Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Jan 5, 2011, 04:25 PM   #1
gianly1985
macrumors 6502a

Security torx screws and bizzarre SSD drive as security means

I mean, isn't it cool?
Perfect for low tech threats (= most likely).
They can't login in OSX without your account password.
They can't boot off a USB drive without Open Firmware password (make sure you set up one).
Even if they manage to open the Air and figure where's the ssd drive, they still need another Air or a unusual adapter to read it. Then FileVault will kick in. But do you really need to use filevault, given all of this?
Of course depends on how valuable is the data stored in the Air.
For most people, chances are your data will be safe anyway.

Ever looked at it this way? (vs ranting about security torx and non-standard SSD drive)
gianly1985 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 06:07 AM   #2
miles01110
macrumors 604

All of this is pretty pointless. The workarounds for all of these "security features" are COTS products. Plus, thieves are typically uninterested in breaking the machine open and getting your data- their goal is to resell as quickly as possible.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 07:45 AM   #3
gianly1985
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles01110 View Post
All of this is pretty pointless. The workarounds for all of these "security features" are COTS products.
Of course.
Still the likeliness of owning those tools (security torx and non-standard-Toshiba-pico-SATA to USB adapter) is lower than philips screwdrivers, regular torx (non 5 point security) screwdrivers and a SATA to USB adpater.
Quote:
Originally Posted by miles01110 View Post
Plus, thieves are typically uninterested in breaking the machine open and getting your data- their goal is to resell quickly as possible.
Of course. Still, whoever EVENTUALLY put his hands on "my" (i don't actually own one) laptop probably will have to trash it. Or bring it to a technician, who will need to crack it open (hell, not even iFixit guys owned the proper screwdriver at first) and format the SSD (using another Air or a Photofast "pico"SATA to USB adapter). At that point (before formatting), they would be able to read my data (provided they use a mac, or windows with HFS+ reading software), if I didn't secure it with filevault or truecrypt.
I won't get the laptop back but there's a lower chance low tech thieves/buyers will look at my stuff.
gianly1985 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 09:45 AM   #4
chaoticbear
macrumors 6502

Locks only work for the innocent

But I imagine most people who have an MBA probably don't have any particularly sensitive data on it, and if they do, they probably shouldn't be losing it at a bar.
chaoticbear is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air