Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
Hi everyone.

A while ago I remember I had some sort of configuration on my Apple Remote where I could start Plex and Boxee without having to change the settings of one player or the other.

I mean, for example, hitting the menu button once opened Plex. If I hit it longer then Boxee would open. Im trying to set that configuration back again, but theres no way.

Does someone know how to do this?

Ive tried setting the configuration on Plex and Boxee the same, different, etc. What I want is to be able to decide to open Plex or Boxee without needing to use the keyboard or mouse to access one player and the remote to access the other one.

Also, I would prefer not to use one of those programs like Buddy Remote. This configuration I want was done with the Candelair driver and thats it.

Thanks!

Acidglaze

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2008
I've never heard of this working like that before, but I may have another solution. I favor Plex highly over boxee, but if you want to use both, try using plex as your default media center app (set it to load when you press menu on the apple remote), but then add the Boxee.app to the programs list that you can launch from plex. Thisshould then allow you to launch boxee from within plex. What's nice about this is when you are finished with boxee (quit the program from their menu), plex will resume.

I think that might work best for your situation. Why do you need both media programs? They double dip a lot for the most popular apps.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
Hey! Thanks for the suggestion.

I like Plex more, but I miss the feature of file navigation that Boxee still has. I have a lot of media in different folders and not all is correctly named for Plex.

ZilogZ80

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
I like Plex more, but I miss the feature of file navigation that Boxee still has. I have a lot of media in different folders and not all is correctly named for Plex.
Have you upgraded to Plex 9? The scraping is vastly improved as are search functions.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
Yeah, I have the latest version installed. However, this new version uses the Media Manager, so, if for example, I added a new source but the content is not properly named, then it will be a mess.

I have all my movies properly named and about half of my tv shows content also properly named, but there is a lot of video content which is not labeled, so there is not a good way to display that content on Plex 9. On Plex 8 I just added my external hard drive as a source in Videos and from there I could access all that extra content.

Thats why I want to use Boxee for that particular feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.