Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
Is there any way to make Safari only remember the username and not the password of a website when using Autofill? I've noticed that Firefox does this and Facebook does this in Safari when disabling "keep me logged in" (maybe a cookie feature?), and this is the exact behaviour I want.

I use 1Password and thats great, but I'd love to just type my password and automatically have the username show, and not keep having to type in my 1Password keychain's password.

Last edited:

Nick16

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2011
FL
I know this thread is not exactly recent, but anybody know of a possible solution?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I know this thread is not exactly recent, but anybody know of a possible solution?

I think this is dependent on the web site/cookie configuration the site admin uses. My bank's web site for example allows me to save the user name but not the password. I told OS X Keychain not to remember any login info for the bank site and the username is saved in a cookie.

tug

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2010
loughborough. u.k.
why do you want to type your password?

just have 1pass submit and login.

i know this can't be done with online banking, but normal logins such as amazon/youtube are made really simple using this method.

just my opinion though. :)

Rokeneer

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2011
not possible?

and anyone know if Facebook remembering your username at the login page is a website only cookie feature?

Try going through your Keychain and editing what it can and can't remember. Other than that, it's something on the individual site.

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
Firefox just reminds usernames with the auto-fill field option. I'm really looking for a Safari/OSX alternative (you want it outside Safari too in Key Chain managed logins). I think it is really needed to add this option to keychain, as it allows a combination of auto-login with security on websites/apps

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.