Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 6, 2011, 10:40 AM   #251
Simplicated
macrumors 65816

Just within an hour of release, it's already filled with ratings by hypercritical people.
Simplicated is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 10:40 AM   #252
iVoid
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmille44 View Post
I'd like to be able to purchase hardware here too. I know it's an App store but why not sell hardware too? Would be funny to have macsales.com RAM next to Apple RAM for sale and see the price difference. Sell hardware and just call it the new apple store.

ETA: Why can't I buy a blender on here? I mean come on Apple?

ETA2: Where is the home button in the app store? Featured items is the home button?
http://store.apple.com

Or do you want to download more ram to your computer?

It's an APP store. Not a 'everything' store.
iVoid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 10:41 AM   #253
WeegieMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanMBP View Post
Yes the new app store application that was just installed.
I'd be having a look at your system, as I said my system is near identical specs to yours and the Mac App Store runs fast and fluidly here.
WeegieMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 10:41 AM   #254
Cue
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by weckart View Post
Look at what Pixelmator has done. Moved its operation to the Appstore and now no more upgrades (despite what Pixelmator promised on the website) unless you pay for the app again.
Not sure what you mean by that.
Also curious about the multiple macs thing. I've bought my MBP with iLife 09 installed. Does this mean it will transfer over to my older iMac which still has iLife 08?

So any price comparisons on existing applications? Thanks.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 10:41 AM   #255
iVoid
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaboze View Post
Does this new update and store allow full screen apps and pausing/switching or is that Lion?
That's Lion (although apps can implement their own full screen modes if they want).
iVoid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 10:42 AM   #256
CraigGB
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by footballplayr69 View Post
I'm getting the same thing, over and over. Can anyone else download anything?
I had the same error, another restart of my mbp fixed it
CraigGB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 10:42 AM   #257
skate71290
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasG View Post
How is Aperture 3 so much better than iPhoto 11?
More stable and responsive. Naming Faces is easier, more editing options, minimal stupid bugs, no beachballs, smooth scrolling on first run through of photos and events (doesn't need to build thumbnail cache or does it much better than iPhoto), much more reliable and stable importing of photos - just so much better
Old Jan 6, 2011, 10:42 AM   #258
Small White Car
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaboze View Post
Does this new update and store allow full screen apps and pausing/switching or is that Lion?
That's Lion, but iPhoto already has it.

Basically, it's something apps CAN put in now if they want to, but Lion will make it standard by changing the green button to do it everywhere.
Small White Car is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 10:43 AM   #259
jmille44
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iVoid View Post

It could be an everything store. Just put some tabs on the top:

Apps| Hardware | Liquor | Blenders | Appliances | Hookers & Blow
jmille44 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 10:44 AM   #260
danny_w
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniroll32 View Post
Whats the deal with the Application folders??

Has anyone else's now changed? My main folder [from the Home menu of Finder] has most of my applications, but the 'Application' folder from the SideBar has different applications And the App Store hasn't recognised my iWork!
Isn't that the way it has always been? The Applications in your Home folder are just your locally installed apps for the use only (root->Users->[user]->Applications) but the Applications folder in the sidebar is the system applications folder for everybody (root->Applications).
Old Jan 6, 2011, 10:44 AM   #261
weckart
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cue View Post
Read the Pixelmator forum. The version on the Appstore is newer than the last upgrade to be found on the website. Now all activities are moving to the Appstore.
weckart is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 10:44 AM   #262
ten-oak-druid
macrumors 68000

So is there a "Home Sharing" option as in itunes?
Old Jan 6, 2011, 10:44 AM   #263
knightlie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by casaschi View Post
It's the principle.
There's NOTHING fundamentally preventing access to an app store for 10.5, just they draw the line there.
It was stated at the time that 10.6 was a watershed release for Mac OS. It's been time to move on for a while now, if you're not going to upgrade then you don't really have much of an argument.

And you don't really have any idea of what differences there are between 10.5 and 10.6 which prevent apps being easily back-ported.
knightlie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 10:44 AM   #264
Small White Car
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cue View Post
Also curious about the multiple macs thing. I've bought my MBP with iLife 09 installed. Does this mean it will transfer over to my older iMac which still has iLife 08?
That's how it will work for apps you buy on the app store from now on. They work with your iTunes log in account, not with a serial number.

That won't affect software you already own, though, so your iLife won't change.

(Although iLife doesn't have a serial number...think about that for a minute. I'm not gonna say any more than that.)
Old Jan 6, 2011, 10:45 AM   #265
slicecom
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniroll32 View Post
Whats the deal with the Application folders??

Has anyone else's now changed? My main folder [from the Home menu of Finder] has most of my applications, but the 'Application' folder from the SideBar has different applications And the App Store hasn't recognised my iWork!
Nothing's changed. Mac OS has always been like that.

You've installed some apps to the system Application folder and others to your user account Application folder.

You know when an application asks you if you want to install the app for "All Users on this Computer" or for "Only This User"? "All Users" installs in the systems Application Folder and "This User" installs in your current user's Application folder.
slicecom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 10:45 AM   #266
zorinlynx
macrumors 68030

Are apps tied to the logged in user? Say my username is zorin, and I buy an app, and another user named sarah logs in, and tries to run the apps I bought; will she be able to run them?

I guess I could just test this but I'm lazy.
zorinlynx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 10:45 AM   #267
h1r0ll3r
macrumors 68040

What's the difference between the normal update and the combo update? I ran the software update on my mac and it downloaded the normal update only. Seeing as how there is an 800-900mb between the two, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything important.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 10:45 AM   #268
ten-oak-druid
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny_w View Post
Isn't that the way it has always been? The Applications in your Home folder are just your locally installed apps for the use only (root->Users->[user]->Applications) but the Applications folder in the sidebar is the system applications folder for everybody (root->Applications).
The side bar of the finder windows? That is the same application folder.

Applications and Users are at the same directory level.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 10:46 AM   #269
Small White Car
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightlie View Post
It was stated at the time that 10.6 was a watershed release for Mac OS. It's been time to move on for a while now, if you're not going to upgrade then you don't really have much of an argument.

And you don't really have any idea of what differences there are between 10.5 and 10.6 which prevent apps being easily back-ported.
THIS is the biggie. Ok...so he gets the app store on 10.5. How happy will he be when 90% of the apps in there won't run on his machine?

I bet he'd be complaining even louder then.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 10:47 AM   #270
kas23
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0815 View Post
ah, the grammar police is here ....

Did it ever come to your mind that not everyone on this forum is a native english speaker? Don't know for his case, but at least you were able to understand what he meant.
Ummm, I think it's "the grammar police are here ..."
kas23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 10:47 AM   #271
Small White Car
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1r0ll3r View Post
What's the difference between the normal update and the combo update? I ran the software update on my mac and it downloaded the normal update only. Seeing as how there is an 800-900mb between the two, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything important.
Normal = You have 10.6.5 and only need what's changed between that and 10.6.6.
Combo = You have something older and need the stuff you've missed by not getting the older updates.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 10:48 AM   #272
swarmster
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0815 View Post
does anybody know why they decided to not integrate it into iTunes? Would be a one store stop for all the digital shopping needs (and iTunes should anyway be renamed since it is already more than just tunes)
I'd like to see it go quite the other way. Take the music store out of iTunes and stick a Music section in this new store app. Or for that matter, have a separate Music Store app, like on the iPhone.

Then iTunes can get back to being just about your library. Maybe even take the whole iPod/iPhone/iPad syncing aspect out of it and make another program that handles syncing and mobile app management. Then iTunes becomes an ancillary program to that, like iPhoto is to iTunes now.
swarmster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 10:49 AM   #273
h1r0ll3r
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post
Normal = You have 10.6.5 and only need what's changed between that and 10.6.6.
Combo = You have something older and need the stuff you've missed by not getting the older updates.
Thanks for the clarification. NOW ON TO ANGRY BIRDS FOR MY MAC!!
Old Jan 6, 2011, 10:49 AM   #274
The Great Boony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by adztaylor View Post
I agree, it's impressive. Very simple to use and I think this is going to be a big hit. Especially for Mac users.
Yes, Windows users might not like it that much
The Great Boony is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 10:49 AM   #275
Xtremehkr
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by iVoid View Post

http://www.downloadmoreram.com/

I've downloaded about 128GB so far, it works great.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion