Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

salesfreak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
Well, I've been working for hours trying to get OSX Panther to install on this iMac that my neighbor brought over from an external CD ROM Drive. The internal CD ROM drive is crashed. He needs to do a clean install because some of the files for Documents, Movies, Pictures, etc. were accidentally deleted from the system.

The disks for install are all original. They show up on the computer that recognizes the CD ROM when it's connected, but once you click INSTALL MAC OS X, it just boots back into the hard drive. I give up and figured I would post the problem here and see if anyone has any suggestions?

It might be time to turn this computer into a paperweight, which is too bad since it appears to run okay other than having a failed internal CD ROM and the inability to do a clean installation of the OS. I'm out of ideas here :).

Last edited:

salesfreak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
Thanks for the response. No. He's just trying to wipe it out, so that he can give it to his 9 year old to use for homework, email and the Internet. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get the computer to do an install from an external CD ROM Drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.