Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jan 4, 2011, 12:07 AM   #1
rm19
macrumors member

intel apps on ppc

is it possible to run intel apps on a powerpc through some magical way or a way to get around the giant X through an incompatible program on a ppc?
rm19 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 12:17 AM   #2
gr8tfly
macrumors 603

Virtual PC worked ok for lightweight Windows apps. When I last used it for some amateur radio logging apps, I ran Win2k.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 12:26 AM   #3
alust2013
macrumors 68040

there was virtualPC, however if you're talking intel Mac apps, you're sadly SOL.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 06:55 PM   #4
rm19
macrumors member

powerpcs are dieing and its kinda sad cause new mac cost alot man.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 06:57 PM   #5
hayduke
macrumors 65816

PPC is dying? Nope.

Dead.
hayduke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 06:58 PM   #6
r.j.s
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm19 View Post
powerpcs are dieing and its kinda sad cause new mac cost alot man.
Technology moves on. Apple can't support everything forever.
r.j.s is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 07:09 PM   #7
itickings
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayduke View Post
PPC is dying? Nope.

Dead.
I'd rather classify them as zombies more precisely, they are still ticking around, aren't they?

Apple supported PPC long enough after the transition I think. It is a business decision after all, and my Mini would probably've choked on a more recent release than Leopard anyway. Not to say that it isn't horribly annoying with several interesting third-party applications only supporting Intel, 'cause it totally is...
itickings is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 07:12 PM   #8
old-wiz
macrumors 604

Quote:
PPC is dying? Nope.

Dead.
My wife quite happily uses an iBook G4 for web browsing and e-mail. She's watching a youtube video right now.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 07:49 PM   #9
Biolizard
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by old-wiz View Post
My wife quite happily uses an iBook G4 for web browsing and e-mail. She's watching a youtube video right now.
I've got a Mini happily doing some Distributed Computing on the BOINC platform for World Community Grid.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 08:31 PM   #10
MacHamster68
macrumors 68040

its just some apps from adobe for example ,photoshop cs5 needs on a windows pc just a pentium 4 which is a single core processor and windows xp service pack 3 , so it just needs a computer from 10 years ago ,not saying it will fly under that hardware , but it can be installed,

but it needs a intel multicore processor under OSX and at least 10.5.7 ,
so it will run on a hackintoshed netbook with 1,66 ghz atom processor with 1 gb ram , but it will not on a PowerMac G5 quad 2.5 ghz with 16gb ram from 2006

and no it was not the software industries decision to abandon ppc it was Apples decision to declare the PPC architecture as useless for modern computing
MacHamster68 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 08:59 PM   #11
raysfan81
macrumors 6502a

Most of the computer running PPC are relatively useless for using as main computer because they are getting dated. But they can still be used for a specific purpose like a server or file storage if someone would want to keep one. Don't get me wrong I love my old macs but yet again they are old and 5-6 years ago the newest one came out and 5 years is a long time in the electronics industry.
raysfan81 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2011, 02:04 PM   #12
MacHamster68
macrumors 68040

ilove my old Mac's too , its the design that i really love , for me even a eMac is just a beauty and a iMac G4 is a peace of art and the iMac G3 make you smile whenever you look at them , even the early intel iMac in this nice white casing make you feel happy , the modern grey/ black cases make me feel sad
and i came to the point now where i say why should i care about modern software , its not worth spending money for something that that only runs on hardware that makes you sad
MacHamster68 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2011, 05:24 PM   #13
Hrududu
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHamster68 View Post
its just some apps from adobe for example ,photoshop cs5 needs on a windows pc just a pentium 4 which is a single core processor and windows xp service pack 3 , so it just needs a computer from 10 years ago ,not saying it will fly under that hardware , but it can be installed,

but it needs a intel multicore processor under OSX and at least 10.5.7 ,
so it will run on a hackintoshed netbook with 1,66 ghz atom processor with 1 gb ram , but it will not on a PowerMac G5 quad 2.5 ghz with 16gb ram from 2006

and no it was not the software industries decision to abandon ppc it was Apples decision to declare the PPC architecture as useless for modern computing
Thats exactly how I feel about it. PowerPC is quite capable of running the software thats out today. I'm using my Powermac instead of my MacBook Pro as my primary setup and I don't feel like I'm missing any performance at all. Why so many developers have decided to start coding Intel only software instead of Universal is crap. While I don't think its necessary to support legacy hardware forever, why the heck does the Pentium 4 see more love than the G4 and G5 which are far superior. Windows XP is a decade old and for some reason Adobe doesn't have a problem supporting that old ****.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 09:48 PM   #14
rm19
macrumors member

powerpc is amazing and very durable but people are moving on and ppc is dead. i myself are a contributor, i got a new mac(as a gift) and i dont use my ppc anymore because of various problems, but if not for those problems i would use it all the time.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 09:53 PM   #15
zen.state
Banned

Quote:
PPC is dying? Nope.

Dead.
I guess you consider all the 3 big current game consoles dead also then. They are all PowerPC powered.

Dead at Apple yes.. not the rest of the world.
zen.state is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2011, 09:56 PM   #16
zen.state
Banned

Quote:
is it possible to run intel apps on a powerpc through some magical way or a way to get around the giant X through an incompatible program on a ppc?
What are you trying to do with these intel apps you want to run? Tell us and we can give you PowerPC alternatives.
zen.state is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2011, 11:21 PM   #17
300D
Banned

Quote:
PPC is dying? Nope.

Dead.
Its amazing how extremely ignorant people (you) can be in such a "modern" world.
300D is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 01:38 AM   #18
Joshuarocks
Banned

PPC, Dead?

"The news of my death have been greatly exaggerated" - so goes the old Mark Twain quote, and the same can be said for PowerPC. As My mac pro sleeps at nite, I am typing this right now on my G4 1.67 Hi-Res PowerBook.. So long as a PowerPC mac can do what you want it to do, despite what Apple says, it will never by obsolete.

Remember that! With that said, the return of my G5 Quad is happening! It just got shipped out today.. Feast your eyes on this setup:

Power Mac G5 Quad 2.5 Ghz 4x2 PowerPC G5
250 and 500 GB SATA II Hard drives
256MB ATI Radeon x1900
4GB memory, for now
fast 22x super drive

This machine will be used as my everyday desktop machine, closely networked as a file server with my mac pro to host files for all my systems.

PowerPC dead? I think not.. Intel and PPC should be friends, not enemies.

We have one father: Apple, but Apple said to PowerPC - "You are old enough, my son, Go out into the world and let your younger brother Intel stay with us"..

Thats how I see PowerPC now.. Its on its own, where as the younger brother, Intel is being raised.
Joshuarocks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2011, 08:03 PM   #19
rm19
macrumors member

i agree with Joshuarocks, ALL APPS SHOULD BE MADE UNIVERSAL SO PEOPLE DONT NEED TO KEEP UPGRADING................but then again, its business for apple, by making intel only apps, in a way they force people to upgrade which = $$$$$$ for them.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 08:38 PM   #20
old-wiz
macrumors 604

Quote:
i agree with Joshuarocks, ALL APPS SHOULD BE MADE UNIVERSAL SO PEOPLE DONT NEED TO KEEP UPGRADING................but then again, its business for apple, by making intel only apps, in a way they force people to upgrade which = $$$$$$ for them.
There is a lot more to applications than universal binaries. If an app is written for snow leopard and uses snow leopard specific APIs, then a universal binary would be useless as it would not run on a ppc machine. The APIs can change quite a bit between releases of the OS, and apps written for version xx.Y are not guaranteed to run on xx.Y-1.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2011, 09:35 PM   #21
rm19
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old-wiz View Post
There is a lot more to applications than universal binaries. If an app is written for snow leopard and uses snow leopard specific APIs, then a universal binary would be useless as it would not run on a ppc machine. The APIs can change quite a bit between releases of the OS, and apps written for version xx.Y are not guaranteed to run on xx.Y-1.
yeah in a sense its a business trick for them again. Create OS specific apps --> Ppl will have to upgrade if they want those --> people buy it --> $$$$$$ for apple.

But i do agree with you, thats very true!!
Old Mar 29, 2011, 10:28 PM   #22
goMac
macrumors 603

Quote:
yeah in a sense its a business trick for them again. Create OS specific apps --> Ppl will have to upgrade if they want those --> people buy it --> $$$$$$ for apple.

But i do agree with you, thats very true!!
Huh? In some cases, things only work on Intel machines. It's not as simple as there just being a button that needs to be pressed to make a PowerPC application...

PowerPC processors work very differently. For math heavy applications (and games), there are very sound reasons why it may be very difficult to make a PowerPC version.

It's not just a business decision.

In addition, Apple's developer tools no longer work with PowerPC. This is not actually a business decision. The licensing changed on the existing compiler and they had to drop it.
goMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs