Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fan232

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2011
Since the release of the new Apple TV there has been a serious issue which has plagued this otherwise brilliant product.*

After a random period the screen colors invert to an unwatchable green/blue.*
It is believed that there is some form of incompatibility with the HDMI handshake protocol between the ATV2 and the HD Television.
Apple has yet to officially acknowledge that there is a serious issue, neither that a fix is on the way, although they do publicly announce that they have nearly sold 1 million faulty apple tv's see*http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010/12/21appletv.html
Hundreds if not thousands of users, world-wide, are angry and disappointed to say the least.

The problem affects owners who own HD televisions of the most popular brands.
See the following link for a list of affected televisions:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AusHNiPxEUGadDZrLWtRMzNLNUJDNU9jSWdEX1dFYkE#gid=0*

There is a discussion reflecting the nature and severity of this issue since October:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2600405

The majority of affected televisions as depicted in the above link affects popular brands such as Philips and Sony.*
These popular models are sold on a global scale this problem must surely be in your interest to publicize.*

Also see*http://www.sciencemagnews.com/apple...-getting-inverted-colors-on-your-screen.html*

If you are experiencing this problem post here!

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
they do publicly announce that they have nearly sold 1 million faulty apple tv's

Actually, at the moment it's just as likely that it's a problem with the HDMI implementation in 2 specific brands of TV, since:

The majority of affected televisions as depicted in the above link affects popular brands such as Philips and Sony.

Actually, they're all Philips and Sony: the others in the list you link to above are reported to "work flawlessly". Although this is clearly a genuine issue for people with the affected models, a bit less FUD-spreading might help.

sonofmof

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2005
UK
I have this problem

Actually, at the moment it's just as likely that it's a problem with the HDMI implementation in 2 specific brands of TV, since

There is a compatability issue for sure, but I find it hard to believe it is the fault of SONY or Phillips.

I have numerous HDMI devices plugged into my SONY tv, including my long serving Apple TV 1st gen, (which i'm very happy with and never had this issue) aswell as digital tv boxes and consoles.

NO other devices have this issue.

I'm almost as annoyed by the lack of response from Apple as I am about the actual issue. I have called and used the support site too.

This is NOT a good way to start with a product which has HUGE potential.

alands

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2011
Rutland, UK
Another brand of tv doesn't work with Apple tv

My current tv is a Finlux 40" LED full HD, and the previous one was the same make, a bit smaller, and LCD. Both of these have the green screen/inverted colours problem. I have discussed this at length with Apple support level 2, and with Finlux. It is clear that Apple know about the problem, and have said that a fix is being worked on (no ETA).

I have been reading (and posting on) the Apple Discussions forum on this subject. It is clear that a very large number of users are upset about this, and many express the opinion that Apple should come clean, admit there is a problem, and DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT

Appleind

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2010
I am facing the same issue and own a Philips TV. It is really frustrating. I also tried updating my Tv's firmware and changed a few cables but no luck :mad:

adbe

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Actually, at the moment it's just as likely that it's a problem with the HDMI implementation in 2 specific brands of TV, since:

Putting aside the likelihood that both Sony and Philips introduced identical bugs into their implementations of HDMI/HDCP, and that Apple who are pretty new to this game are the blameless party...

It doesn't really matter if the error *is* on Sony/Philips' side, because

a) the problem is only manifest with the ATV, other hardware is not affected
b) Sony and Philips aren't the ones who are trying to break into the market
c) People are far more likely to return a $99 non-essential like the ATV than a $500+ TV, especially if the TV is already out of return period.

Whether it's Apple's fault or not, it *is* their problem, and they need to publicly acknowledge that fact, and fix the problem.

Audiotic

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; nl-nl) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Seemingly they fixed it. My ATV downloaded an update, and now the problem is gone. I am happy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.