Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 5, 2011, 09:54 AM   #1
qwimjim
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Switching from windows: is there a tree style file manager for OSX?

I've been a windows user for 20 years and have grown quite attached to the windows style file manager, in fact when I switched to windows 7 i didn't like the changes they made and purchased directory opus which turned out to be a very powerful and customizable file manager. Looking at the stock file manager it doesn't seem like there's a tree style option, the closest thing is the column view but that's no good for me. Is there a third party file manager that I should take a look at?

http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/UploadF...es/WinExp2.jpg

Last edited by qwimjim; Jan 5, 2011 at 10:42 AM.
qwimjim is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2011, 09:57 AM   #2
skiltrip
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New York
I'd also be interested in something like this. I make my way around Finder but I'd love something that looks and behaves like Explorer in Win XP/98/2000.
__________________
MacBook Pro 15" 2GHz Quad i7 8GB RAM 750GB HD iPad mini retina 32GB iPod classic 160GB iPod touch 4 8GB
skiltrip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2011, 09:58 AM   #3
Dalton63841
macrumors 65816
 
Dalton63841's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SEMO, USA
I'm not sure if it has this option, but maybe you should look into TotalFinder. It is a Finder add-on, but it is extremely customizeable. I used it for a short while so I could have tabs in the Finder windows.
Dalton63841 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2011, 10:00 AM   #4
skiltrip
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New York
Found this...

http://www.ragesw.com/products/explorer.html

Looks promising, but it's 25 bucks.
__________________
MacBook Pro 15" 2GHz Quad i7 8GB RAM 750GB HD iPad mini retina 32GB iPod classic 160GB iPod touch 4 8GB
skiltrip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2011, 10:16 AM   #5
millerb7
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Why not just use the semi-tree style it has built into finder? It doesn't do it on the side but in the actual finder window? It seems like it would be close enough to that and it's free, built in by default.

It's how I use mine.
__________________
DISCLAIMER: I only claim 85% accuracy!
15" MBP 2.4GHz i5, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 640GB optibay HDD
MacRumors IRC: Server: irc.krono.net / Room: #macrumors
Profession: SEO / WEB CONSULTANT
millerb7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2011, 10:24 AM   #6
gnasher729
macrumors G5
 
gnasher729's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwimjim View Post
I've been a windows user for 20 years and have grown quite attached to the windows style file manager, in fact when I switched to windows 7 i didn't like the changes they made and purchased directory opus which turned out to be a very powerful and customizable file manager. Looking at the stock file manager it doesn't seem like there's a tree style option, the closest thing is the column view but that's no good for me. Is there a third party file manager that I should take a look at?
Try something completely different - Spotlight. If you look for a document, press Command-Space, enter some text from your document, and it comes up almost instantly.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2011, 10:29 AM   #7
MacBoobsPro
macrumors 603
 
MacBoobsPro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Send a message via AIM to MacBoobsPro
You mean like this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.png
Views:	111
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	266355  
MacBoobsPro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2011, 10:29 AM   #8
trevolly
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Dont forget as qwimjim said above you can change the view options within the finder to bring up this view....(highlighted where you would change the view)

I'd say thats as close as the windows screenshot you have posted.

Hope this helps

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2011-01-05 at 16.25.14.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	225.9 KB
ID:	266354  
trevolly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2011, 10:33 AM   #9
qwimjim
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiltrip View Post
Found this...

http://www.ragesw.com/products/explorer.html

Looks promising, but it's 25 bucks.
that looks interesting, thanks!

please keep the suggestions coming if you know of any alternatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevolly View Post
Dont forget as qwimjim said above you can change the view options within the finder to bring up this view....(highlighted where you would change the view)

I'd say thats as close as the windows screenshot you have posted.

Hope this helps

what i want is a two pane system, on the left side a tree structure that shows drives and folders, and i can expand multiple folders to show their subfolders always within the left pane. the right pane shows the contents of whatever folder i happen to have highlighted in the left pane with the option to view the files in list form with no details, so when there are a lot of files they would be displayed as multiple columns in the right pane. like so:

http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/UploadF...es/WinExp2.jpg

im going to edit my first post to show this photo instead since it's more representative

Last edited by annk; Jan 5, 2011 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Post merge - please use the multi-quote function
qwimjim is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2011, 10:37 AM   #10
MacBoobsPro
macrumors 603
 
MacBoobsPro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Send a message via AIM to MacBoobsPro
You can also hold down command and click on the icon at the top of the window for a bread crumb trail. Not very elegant but it works.
MacBoobsPro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2011, 11:30 AM   #11
karl878
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: CA
I use Spotlight and Finder most of the time, but when I want more detailed information I use Xfile: http://rixstep.com/4/0/td.shtml .
karl878 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2011, 02:05 PM   #12
Blu101
macrumors 6502a
 
Blu101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwimjim View Post
what i want is a two pane system, on the left side a tree structure that shows drives and folders, and i can expand multiple folders to show their subfolders always within the left pane. the right pane shows the contents of whatever folder i happen to have highlighted in the left pane with the option to view the files in list form with no details, so when there are a lot of files they would be displayed as multiple columns in the right pane. like so:

http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/UploadF...es/WinExp2.jpg
That's pretty much what Trevolly shows in his pic, aside from the aesthetics differences between Finder (Mac) and Explorer (Windows). Other than that, Finder will go into a multi pane system (off to the right) if you go into items that are folders themselves, whereas Explorer tends to simply go "into" the folder, keeping it a 2 pane system. I know what you mean, I came over from Windows after 20 years+, but don't be afraid to let go, you get used to how the Mac does it. The only thing I don't like is on programs like iTunes/iPhoto Finder doesn't show each file in their libraries (doesn't open it in another pane) - I forget how I go into these if I have to, but it's something like going into the OS X library's folder and there you'll find the iTunes/iPhoto/etc library folders. A bit cumbersome but oh well.
__________________
15" Macbook Pro 2010, 2.4Ghz Core i5 (520M), 8GB RAM, 500GB @ 7200 RPM HD, 1680x1050 Hi-Res Glossy
Blu101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2011, 07:58 PM   #13
akadmon
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New England
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Path Finder. It's easily the best known, most customizable Finder alternative out there.
__________________
"2012" Mac Pro 6-Core + 2013 MBA
akadmon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2011, 05:07 AM   #14
qwimjim
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
what about just running parallels, could i keep using my windows file manager (opus directory) in osx that way? that would be amazing if it was seamless
qwimjim is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Switching a lot from OSX to Windows kx22 iMac 9 Mar 27, 2014 10:03 PM
OSX Server OD (Workgroup Manager) devin p Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking 1 Nov 6, 2012 08:35 AM
File manager? Terijack iPhone 2 Oct 17, 2012 07:52 AM
File creation date differences between OSX and Windows XPcentric Mac Programming 3 Jul 27, 2012 04:51 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:54 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC