Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ctbear

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2010
I was messing with some Winterboard themes, and I accidentally deleted the currently activated theme through iPhone Explorer. The Springboard got unresponsive so I did a reboot. Now the phone won't get pass the Apple logo.
What can I do now? I would prefer not to restore because I don't want to lose all data.

ctbear

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2010
Restore from backup.

Sadly I don't have any backup. I assume my only hope to bring the phone back is to restore?

EDIT:
I figured you mean restore from iTunes backup.
I'm downloading the 4.1 ipsw now, suppose it restores successfully and I wish to JB again, should I JB first then restore backup or it doesn't matter?

Last edited:

ctbear

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2010
So I've decided to just do the restore and unfortunately I'm getting the 1604 error people are talking about everywhere.
I tried all the solutions I can find online and nothing worked.
According to apple support this might be due to a bad usb timing, but my usb port has always worked and the usb cable is genuine apple product (the one came with the phone)
I'm afraid I'm SOL now :(

Al3x87

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2010
I don't know what "SOL" means, but i know that your problem can't be resolved at home.
The last choice is to go to an Apple service:)

mcatt66

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2007
im SOL (***** outta luck) with my phone to. . i did get passed the apple logo and am now able to use my phone as an Itouch. . try to use tinyumbrella and go back to an older firmware and then do the redsnow thing. . it worked for me. .

i really dont know much about it but was helped by people on this board. . here is my thread maybe this will help. .

i think this will be my last iphone. . always some problem or blockage. .

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=11653182&posted=1#post11653182

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
I'm downloading the 4.1 ipsw now, suppose it restores successfully and I wish to JB again, should I JB first then restore backup or it doesn't matter?

Did you save your 4.1 SHSH's using Tinyumbrella or Cydia if you didn't you have no hope of ever downgrading to 4.1 and will have to use 4.2.1 and hope a proper untethered jailbreak comes out soon, you could always try the beta untethered 4.2.1 jailbreak but I don't recommend it.

If you saved your 4.1 SHSH's I can help you downgrade to 4.1.

ctbear

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2010
Did you save your 4.1 SHSH's using Tinyumbrella or Cydia if you didn't you have no hope of ever downgrading to 4.1 and will have to use 4.2.1 and hope a proper untethered jailbreak comes out soon, you could always try the beta untethered 4.2.1 jailbreak but I don't recommend it.

If you saved your 4.1 SHSH's I can help you downgrade to 4.1.

I did using Cydia. What are the steps?

ctbear

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2010
Do downgrade your iPhone you first need to edit your host files here:

Mac >>> http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=7556

Windows >>> http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=7557

Then shift+restore (pc) or option+restore (mac) to 4.1 in iTunes.

I did that but that couldn't verify with apple. So I used tinyumbrella TSS server instead.
The error occurs when iTunes is preparing my iPhone for restore, then after a few minutes it returns a 1604 error.

ctbear

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2010
Just to clarify: do I have to do the "official restore" (restore and upgrade to 4.2) first, and then downgrade to 4.1 afterwards? What I'm doing now is just hitting shift-restore and select a 4.1 ipsw.

ctbear

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2010
Update:

I went to Apple retail store and they did a "special restore" for me. Unfortunately they also upgraded the FW to 4.2.1
I would prefer staying in 4.1 for JB apps and winterboard themes compatibility. From what I remember in Cydia, it says "SHSH 4.2.1" on top. Does that mean I cannot downgrade to 4.1 anymore?

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
If you saved your shsh's for 4.1 you can always downgrade to 4.1. You said when you tried to downgrade you saw a 1015/1604 error. This is normal when you downgrade and all you need to do is kick recovery mode by clicking on the iPhone in the list of recovery devices and clicking kick out of recovery.

You will then have a fully working 4.1.

ctbear

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2010
If you saved your shsh's for 4.1 you can always downgrade to 4.1. You said when you tried to downgrade you saw a 1015/1604 error. This is normal when you downgrade and all you need to do is kick recovery mode by clicking on the iPhone in the list of recovery devices and clicking kick out of recovery.

You will then have a fully working 4.1.

I did try to save my 4.1 SHSH on Cydia. Before I messed up my phone, it was saying "SHSH 4.2.1" instead of "SHSH 4.1". Does that mean my 4.1 SHSH was not saved?
I haven't tried downgrading after the trip to apple store (and upgrading to 4.2.1). I am new to iOS so I want to be completely sure this time before I do anything stupid.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
If on Cydia it didn't say iOS4.1 and only said iOS4.2 then you have no choice but to keep 4.2.1.

Your just going to have to put up with iOS4.2.1 jailbreak issues until they are fixed.

Although I think you should click Save SHSH's in Tinyumbrella to see if iOS4.1 SHSH's come up. If they do come up downgrade using the instructions that were given to you a few posts up.

ctbear

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2010
If on Cydia it didn't say iOS4.1 and only said iOS4.2 then you have no choice but to keep 4.2.1.

Your just going to have to put up with iOS4.2.1 jailbreak issues until they are fixed.

Although I think you should click Save SHSH's in Tinyumbrella to see if iOS4.1 SHSH's come up. If they do come up downgrade using the instructions that were given to you a few posts up.

I've done more readings and realized that my phone will not have 4.1 SHSH saved, simply because Apple was signing 4.2.1 already when I purchased the phone. From what I understand, only 4.2.1 blob will be saved since that's what Apple is currently signing, correct?

EDIT:
I was correct. Just tested with tinyumbrella. Only 4.2.1 is saved on Cydia.
I guess I will just wait for new JB to come out. Thanks for everyone's help :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.