Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flutegirl822

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2009
Washington
Weekly Photo Contest (Jan 4 - Jan 10) Topic: Ice

Rules:

1. You may only submit one photo per contest.

2. The contest runs for exactly one week, from the first time stamp of the first post in the thread (this will be made by the winner of the previous week's contest).

3. Please refrain from commenting on the photos submitted in the contest. A good photograph is one that can appeal to someone who may not know much about the technical aspects of photography, so it would be best if the judge isn't swayed by someone else's opinion of the photograph.

4. The judge will choose his/her favorite at the end of the week, place a post listing it, and include a short synopsis of why he/she chose that photo. The winner is then responsible for choosing a new topic and starting a new contest thread, which will again run for exactly one week.

This week's theme: Ice seems to be everywhere at this time of year. Submit photos which have ice as the main subject. There are lots of ways to be creative with this topic. Let's see what you come up with. :eek:

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
5294027664_99015750dc_b.jpg

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north
Hoarse frost around a branch...
shot with my old 5d mark 2..

clickable, the thumbnail does not do it justice...

Attachments

• IMG_0928 (1).jpg
    IMG_0928 (1).jpg
    710.7 KB · Views: 195

flutegirl822

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2009
Washington
Results

Keleko - Nice complimentary colors and good composition, but the subject seems to be the red berries rather than the ice.

Elbert C - Cool hunk of ice. It would be nice to have a point of reference to know just how large the ice is. Since the sun wasn't shining on all of it, a fill flash would have helped light the shadowy area.

paulg - Wow, lots of ice. Just minor things to point out. The color of this image is too blue, but can be easily adjusted. The bridge and sky don't add much, and so can be cropped out. There isn't much detail in the dark areas, but lightening can fix that too. Have you considered converting this to Black & White?

gnd - Perfectly fits this week's theme. Love the horizontal ice on the sign as well as the scene in the background. Really holds your focus. Great shot.

bootedbear - I see a frozen branch which is a good start; however, it's very busy and there are too many items in the background. Perhaps a smaller DOF would help limit the distractions or even using a large, dark colored sheet to hold behind the branch.

fcortese - I like the idea of a snow cone. Much of the detail in the snow is lost because of the bright sunshine. Do you have a polarizing filter? That might work well here.

flosseR - Good macro. The out-of-focus ice in the BG is distracting and doesn't help to separate the ice crystals in the FG. Maybe shooting from a different angle where the black was behind the focal point would help.

todd2000 - Interesting ice formation on the branches. Were you able to get any closer? I think a lower vantage point and zooming in on a few of the icicles would be even more interesting.

MaddMacs - Beautiful river scene. It seems that the main focus is not the ice though.

Thank you for all of your entries this week. The winner is:

#1 - gnd

#2 - Elbert C

#3 - paulg

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Nice photos from all the folks who entered. The level of quality of shots in the Contest keeps rising to new highs. This thread is one of the better learning tools in the dp forum. Keep up all of the great work.

Interesting side note: this is the second week in a row in which the first, second and third place winners have been consecutive posts in the thread.

Dale

paulg

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2004
UK
3rd ... yay...

thank you for the comments.
The ice in the waterfall was a very glacier blue however i have had play in PS and b+w works pretty well. I can't seem to get the detail in the darker areas. i struggle taking pictures in the snow as its so bright....! maybe i need a filter.

Congrats to the winner, i have to say i love the photo and was drawn back to it each time.

gnd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
At my cat's house
A big thanks to flutegirl822 for judging, you did a great job.
Thank you everyone for the comments. That day was amazing for photography, it felt like it was impossible to take a bad shot :)
I'll have the next contest up within the next 24 hours.

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
I should have replaced my submission. We got a big storm yesterday, and I had a couple of ice subject pictures that might have worked better. Still, I think the winner would have been better than any of mine no matter what. That was a great shot!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.