Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jan 4, 2011, 09:33 AM   #1
fan232
macrumors newbie

Inverted Colors every 20 - 30 minutes

Since the release of the new Apple TV there has been a serious issue which has plagued this otherwise brilliant product.*

After a random period the screen colors invert to an unwatchable green/blue.*
It is believed that there is some form of incompatibility with the HDMI handshake protocol between the ATV2 and the HD Television.
Apple has yet to officially acknowledge that there is a serious issue, neither that a fix is on the way, although they do publicly announce that they have nearly sold 1 million faulty apple tv's see*http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010/12/21appletv.html
Hundreds if not thousands of users, world-wide, are angry and disappointed to say the least.

The problem affects owners who own HD televisions of the most popular brands.
See the following link for a list of affected televisions:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...X1dFYkE#gid=0*

There is a discussion reflecting the nature and severity of this issue since October:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread....readID=2600405

The majority of affected televisions as depicted in the above link affects popular brands such as Philips and Sony.*
These popular models are sold on a global scale this problem must surely be in your interest to publicize.*

Also see*http://www.sciencemagnews.com/apple-...r-screen.html*

If you are experiencing this problem post here!
fan232 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 09:50 AM   #2
alFR
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by fan232 View Post
they do publicly announce that they have nearly sold 1 million faulty apple tv's
Actually, at the moment it's just as likely that it's a problem with the HDMI implementation in 2 specific brands of TV, since:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fan232 View Post
The majority of affected televisions as depicted in the above link affects popular brands such as Philips and Sony.
Actually, they're all Philips and Sony: the others in the list you link to above are reported to "work flawlessly". Although this is clearly a genuine issue for people with the affected models, a bit less FUD-spreading might help.
alFR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 10:35 AM   #3
sonofmof
macrumors member

Thumbs down I have this problem

Quote:
Actually, at the moment it's just as likely that it's a problem with the HDMI implementation in 2 specific brands of TV, since
There is a compatability issue for sure, but I find it hard to believe it is the fault of SONY or Phillips.

I have numerous HDMI devices plugged into my SONY tv, including my long serving Apple TV 1st gen, (which i'm very happy with and never had this issue) aswell as digital tv boxes and consoles.

NO other devices have this issue.

I'm almost as annoyed by the lack of response from Apple as I am about the actual issue. I have called and used the support site too.

This is NOT a good way to start with a product which has HUGE potential.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 10:08 AM   #4
alands
macrumors newbie

Another brand of tv doesn't work with Apple tv

My current tv is a Finlux 40" LED full HD, and the previous one was the same make, a bit smaller, and LCD. Both of these have the green screen/inverted colours problem. I have discussed this at length with Apple support level 2, and with Finlux. It is clear that Apple know about the problem, and have said that a fix is being worked on (no ETA).

I have been reading (and posting on) the Apple Discussions forum on this subject. It is clear that a very large number of users are upset about this, and many express the opinion that Apple should come clean, admit there is a problem, and DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT
alands is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 04:16 PM   #5
Appleind
macrumors regular

I am facing the same issue and own a Philips TV. It is really frustrating. I also tried updating my Tv's firmware and changed a few cables but no luck
Old Jan 13, 2011, 09:00 PM   #6
adbe
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by alFR View Post
Actually, at the moment it's just as likely that it's a problem with the HDMI implementation in 2 specific brands of TV, since:
Putting aside the likelihood that both Sony and Philips introduced identical bugs into their implementations of HDMI/HDCP, and that Apple who are pretty new to this game are the blameless party...

It doesn't really matter if the error *is* on Sony/Philips' side, because

a) the problem is only manifest with the ATV, other hardware is not affected
b) Sony and Philips aren't the ones who are trying to break into the market
c) People are far more likely to return a $99 non-essential like the ATV than a $500+ TV, especially if the TV is already out of return period.

Whether it's Apple's fault or not, it *is* their problem, and they need to publicly acknowledge that fact, and fix the problem.
adbe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2011, 07:55 AM   #7
Matsa
macrumors newbie

Angry

This problem has been discussed since last October and no reaction from Apple. I think this is really bad as major brands like Philips and Sony is effected.

On Apple's forums is this one of the most discussed topics but no reaction so far. Really bad, I think. See the link to thread below:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....rt=0&tstart=60

Mats
Matsa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2011, 11:47 AM   #8
Audiotic
macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; nl-nl) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Seemingly they fixed it. My ATV downloaded an update, and now the problem is gone. I am happy.
Audiotic is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater