Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBook

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2004
On a tugboat
How much of the version of the Invision software that MacRumors uses is customized by the MR staff vs. configurations made within the application? I'm considering using the software based on the functionality I've seen here, but I'm no coder/database expert.

Given that, if you've heavily modified the software/database/???, is there an off-the-shelf software you'd recommend with reasonably similar functionality and cost?

Thanks for the info.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
I don't know for sure, but it doesn't look like there have been any mods done to me, other than a custom skin (duh).

vB3 is an awesome piece of forum software off the shelf.

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
iBook said:
How much of the version of the Invision software that MacRumors uses is customized by the MR staff vs. configurations made within the application? I'm considering using the software based on the functionality I've seen here, but I'm no coder/database expert.

Given that, if you've heavily modified the software/database/???, is there an off-the-shelf software you'd recommend with reasonably similar functionality and cost?

Thanks for the info.

we use vbulletin, not invision powerboard. But most php forum frontends can be customized without too much effort. most of the time it's just a matter of changing one graphic file out with another to suit your needs.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Slightly-related question

What kind of hardware does the site run on?

'Where' is this conversation taking place?

Just curious...

iBook

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2004
On a tugboat
Mudbug said:
we use vbulletin, not invision powerboard. But most php forum frontends can be customized without too much effort. most of the time it's just a matter of changing one graphic file out with another to suit your needs.

Thanks! Appreciate the help and the quick response.

Exactly the tool I need, and the price looks good.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Mudbug said:
the conversation's all in your head. :p

on a couple'a linux boxes. somewhere. :D

What if someone made a program where there was a central server, and millions of people hosted the site, like a RAID 5 array but using computers as web-servers? That would be neat. Hard to pull off, but neat.

Anyway. Kewl. Linux. Yeah.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Mechcozmo said:
What if someone made a program where there was a central server, and millions of people hosted the site, like a RAID 5 array but using computers as web-servers? That would be neat. Hard to pull off, but neat.

Anyway. Kewl. Linux. Yeah.

That would essentially be a evolution of BitTorrent technology. Have a site up, and offer a link for any volunteer to download the site's BitTorrent information, and have it run on their computer, and host all the static files on their computers. The only thing the server really serves are the content. That could be cool.

MacNeXT

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2004
iBook said:
Thanks! Appreciate the help and the quick response.

Exactly the tool I need, and the price looks good.

phpBB might be worth looking at too. It's open source. It's popular, you see it used all over the internet, but I don't know how it compares to vBulletin feature-wise.

iBook

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2004
On a tugboat
MacNeXT said:
phpBB might be worth looking at too. It's open source. It's popular, you see it used all over the internet, but I don't know how it compares to vBulletin feature-wise.

Good suggestion. I've used it in the past. While it's good, it reminds me of the old adage: You get what you pay for. vBulletin isn't cheap, but I hope to have a nationally used Web site (U.S.) and it seems to offer the sophistication I'd like to forums to have.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Raven VII said:
That would essentially be a evolution of BitTorrent technology. Have a site up, and offer a link for any volunteer to download the site's BitTorrent information, and have it run on their computer, and host all the static files on their computers. The only thing the server really serves are the content. That could be cool.

Kind of, yeah. A massive internet-cluster. For larger sites it would be kind of a pain to do, but you don't have to host the entire website-- just need to host, say (using MacRumors example here) two forums. Someone else picks up the rest. But there are also 100s of other people with your same files, so if your hard disk dies then the content is safe.

Updating would be a huge pain in the ass.....hehe

Blue Velvet said:
Oh, so that must be why it's always so charming, witty, informative and entertaining...

:D :p

Wow, my conversations look reeeaallllyyy good, too. :rolleyes:

sebisworld

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2003
What's a lot more interesting is (to me at least): How much traffic does this site generate? And do you have to pay for email traffic?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
The site runs on two Linux boxes. One for the forums/db, another for the front page.

And yes, it uses a minimally customized vBulletin install.

arn

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
Is there a way with vb3 to have a page that offers a list of files for download? I'm thinking of using it for a user's group and sharing various report files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.