Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacDaddy80

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2010
I am really confused up what the software update will be used for? How will we update e apps like imovie, iphoto and garageband? Will we do it in the updates section of the app store or will we go to software update from the finder bar?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
could i just go to software update and update everything without having to open the app store
Doubtful. Software Update would update Mac OS X components, which aren't available in the App Store. The App Store would be the tool for updating apps purchased there.

MacDaddy80

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2010
Doubtful. Software Update would update Mac OS X components, which aren't available in the App Store. The App Store would be the tool for updating apps purchased there.

what if i didn't buy anything there i just wanna use software update to update everything?

gumbyx84

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2008
If you want an app that will update 3rd party apps, look into AppFresh. Works with about 80%-90% of the apps out there.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
so i can still use software update to updatee my apple apps?
That remains to be seen, and depends on your Mac OS X version, as well. With the advent of the Mac Apps Store, Apple may elect to stop providing updates to Apple apps (non-OS) via Software Update and provide those only via the Mac App Store. But they could do that only for those who have the App Store installed. For those running earlier versions of Mac OS X, who don't have access to the App Store (like me), they would still need to provide Apple app updates via Software Update. They may elect to keep such updates available to everyone via Software Update.

bigwig

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2005
It's a major misfeature of the Mac App Store if I have to run the App Store app manually, rather than rely on Software Update to notify me of updates automatically,

Last edited:

MacDaddy80

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2010
It's a major misfeature of the Mac App Store if I have to run the App Store app manually, rather than rely on Software Update to do notify me of updates automatically,

I totally agree i just wanna use software update nothing else.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
The update tab in the Mac AppStore will update the applications you have installed via the AppStore.

The update via OSX will update core OSX components and Apple software.

bigwig

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2005
The update tab in the Mac AppStore will update the applications you have installed via the AppStore.

The update via OSX will update core OSX components and Apple software.
Exactly. That shows Apple's developers weren't thinking. Other apps do automatic daily or weekly checking for updates by having a helper app that gets periodic starts via launchd. It's turned on by a Preference item in the app itself. You don't have to start the app and navigate to a "check for updates" menu item, manually click an update icon, or navigate to the developer's download page, to see if you have an update waiting for you.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You invented this:
misfeature
Actually, he didn't.
http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/misfeature
misfeature - /mis-fee'chr/ or /mis'fee"chr/ A feature that eventually causes lossage, possibly because it is not adequate for a new situation that has evolved. Since it results from a deliberate and properly implemented feature, a misfeature is not a bug. Nor is it a simple unforeseen side effect; the term implies that the feature in question was carefully planned, but its long-term consequences were not accurately or adequately predicted (which is quite different from not having thought ahead at all). A misfeature can be a particularly stubborn problem to resolve, because fixing it usually involves a substantial philosophical change to the structure of the system involved.

Many misfeatures (especially in user-interface design) arise because the designers/implementors mistake their personal tastes for laws of nature. Often a former feature becomes a misfeature because trade-offs were made whose parameters subsequently change (possibly only in the judgment of the implementors). "Well, yeah, it is kind of a misfeature that file names are limited to six characters, but the original implementors wanted to save directory space and we"re stuck with it for now."

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Interesting. I tried two sources, and "misfeature" wasn't in either one. Nor was "lossage", used in the source you quoted. Interestingly, as I type, lossage is underlined in red, but misfeature is not. I've never seen either of them until now.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Interesting. I tried two sources, and "misfeature" wasn't in either one. Nor was "lossage", used in the source you quoted. Interestingly, as I type, lossage is underlined in red, but misfeature is not. I've never seen either of them until now.

It's a misfeature that lossage isn't included. :D

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
Exactly. That shows Apple's developers weren't thinking. Other apps do automatic daily or weekly checking for updates by having a helper app that gets periodic starts via launchd. It's turned on by a Preference item in the app itself. You don't have to start the app and navigate to a "check for updates" menu item, manually click an update icon, or navigate to the developer's download page, to see if you have an update waiting for you.

Who's to say that Apple hasn't already thought about this and are just planning to work it into OS X Lion? So many people think that the current version of the Mac App Store is the way it will be for the rest of eternity. This is just version 1.0, we are undoubtably going to see some major improvements.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.