Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 5, 2011, 12:37 AM   #1
Mickyfin
macrumors 6502

Exclamation Not Pretty - Photos of Terminal Damage Caused By Taking iPhone 4 Swimmming

I recently purchased an iPhone 4 with water damage in the hope to fix it, but sadly due to the water being that of a swimming pool, and the detergents that are in the water, this tied with the iphone 4 not being rinsed with clean water right away etc, the corrosion started, and its not pretty.

After the iPhone 4 went for a swim, it was then left completely assembled, and dried out, however as mentioned, the corrosion had already taken hold.

Here's the photos of the damage.

Once I had removed the Logic Board, i rinsed it in warm clean water for 10 minutes, and left to dry, then once dried out fully, I soaked the pcb for 3 hours in Isopropanol in a sealed container to losen up the corrosion so I could see the extent of the damage. This is what it looked like after the soak..

I then continued to clean up the area, and sockets seeing as the corrosion hadn't actually eroded the thin copper connectors away, so I thought I may actually try and get this thing back to life.

I brushed gently, and treated the corroded area, removing all corrosion, and now, this is the state of the Logic Board below. Im just waiting on a new replacement battery to arrive, and then I will reassemble the iPhone 4, however, instead of me using the carcass from the original soaked iPhone 4, I have assembled another iphone 4 with new, and second hand parts which I purchased separately.

New parts, White front glass with Retina lcd, home button switch/flexi, white back glass, new 5mp camera, white headphone jack, with volume buttons, and vibrate switch, and white dock connector. Proximity sensor, wifi board, power button, and new speaker/antenna also all replaced with new.

Second hand parts for new build were just the iPhone 4 frame itself.

Here's the logic board now as it stands, waiting for new batter to arrive so I can finish my rebuild.

If after everything I have done, and it still don't work, its no biggy for me, I have enjoyed the experience of working on this. What shall I do with the rebuild white iphone 4 should it not work when rebuilt? I will sell it on eBay no doubt, and be honest in my description on what exactly I have done.

I just thought some of you guys may of been interested in seeing these photos, hence me posting them here.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 01:01 AM   #2
deeesea
macrumors 6502

You sir are a serious badass for doing all this. BIG props to you!
deeesea is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2011, 01:08 AM   #3
THE dAY
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeesea View Post
You sir are a serious badass for doing all this. BIG props to you!
+1,

Nice skills.
THE dAY is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2011, 01:12 AM   #4
Dhelsdon
macrumors 65816

I have a iPod Touch 4G which had a cracked screen, so I bought a new lcd and digitizer off eBay to repair it. During the process I unknowingly tore the belt with soldered connections from the volume control buttons, and ended up giving up - admitting painful defeat. Disconnected the battery and I put it all back together and I am thinking about trying to get a replacement from apple store without a receipt, saying it died and never charged up or responded to pc connection.

If that doesn't work, I'll give it to you seeing as you could probably salvage something from it.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 01:29 AM   #5
cvd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhelsdon View Post
I have a iPod Touch 4G which had a cracked screen, so I bought a new lcd and digitizer off eBay to repair it. During the process I unknowingly tore the belt with soldered connections from the volume control buttons, and ended up giving up - admitting painful defeat. Disconnected the battery and I put it all back together and I am thinking about trying to get a replacement from apple store without a receipt, saying it died and never charged up or responded to pc connection.

If that doesn't work, I'll give it to you seeing as you could probably salvage something from it.
You should probably lie to more retailers in an attempt to get a refund for **** you broke. After-all, it's what most honest people would do.
cvd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2011, 01:33 AM   #6
Mickyfin
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Thanks, I really would appreciate that my friend. Just drop me a PM anytime, and I will be happy to cover postage.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 10:29 AM   #7
Dhelsdon
macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

It'd be sad for me, seeing as a digitizer costs 70$ but hey what can I do. I guess these tedious repairs aren't my thing but I still enjoy trying.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 10:48 AM   #8
Cod3rror
macrumors 68000

So, how much is it costing you in total?

Great job with the board.
Cod3rror is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2011, 10:50 AM   #9
MaxBurn
macrumors 65816

Nice cleanup job, hope no burnt components.
MaxBurn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2011, 10:52 AM   #10
TwoSocEmBoppers

If you can get this to work, how much will you have saved as opposed from buying new?

Quote:
Disconnected the battery and I put it all back together and I am thinking about trying to get a replacement from apple store without a receipt, saying it died and never charged up or responded to pc connection.
Nice, dude. That statement makes all of us here at MR really proud. /sarcasm
TwoSocEmBoppers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2011, 11:22 AM   #11
Pink∆Floyd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoSocEmBoppers View Post
If you can get this to work, how much will you have saved as opposed from buying new?

Nice, dude. That statement makes all of us here at MR really proud. /sarcasm
I second that
Pink∆Floyd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2011, 11:48 AM   #12
Pez555
macrumors 65816

i remember making a thread on here suggesting buying the parts seperately like you have done OP, and got torn to shreds for it!

i really hope you can get it to work so i can laugh at the people who doubted it!
Old Jan 5, 2011, 02:34 PM   #13
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez555 View Post
i remember making a thread on here suggesting buying the parts seperately like you have done OP, and got torn to shreds for it!

i really hope you can get it to work so i can laugh at the people who doubted it!
We were laughing at you because you wanted to buy every piece of the phone and make it yourself, which is not what the OP did.
Interstella5555 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2011, 03:43 PM   #14
Grayburn
macrumors 65816

Great work there Mick, hope it fires up when all done.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 03:53 PM   #15
Neolithium
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Neolithium Send a message via MSN to Neolithium Send a message via Skype™ to Neolithium
That's some impressive work Micky!
Old Jan 5, 2011, 06:08 PM   #16
Pez555
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interstella5555 View Post
We were laughing at you because you wanted to buy every piece of the phone and make it yourself, which is not what the OP did.
no......i wanted to buy the individual parts instead of buying a damaged iPhone. (chassis, logic board etc) (i have spoken to OP previously and got our parts from the same company).

if you go back to my thread you can even see in my original post what i was talking about. I got torn to shreds by people saying it is not possible. it is possible! and the OP will hopefully prove you wrong....

there is no difference as to what the OP is doing and what i planned to do. The parts are there to be bought seperately and individually. the only thing you need to worry about is the logic board.

edit : here let me link you

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...083&highlight=

it is possible

Last edited by Pez555; Jan 5, 2011 at 06:18 PM.
Pez555 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2011, 06:15 PM   #17
CZK
Banned

Try to buy another damaged iphone 4 to make your own frankenIphone4
CZK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2011, 07:22 PM   #18
anonymous guy
macrumors 6502

Rebuild threads are always interesting.

Don't let the "just buy another one" haters deter you from continuing this thread.
anonymous guy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2011, 11:24 PM   #19
Mickyfin
macrumors 6502

Well, I have tried everything, and sadly the logic board is completely fried. I'm now trying to source another logic board. I have found a seller on ebay that has them, but I maybe better off buying another iPhone 4, a damaged one which would work out the same price.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone