Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jan 5, 2011, 09:05 PM   #1
McDLT
macrumors member

1 ATV, 2 houses?

i split my time between 2 different houses. is there any obstacle to bringing my atv with me? there are obviously 2 different wifi networks... will i have to manually change my settings each time? also, i prefer to use the itunes on my mac pro in one place... can i switch to my laptop's itunes easily?
McDLT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 02:36 AM   #2
KeithJenner
macrumors 6502a

There is no problem doing this.

I think you will have to re-enter the network details, as I doubt whether the Apple TV remembers past settings, but it auto detects the network so you just have to select it and enter the password.

As for using different computers, this isn't a problem at all. Ideally you want to set up home sharing on them all using the same iTunes account and it should work straight off. If for any reason you have to use a different account for home sharing in each place (i.e. maximum number of computers exceeded) then you will have to re-enter the details on the Apple TV each time.
KeithJenner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 08:17 AM   #3
Fizzoid
macrumors 68000

I switch my Apple TV between home and my GF's house. It doesn't remember network settings as Keith says, but it's no biggie having to set it up each time
Fizzoid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 08:45 AM   #4
McDLT
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithJenner View Post
There is no problem doing this.

I think you will have to re-enter the network details, as I doubt whether the Apple TV remembers past settings, but it auto detects the network so you just have to select it and enter the password.

As for using different computers, this isn't a problem at all. Ideally you want to set up home sharing on them all using the same iTunes account and it should work straight off. If for any reason you have to use a different account for home sharing in each place (i.e. maximum number of computers exceeded) then you will have to re-enter the details on the Apple TV each time.
i am unfamiliar with home sharing... does that mean that both computers will use the same itunes library? if so, will my desktop have to be on to access my content when i am in the other location?
McDLT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 10:41 AM   #5
From A Buick 8
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDLT View Post
i am unfamiliar with home sharing... does that mean that both computers will use the same itunes library? if so, will my desktop have to be on to access my content when i am in the other location?
If the computers are on the same network, then yes. The setup you described it does not sound like they are on the same network.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 01:11 PM   #6
BertyBoy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDLT View Post
i split my time between 2 different houses. is there any obstacle to bringing my atv with me? there are obviously 2 different wifi networks... will i have to manually change my settings each time? also, i prefer to use the itunes on my mac pro in one place... can i switch to my laptop's itunes easily?
I used to do this between two homes and a rented apartment in the town I worked in. Then, the old generation ATV with 160GB disk came into it's own. Sync unwatched and favourites at one home, watch sync'd stuff at other home and at rented place. It's only because the 160GB models were so expensive that I didn't buy three. They were also heavy.

But now at $99 each you have no excuse for not buying two and making it all a moot question.

BTW, there's no issue with having the two wireless networks with the same name, enctyption method and password.
BertyBoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 03:39 PM   #7
newagemac
macrumors 68000

I was just about to suggest that myself. Set up your wifi in both places to have the same name and password and that will eliminate the need for entering in the password every time you change networks.

Or if you have an Airport Express you can use that to connect to your wireless network and then just plug the Apple TV into its ethernet port.
newagemac is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater