Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hijito

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2011
I recently acquired iPod touch 1G with 8gig, its the first one, it has black edges. The woman I bought it from (she sold it AS IS with no warranty) found it on a floor in the train.
The iPod is in recovery state. I have been trying for past two days to get it working. I dont need/want to jailbreak it, I just want functioning iPod.

Ive tried possibly every hint I found online. It is most likely a hardware failure, probably moisture inside or what I think is the main cause - faulty logic board or memory. Yet I want to keep trying before I sell it for parts (the display is in perfect shape.)

I have used for restoring both windows and mac iTunes, it gives exactly the same results:

1. While in recovery state, I connect it to iTunes. Device is found and iTunes wants to recover it. Downloads the newest firmware and says "preparing for recovery". After that on iPod display there is an apple logo, then loading circle then progress bar shows up. I can see very little bit move in the progress bar, then it quits back to recovery mode again (arrow pointing to iTunes icon) and iTunes says "error 28."

I have tried loading older firmware, same result.

2. While in DFU mode, I do the same. I get errors 1604 on my mac, 1600 on windows pc. When I try to restore old firmware in this mode, the screen turns white for few moments but quits always at the exact moment (progress bar.)

The "preparing for recovery" takes around 5 minutes in DFU mode and looks like something is happening, but I always get error.

3. I have downloaded iREB which is supposed to bypass these kind of errors but I wonder if Im doing it right. I am not loading custom firmware during the process but official firmware (old and newer one.)

First, the iREB utility doesnt seem to download the necessary data for iPod Touch 1G but it works with iPod Touch 2 when selected. Then it says everything is ready.
When I try to restore in iTunes, I get error 1601.

Someone please give me some advice. I have killed at least two afternoons with it and I dont want to give up but seriously I am getting tired with it.

In case if anyone is interested, I can sell it for parts.

hijito

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2011
Havent tried that one.

What does it exactly do?

From what I understand it sets some kind of fake server. That means even if Im restoring from firmware on my hardrive, iPod needs to contact apple s servers?

lanulos

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2010
It gets your saved SHSH's from Cydia's server so you can restore older firmware that Apple isn't signing now. It also has a button get the iDevice out of recovery mode if it is stuck.

Last edited:

hijito

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2011
That means I have to have my SHSH saved prior to running Tinyumbrella?

I tried it, now I get error 20.

hijito

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2011
It gets your saved SHSH's from Cydia's server so you can restore older firmware that Apple isn't signing now. It also has a button get the iDevice out of recovery mode if it is stuck.

Also those buttons are greyed out for me.

lanulos

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2010
Also those buttons are greyed out for me.

The button to leave recovery mode is only active if it can detect recovery mode on your ipod.

Lets start at the beginning. What does your ipod look like if you just turn it on, not in recovery mode, not connected to the PC. Does it just show an Apple logo that never goes away?

Another question: What firmware are you trying to install? The latest you can get for the 1st gen ipod is 3.1.3. And if it is currently on 1.x, you have to pay 5 dollars in iTunes to buy the upgrade before you can install it.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Do this: Download PwnageTool 3.1.5 and the iPod Touch 1G 3.1.3 firmware package. Then run PwnageTool with the iPT 1G 3.1.3 firmware, have it pwn the iPod, then restore the iPod in iTunes using the custom firmware bundle.

hijito

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2011
The button to leave recovery mode is only active if it can detect recovery mode on your ipod.

Lets start at the beginning. What does your ipod look like if you just turn it on, not in recovery mode, not connected to the PC. Does it just show an Apple logo that never goes away?

Another question: What firmware are you trying to install? The latest you can get for the 1st gen ipod is 3.1.3. And if it is currently on 1.x, you have to pay 5 dollars in iTunes to buy the upgrade before you can install it.

If I just turn it on it has a cable pointing to iTunes icon. This is the state of the machine in which it had been given to me. Everytime it ends up in this, no matter what i try so far.

Everytime I plug it in PC, the iTunes discovers the device, saying its in recovery mode, it still shows the cable pointing to iTunes. Apple logo appears only when I try to restore it. It shows up for a while, then there is the progress bar, then it drops back to the original state. Every time.

I have no idea what firmware its on. It looks like the device is bricked or something.

Intelll: I will try that. Can I use those tools on mac?

I am trying to install 1.xxx or latest 3... it still does error everytime.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Intell: I will try that. Can I use those tools on mac?

Yes, PwnageTool is Mac only. It is against forum rules to post a link to download the 3.1.3 firmware for the iPod Touch 1G. But Google around a bit, you'll find it.

hijito

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2011
Do this: Download PwnageTool 3.1.5 and the iPod Touch 1G 3.1.3 firmware package. Then run PwnageTool with the iPT 1G 3.1.3 firmware, have it pwn the iPod, then restore the iPod in iTunes using the custom firmware bundle.

Ok I have done it as you said. This time the display showed pineapple logo, then apple logo, then the progress bar and it crashed again with error 28.
Any more ideas?

TJRiver

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2009
Call me crazy, but how about not buying someone else's lost property? Good luck jailbreaking other people's property......:D

hijito

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2011
Well I thought I could fix it. And its not like it was able to tell whose it is. It was found on the floor in the train.

So how about that,.

dravicreeper

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2013
Well I thought I could fix it. And its not like it was able to tell whose it is. It was found on the floor in the train.

So how about that,.
yeah i got the same problem
:confused:

----------

yeah i need help i just got an ipod that my brother got from one of his friends for free bc its stuck on the steve jobs npbea cartoon and when i plugit into itunes it goes to steve jobs then to this apple logo with the wheel at the bottom that eventually turns to a bar but mine doesnt even load it just says error 28 in itunes what do i do???? its an ipod 1st gen 8GB help!!!!:eek::confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.