Darthzilla
macrumors member

Is there any reason NOT to buy a refurbished iPad

inquiring minds want to know.
Darthzilla is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 07:11 AM   #2
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040

I've had very good luck with refurbished apple products. They all carry a 1 year warranty (which most refurbs only care a 90 day it seems). They state they replace the shell/case and the battery as well. However, I only buy refurbed from Apple. I bought a "refurbished" ipod from a very reputable online store and it was really a "used" device. I was pissed.
paulrbeers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 07:55 AM   #3
peled
macrumors member

If you have a bad iPAD, and you go to the store to fix it.
What do you think you are getting ?
It is a refurbish iPAD - Not yours.

So . Yes.
If the price is right I'll go with a refurbish.
peled is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 08:02 AM   #4
ReallyBigFeet
macrumors 68030

Its new-to-you; its only refurbished to Apple.

If you save a few bucks go for it.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 08:11 AM   #5
azentropy
macrumors 65816

The only reason I could think of not go get a refurbished if you are giving it as a gift and don't want the stigma of giving it in refurb packaging and having to explain it.
azentropy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 08:22 AM   #6
nataliamck
macrumors 6502

My iMac refurb has had zero problems.

I bought an Apple Airport refurb and it didn't work so they replaced it with a new model and it worked fine.

I would always try and save some money. They'll fix/replace it if you have any problems.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 08:52 AM   #7
JPIndustrie
macrumors 6502

Really? There's no excuse not to buy an iPad at all.

Heck, just being able to get it Apple-refurb'ed @ that price is enough of a reason to purchase it. Apple refurbs are THAT good of a deal.
JPIndustrie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 08:59 AM   #8
oldMac
macrumors 6502a

The problem with refurbs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthzilla View Post

The problem with refurbs is that sometimes hardware issues can be intermittent. Therefore, even if something has been *tested*, it can still have problems. Somebody returned that iPad for a reason and it's possible that the issues weren't fixed even if it passed the Q/A tests. As an example, my 3G iPhone recently died and was replaced with a refurb from Apple. It works great, except for the Wifi, which sometimes works, but sometimes stops working. From my research, it seems to be some sort of intermittent hardware issue.

So, I will have to go through the time/hassle of going through the return process again or live with the issue until I replace the phone, which I will probably do when the next one comes out.

My advice - if the iPad is for personal use and your current life circumstance provides you with extra time in case things go wrong, save the money and get the refurb. But be prepared for the possibility that you will have to swap it again.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 09:03 AM   #9
nburwell
macrumors 68000

My current MBP was refurbished from Apple. Although it's starting to show it's age, I would not hesitate to purchase another refurbed product from Apple.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 09:04 AM   #10
rosalindavenue
macrumors 6502a

I bought one, 16 gig wi-fi. Ordered Dec 16 and Received Dec 20 in Virginia; it shipped from China. Indistinguishable from new. So there is no reason not to but a refurbished one that I can think of. Other than the few people who bought one of the bait and switch units from TJ Maxx, I paid less for mine than almost anyone else.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 09:06 AM   #11
WLS
macrumors 6502a

As long as you get it from Apple. What you get from any other seller online or locally like Walmart or Best Buy is just one that was returned for whatever reason. If someone else had a problem with it you may too.
It is my understanding that even from Apple a refurb while checked and tested may have cosmetic blemishes such as a scratch or nick and the screen may have a bad pixel. There is no guarantee that it is perfect.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 09:06 AM   #12
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldMac View Post
The problem with refurbs is that sometimes hardware issues can be intermittent. Therefore, even if something has been *tested*, it can still have problems.
Same possibility exists when buying new.

Until I see a trend of people having issues with refurbs, I personally wouldn't have any issues buying one.
aristobrat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 09:15 AM   #13
oldMac
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristobrat View Post
Same possibility exists when buying new.

Until I see a trend of people having issues with refurbs, I personally wouldn't have any issues buying one.
The difference - from a probability standpoint - is that the source pool of devices from which the refurbs come from previously had problems.

Like I said, it was returned for a reason. You just don't know that the reason was. The reason *may* still exist (such as an intermittent hardware issue) and may not be caught by the Q/A tests thereby allowing the device to be re-shipped as a refurbished unit.

From a probability standpoint, the refurbs are almost guaranteed to have more problems than the new devices.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 10:52 AM   #14
KevinC867
macrumors 6502a

A new one might be cheaper...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthzilla View Post
A refurb will have to come from the Apple online store. Shipping will be free, but you will have to pay sales tax. If you are buying a high-end configuration, the sales tax will may be greater than the $50 savings on a refurb. Depending on your location, you may find an online retailer who will not charge you sales tax and will ship for free. Check this link: www.macprices.net/ipad.shtml
KevinC867 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 11:26 AM   #15
mrboult
macrumors 6502

A refurb from the apple online store is basically the same thing as new IMO. And you still get exactly the same care/support/warrenty as if it were new.
You just get cheap brown packaging.
mrboult is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 11:34 AM   #16
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC867 View Post
A refurb will have to come from the Apple online store. Shipping will be free, but you will have to pay sales tax. If you are buying a high-end configuration, the sales tax will may be greater than the $50 savings on a refurb. Depending on your location, you may find an online retailer who will not charge you sales tax and will ship for free. Check this link: www.macprices.net/ipad.shtml
The prices on that page for refurbed ipads is currently incorrect. They are "on sale" for $429, $499 and $599. So that means it isn't just $50, it's actually $70-$100.

Last edited by paulrbeers; Jan 4, 2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 11:43 AM   #17
chris566
macrumors member

Apple refurbs are great.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 12:13 PM   #18
Blakjack
macrumors 65816

No
Old Jan 4, 2011, 12:25 PM   #19
KevinC867
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrbeers View Post
The prices on that page for refurbed ipads is currently incorrect. They are "on sale" for $429, $499 and $599. So that means it isn't just $50, it's actually $70-$100.
Wow! That's a great deal for the WiFi-only refurbs. The 3G refurbs are still only discounted by $50, so those might end up being cheaper purchased "new" from another source.
KevinC867 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 01:00 PM   #20
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC867 View Post
Wow! That's a great deal for the WiFi-only refurbs. The 3G refurbs are still only discounted by $50, so those might end up being cheaper purchased "new" from another source.
Good point, the 3G ones aren't "on sale", so those will most likely be a push from somewhere like macmall (where you wouldn't pay tax and shipping), but otherwise the wifi models are a heck of a deal refurbed (I only care about wifi since I use my Droid X as a mobile Hot Spot).
Old Jan 4, 2011, 04:37 PM   #21
Mr. Chewbacca
macrumors 6502a

I got the 32g wifi on the 1st. Looks like they are having some customs delays because I wont get it till the 11th. Not the end of the world but still kinda sucks, I realy wanted it before the 9th.

I called apple to ask if I can just pick one up in the store but since its a referb they dont stock them in stores.

They sent me a free case, thats cool especually since its still being shipped well within the shipping time quoted online. I just assumed that since everything else I orderd got to me in less than 3 days this would also

Still happy, wish I hadnt already gotten a case at best buy but I guess two cases works
Old Jan 4, 2011, 07:37 PM   #22
Stoutman11
macrumors member

I got the 32gb wifi refurb. Ordered on 26dec and got on dec 31st. Pristine condition product. Brand new to me and packaged perfectly. Great deal! Saved $100.
Stoutman11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 11:45 PM   #23
EssentialParado
macrumors 65816

Brand new battery, new screen, new casing, new packaging, full new warranty. I'd be happy to buy one!
EssentialParado is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2011, 02:48 AM   #24
ZilogZ80
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldMac View Post
The problem with refurbs is that sometimes hardware issues can be intermittent. Therefore, even if something has been *tested*, it can still have problems. Somebody returned that iPad for a reason and it's possible that the issues weren't fixed even if it passed the Q/A tests. As an example, my 3G iPhone recently died and was replaced with a refurb from Apple. It works great, except for the Wifi, which sometimes works, but sometimes stops working. From my research, it seems to be some sort of intermittent hardware issue.
This is pure speculation. If we are going solely on anecdotal evidence, there are a lot more complaints on these forums about new Apple hardware not working properly than there are about refurbs - so one could argue that refurbs are in fact likely to be more reliable.
(For the record I have purchased multiple new, Apple refurb & other second user Apple hardware and been fortunate enough not to have seen any difference in reliability).
ZilogZ80 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2011, 04:50 AM   #25
Pressure
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZilogZ80 View Post
This is pure speculation. If we are going solely on anecdotal evidence, there are a lot more complaints on these forums about new Apple hardware not working properly than there are about refurbs - so one could argue that refurbs are in fact likely to be more reliable.
(For the record I have purchased multiple new, Apple refurb & other second user Apple hardware and been fortunate enough not to have seen any difference in reliability).
There are also sold vastly more new products than refurbished, which is in limited stock.

Besides, I would definitely save a few pennies and go for the refurbished product.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad