always some problem or blockage. .

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...1#post11653182
mcatt66 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2011, 05:27 AM   #7
macingman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbear View Post

I'm downloading the 4.1 ipsw now, suppose it restores successfully and I wish to JB again, should I JB first then restore backup or it doesn't matter?
Did you save your 4.1 SHSH's using Tinyumbrella or Cydia if you didn't you have no hope of ever downgrading to 4.1 and will have to use 4.2.1 and hope a proper untethered jailbreak comes out soon, you could always try the beta untethered 4.2.1 jailbreak but I don't recommend it.

If you saved your 4.1 SHSH's I can help you downgrade to 4.1.
macingman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2011, 09:04 AM   #8
ctbear
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by macingman View Post
Did you save your 4.1 SHSH's using Tinyumbrella or Cydia if you didn't you have no hope of ever downgrading to 4.1 and will have to use 4.2.1 and hope a proper untethered jailbreak comes out soon, you could always try the beta untethered 4.2.1 jailbreak but I don't recommend it.

If you saved your 4.1 SHSH's I can help you downgrade to 4.1.
I did using Cydia. What are the steps?
Old Jan 3, 2011, 09:20 AM   #9
PsstGreek
macrumors 68040

Quote:
I did using Cydia. What are the steps?
Do downgrade your iPhone you first need to edit your host files here:

Mac >>> http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=7556

Windows >>> http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=7557

Then shift+restore (pc) or option+restore (mac) to 4.1 in iTunes.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 09:26 AM   #10
ctbear
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsstGreek View Post
Do downgrade your iPhone you first need to edit your host files here:

Mac >>> http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=7556

Windows >>> http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=7557

Then shift+restore (pc) or option+restore (mac) to 4.1 in iTunes.
I did that but that couldn't verify with apple. So I used tinyumbrella TSS server instead.
The error occurs when iTunes is preparing my iPhone for restore, then after a few minutes it returns a 1604 error.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 09:33 AM   #11
PsstGreek
macrumors 68040

Quote:
I did that but that couldn't verify with apple. So I used tinyumbrella TSS server instead.
The error occurs when iTunes is preparing my iPhone for restore, then after a few minutes it returns a 1604 error.
After seeing error 1604 or 1015 use TinyUmbrella to kick your iPhone out of recovery.

http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/
Old Jan 3, 2011, 09:54 AM   #12
ctbear
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsstGreek View Post
After seeing error 1604 or 1015 use TinyUmbrella to kick your iPhone out of recovery.

http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/
It basically just sits at the apple logo after that.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 10:23 AM   #13
ctbear
macrumors 6502

Just to clarify: do I have to do the "official restore" (restore and upgrade to 4.2) first, and then downgrade to 4.1 afterwards? What I'm doing now is just hitting shift-restore and select a 4.1 ipsw.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 05:36 PM   #14
ctbear
macrumors 6502

Update:

I went to Apple retail store and they did a "special restore" for me. Unfortunately they also upgraded the FW to 4.2.1
I would prefer staying in 4.1 for JB apps and winterboard themes compatibility. From what I remember in Cydia, it says "SHSH 4.2.1" on top. Does that mean I cannot downgrade to 4.1 anymore?
Old Jan 3, 2011, 06:29 PM   #15
macingman
macrumors 68020

If you saved your shsh's for 4.1 you can always downgrade to 4.1. You said when you tried to downgrade you saw a 1015/1604 error. This is normal when you downgrade and all you need to do is kick recovery mode by clicking on the iPhone in the list of recovery devices and clicking kick out of recovery.

You will then have a fully working 4.1.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 07:29 PM   #16
ctbear
macrumors 6502

Quote:
If you saved your shsh's for 4.1 you can always downgrade to 4.1. You said when you tried to downgrade you saw a 1015/1604 error. This is normal when you downgrade and all you need to do is kick recovery mode by clicking on the iPhone in the list of recovery devices and clicking kick out of recovery.

You will then have a fully working 4.1.
I did try to save my 4.1 SHSH on Cydia. Before I messed up my phone, it was saying "SHSH 4.2.1" instead of "SHSH 4.1". Does that mean my 4.1 SHSH was not saved?
I haven't tried downgrading after the trip to apple store (and upgrading to 4.2.1). I am new to iOS so I want to be completely sure this time before I do anything stupid.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 07:57 PM   #17
macingman
macrumors 68020

If on Cydia it didn't say iOS4.1 and only said iOS4.2 then you have no choice but to keep 4.2.1.

Your just going to have to put up with iOS4.2.1 jailbreak issues until they are fixed.

Although I think you should click Save SHSH's in Tinyumbrella to see if iOS4.1 SHSH's come up. If they do come up downgrade using the instructions that were given to you a few posts up.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 09:43 AM   #18
ctbear
macrumors 6502

Quote:
If on Cydia it didn't say iOS4.1 and only said iOS4.2 then you have no choice but to keep 4.2.1.

Your just going to have to put up with iOS4.2.1 jailbreak issues until they are fixed.

Although I think you should click Save SHSH's in Tinyumbrella to see if iOS4.1 SHSH's come up. If they do come up downgrade using the instructions that were given to you a few posts up.
I've done more readings and realized that my phone will not have 4.1 SHSH saved, simply because Apple was signing 4.2.1 already when I purchased the phone. From what I understand, only 4.2.1 blob will be saved since that's what Apple is currently signing, correct?

EDIT:
I was correct. Just tested with tinyumbrella. Only 4.2.1 is saved on Cydia.
I guess I will just wait for new JB to come out. Thanks for everyone's help

Last edited by ctbear; Jan 4, 2011 at 12:31 PM.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting