Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

133837-mac_app_store_500.jpg

According to The Loop, Apple is apparently planning to open the Mac App Store at noon Eastern Time tomorrow, bringing a variation of the company's integrated application purchasing system for iOS to the Mac OS X platform.
The Mac App Store will officially launch on January 6, but nobody has been able to nail down a time when the service will be publicly available.

According to my sources, the Mac App Store will be available at 12:00 pm (noon) ET on Thursday. That puts it at about 9:00 am PT where Apple is headquartered in Cupertino, Calif.
The Loop's Jim Dalrymple is a veteran Apple-focused journalist who early last month accurately claimed that the Mac App Store would launch in January, despite several rumors circulating at the time claiming that Apple would open the store before the holidays.

Just yesterday, we noted that several high-profile iOS developers are bringing Mac versions of their applications to the Mac App Store in the initial wave, generally opting to price their offering inline with the corresponding iOS versions.

Article Link: Mac App Store Reportedly Set to Launch at Noon Eastern Time Tomorrow

k2director

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2006
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hope there's a new version of iWork.

swagi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
Sounds right to me...

...otherwise tomorrow's news will be filled with all the stuff announced at CES - and none of it will be Apple related.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

That would be nice, so that I can update Keynote without also having to pay for Pages and Numbers.

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
Sounds right to me...

...otherwise tomorrow's news will be filled with all the stuff announced at CES - and none of it will be Apple related.

Actually it seems like a lot of that conference is devoted to Apple related products. Funny considering Apple isn't there.

res1233

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
For sure, I always forget if I'm supposed to drag the app to my app folder to install it or shoot myself in the face.

I'm pretty sure shooting yourself in the face will install the app, but I could be wrong. Dragging the app to the app folder is too easy, can't have any of that.

logandzwon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
For sure, I always forget if I'm supposed to drag the app to my app folder to install it or shoot myself in the face.

Come on, atlest 100 years ago before the 1st App Store people would need read magazines, talk to friends and colleges, google search, etc... to even find applications. Then they would have to find the part of the site that says, "ON SALE, BUY NOW!!!!" in hard to find, large, bright colors. ONLY THEN would they user be stuck with trying to figure out if they should drag the application to the shortcut to Applications that is labeled "drag here" or shoot themselves in the face. Now all a user has to do is open App Store an search for a topic!

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Wouldn't surprise me if the roll-out is staggered tomorrow, different times for different countries. I suspect there will be a lot of traffic, and they may want to have time to monitor the servers as they come up to speed.

Did I miss an article somewhere - but is Apple's new server farm in South Carolina hosting this new App Store?

x13gamer

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2006
Pure Michigan
Goodbye software piracy

(A faint bugle in the background is playing taps as a 21 gun salute reports.)

No more Pirating/sharing apple software.

johnnymg

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008

That's pretty much guaranteed!

I'm going to purchase Numbers for sure.

cheers to the longs
JohnG

Cameront9

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2006

To be fair, if you're coming from Windows and are used to installers, mounting a disc image and dragging the app to your app folder is confusing, as is the fact that after you install you have to dismount the disk image AND throw the image away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.