Do you think the 20" iMac will be upgraded soon? - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion

Old Jan 27, 2005, 09:39 PM   #1
dferigmu
macrumors 6502

Do you think the 20" iMac will be upgraded soon?

It would make sense, wouldn't it? Hasn't Apple done this before?

The 20" iMac is $1900. For almost $2000, it's ludicrous that the machine comes with a FX5200 card, 64 MB of video RAM, and 4X Superdrive.

I think it would make sense for Apple to leave the 17" models for a while longer and slightly upgrade the 20". I would surely buy it then.
dferigmu is offline   0
Old Jan 27, 2005, 11:12 PM   #2
Steven1621
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dferigmu
It would make sense, wouldn't it? Hasn't Apple done this before?

The 20" iMac is $1900. For almost $2000, it's ludicrous that the machine comes with a FX5200 card, 64 MB of video RAM, and 4X Superdrive.

I think it would make sense for Apple to leave the 17" models for a while longer and slightly upgrade the 20". I would surely buy it then.
its going to be awhile. i would avoid buying apple rev A products anyway. their track record hasn't been that great. i think there is a fan issue with the new imac's. the 20 in ones that we have at school always seem to have their fans on. maybe its just me...
Old Jan 28, 2005, 02:06 PM   #3
wdlove
macrumors 604

Officially MacRumors is neutral about the purchase of a iMac G5.

Product:
iMac

Last Release:
August 31, 2004

Days Since Update:
150 (Average = 193)

Recommendation:
Neutral - Mid product cycle

It's possible that an update could occur around the WWDC. I would be afraid to purchase an iMac now. AppleCare would fix any problems that would occur. You could also think about a refurb, that could save you $200.
Old Jan 28, 2005, 02:09 PM   #4
slipper
macrumors 65816

I havent noticed any major problems with the iMac G5. I think its actually pretty safe to buy the iMac.
slipper is offline   0
Old Jan 29, 2005, 09:07 AM   #5
dferigmu
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdlove
Officially MacRumors is neutral about the purchase of a iMac G5.

Product:
iMac

Last Release:
August 31, 2004

Days Since Update:
150 (Average = 193)

Recommendation:
Neutral - Mid product cycle

It's possible that an update could occur around the WWDC. I would be afraid to purchase an iMac now. AppleCare would fix any problems that would occur. You could also think about a refurb, that could save you $200.

I think it will be updated before, since an updated iMac isn't something really exiting that would happen at a convention. When is WWDC BTW?

Also, I was originally asking if only the 20" would be upgraded before the other models. Hasnít Apple done that kind of thing before? Just update the top-of-the-line?
dferigmu is offline   0
Old Jan 29, 2005, 10:31 AM   #6
mrgreen4242
macrumors 601

Quote:
I think it will be updated before, since an updated iMac isn't something really exiting that would happen at a convention. When is WWDC BTW?

Also, I was originally asking if only the 20" would be upgraded before the other models. Hasnít Apple done that kind of thing before? Just update the top-of-the-line?
Dunno what the track record for that kind of update is, but I am goign to venture a guess at no, they won't update just one of the iMac models... here's my logic:

The 1.8ghz 17" and 20" use the the same exact hardware internally. The 1.6ghz is physically identical, just clocked lower. (It has to be, it fits inside the same timy cramped space). If they were to make an upgrade it would fit into ANY iMac. Right now they are making 2 seperate system boards, if they upgraded the 20" they would be up to 3, cutting profits per unit.

What I am guessing is that there will be a new high end made, and it will go into the 17" SD and 20" models, with updates to 2ghz or so, and probably something in the GPU (probably just VRAM, knowing Apple). The old 1.8ghz boards will get shuffled down to the low end and 1.6ghz G5 production will stop.

This won't happen 'till AFTER PM updates. Whatever the low end PM is specced at, that's what the high end iMac will get, and abotu 30 days after the PM gets it.

Rob
mrgreen4242 is offline   0
Old Jan 29, 2005, 10:43 AM   #7
Ambrose Chapel
macrumors 65816

Quote:
i don't think apple's announced the dates yet. did a quick search on apple.com and nothing comes up. probably in july again...

Quote:
i think they've _introduced_ a new high end model without updating the others - the 20" iMac G4 originally introduced that way.
Ambrose Chapel is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion