Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 6, 2011, 04:34 PM   #1
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Find My iPhone is useless

So, I was just testing Find My iPhone out on Me.com to see if it could find my iPhone 4. I have the accounts set up and I can verify that it works if my 3G data is on. But, it does not work at ALL if 3G data is turned off, even though both Wifi and cellular calling/text messaging are on. It can't find it at all: no location, no pop up message, nothing. Me.com says it can't find it.

This is freaking useless. All someone has to do to defeat Find My iPhone is to turn the cellular data off in Settings.
SomeDudeAsking is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 04:45 PM   #2
macsrcool1234
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
There are many ways to defeat find my iphone.

An easy way to protect from your method is to put a passcode on the phone.
macsrcool1234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 04:47 PM   #3
bornblind
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Alabama
Then your phone must have a problem. It will work without Cellular signal.
__________________
15" MBPR2.26 Mac MiniGold 64GB iPhone 5sWhite 64GB iPhone 5Mac Pro
bornblind is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 04:47 PM   #4
SomeDudeAsking
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by macsrcool1234 View Post
There are many ways to defeat find my iphone.

An easy way to protect from your method is to put a passcode on the phone.
The iPhone passcode is even more useless, it doesn't do anything. You can just hook up any iPhone to a computer and run iPhone Explorer and have access to everything. Apple doesn't have good security.
SomeDudeAsking is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 04:49 PM   #5
bornblind
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Alabama
I smell a TROLL!
__________________
15" MBPR2.26 Mac MiniGold 64GB iPhone 5sWhite 64GB iPhone 5Mac Pro
bornblind is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 04:50 PM   #6
Small White Car
macrumors G4
 
Small White Car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Washington DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDudeAsking View Post
This is freaking useless. All someone has to do to defeat Find My iPhone is to turn the cellular data off in Settings.
Or, you know...they could turn off 'Find my iPhone' which would probably be the more popular option among theives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDudeAsking View Post
The iPhone passcode is even more useless, it doesn't do anything. You can just hook up any iPhone to a computer and run iPhone Explorer and have access to everything. Apple doesn't have good security.
Which is probably why Apple has a remote-wipe feature.

Also, I'm not sure what the iPhone's 'Data Protection' feature does, but I'm betting it's related to this somehow.
Small White Car is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 04:53 PM   #7
SomeDudeAsking
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by bornblind View Post
Then your phone must have a problem. It will work without Cellular signal.
No, I am connected to Wifi, 3G calling, text messaging, and I have push notifications turned on. I just tried again and still nothing if I have 3G data turned off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post
Or, you know...they could turn off 'Find my iPhone' which would probably be the more popular option among theives.



Which is probably why Apple has a remote-wipe feature.

Also, I'm not sure what the iPhone's 'Data Protection' feature does, but I'm betting it's related to this somehow.
The remote wipe doesn't work if Find My iPhone can't find my iPhone.

Last edited by dejo; Jan 6, 2011 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Consecutive posts. Please use multi-quote.
SomeDudeAsking is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 04:53 PM   #8
bornblind
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDudeAsking View Post
No, I am connected to Wifi, 3G calling, text messaging, and I have push notifications turned on. I just tried again and still nothing if I have 3G data turned off.
Read again, I said then you must have a problem with your phone. Is it JB? Have you tried a restore?
__________________
15" MBPR2.26 Mac MiniGold 64GB iPhone 5sWhite 64GB iPhone 5Mac Pro
bornblind is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 04:55 PM   #9
SomeDudeAsking
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by bornblind View Post
Read again, I said then you must have a problem with your phone. Is it JB? Have you tried a restore?
It is stock iPhone 4.2. And why do I even have to do a restore? I haven't changed the stock software.
SomeDudeAsking is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 05:00 PM   #10
bornblind
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDudeAsking View Post
It is stock iPhone 4.2. And why do I even have to do a restore? I haven't changed the stock software.
Do you want help or hate?
You don't have to do a restore but it could just fix your issue. I have done this to fix the same problem in the past. I have also had this issue in the past and was able to just delete my mail account from my phone and set it backup. After doing that "Find My iPhone" started working again.
__________________
15" MBPR2.26 Mac MiniGold 64GB iPhone 5sWhite 64GB iPhone 5Mac Pro
bornblind is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 05:00 PM   #11
Small White Car
macrumors G4
 
Small White Car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Washington DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDudeAsking View Post
No, I am connected to Wifi, 3G calling, text messaging, and I have push notifications turned on. I just tried again and still nothing if I have 3G data turned off.
Take it outside for a second and try it there. Make sure the phone can both see the sky AND still remain on the wifi network.

Both of those need to be true for this to be a good test.

My theory is that your ISP or your router are somehow not registering your location. When you're indoors you can't get a GPS signal so the phone has to rely on the 3G connection to find out where it is. Since you're on wifi it checks that instead and isn't getting an answer.

IF it works while you're outside but on wifi then you need to investigate why your wifi isn't registering the area you're in. In that case it'll be an issue with your wifi, not with your phone.

Gotta do that test, however, to know for sure.
Small White Car is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 05:05 PM   #12
SomeDudeAsking
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post
Take it outside for a second and try it there. Make sure the phone can both see the sky AND still remain on the wifi network.

Both of those need to be true for this to be a good test.

My theory is that your ISP or your router are somehow not registering your location. When you're indoors you can't get a GPS signal so the phone has to rely on the 3G connection to find out where it is. Since you're on wifi it checks that instead and isn't getting an answer.

IF it works while you're outside but on wifi then you need to investigate why your wifi isn't registering the area you're in. In that case it'll be an issue with your wifi, not with your phone.

Gotta do that test, however, to know for sure.
My GPS works fine with or without 3G data turned off. I've never had a problem using an Maps to find myself indoors or outdoors. Also, since Me.com can't even send me an alert to my iPhone while connected to wifi and with push turned on, it's not just the location problem.
SomeDudeAsking is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 05:07 PM   #13
Small White Car
macrumors G4
 
Small White Car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Washington DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDudeAsking View Post
My GPS works fine with or without 3G data turned off. I've never had a problem using an Maps to find myself indoors or outdoors. Also, since Me.com can't even send me an alert to my iPhone while connected to wifi and with push turned on, it's not just the location problem.
Then we're definitely back to 'try a restore.'

Or maybe try changing MobileMe passwords. Or something.

I thought it was just a location issue but if the messages aren't even getting through then something is very wrong. There's no reason you shouldn't be getting those if you're connected to the internet in any way.
Small White Car is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 05:13 PM   #14
iceterminal
macrumors 68000
 
iceterminal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Dallas Tx.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDudeAsking View Post
This is freaking useless. All someone has to do to defeat Find My iPhone is to turn the cellular data off in Settings.
It is amazing what a passcode and restriction settings can do. You've already said that "Find My iPhone" does work. Now all you have to do is protect your phone and settings. Two simple settings.

I would, before making a definitive statement in all capitals, look for all options available before losing my temper and spouting off.

__________________
The amount of material possessions one owns should not qualify them as a successful or just person.

The only worth these items have is the one you give them.
iceterminal is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 05:17 PM   #15
SomeDudeAsking
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceterminal View Post
It is amazing what a passcode and restriction settings can do. You've already said that "Find My iPhone" does work. Now all you have to do is protect your phone and settings. Two simple settings.

I would, before making a definitive statement in all capitals, look for all options available before losing my temper and spouting off.

If I could encrypt the entire iPhone with TrueCrypt I would so that I have proper security. The passcode on the iPhone doesn't do anything since it doesn't encrypt anything. You can bypass it by hooking it up to a computer.

I've just deleted and resigned in to Mobile Me and send a new message from Me.com. I'm going to give it 15 minutes.

I just wish that iOS doesn't get corrupted every week requiring a restore. You hear it so often to "restore" that it gives Apple a bad image that they can't make a stable OS.

Last edited by dejo; Jan 6, 2011 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Consecutive posts.
SomeDudeAsking is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 05:22 PM   #16
bornblind
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDudeAsking View Post
I just wish that iOS doesn't get corrupted every week requiring a restore. You hear it so often to "restore" that it gives Apple a bad image that they can't make a stable OS.
If you have to restore every week then you have got MAJOR problems. I have only had to restore prolly 4 total times since 2007.
__________________
15" MBPR2.26 Mac MiniGold 64GB iPhone 5sWhite 64GB iPhone 5Mac Pro
bornblind is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 05:30 PM   #17
crazytiger86
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
I think its your phone...

Im able to "Find My iPhone" without the SIM card in...
crazytiger86 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 05:33 PM   #18
SomeDudeAsking
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazytiger86 View Post
I think its your phone...

Im able to "Find My iPhone" without the SIM card in...
WTF, this stinks.
SomeDudeAsking is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 05:33 PM   #19
Infraggable Kru
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
how to put this lightly...

anyone that is too lazy to put a passcode lock on their iPhones needs to shut the hell up about security/findmy iPhone issues

you can't leave your car door open and then later complain that your car got broken into because your car alarm didn't work
Infraggable Kru is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 05:35 PM   #20
SomeDudeAsking
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infraggable Kru View Post
how to put this lightly...

anyone that is too lazy to put a passcode lock on their iPhones needs to **** about security/findmy iPhone issues

you can't leave your car door open and then later complain that your car got broken into because your car alarm didn't work
Once again, in case you didn't read the two posts already about this: I CAN BYPASS THE IPHONE PASSCODE EASILY!!!
SomeDudeAsking is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 05:44 PM   #21
crazytiger86
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDudeAsking View Post
Once again, in case you didn't read the two posts already about this: I CAN BYPASS THE IPHONE PASSCODE EASILY!!!
With all due respect and discretion, your logical premises and conclusion dont follow one another.

The fact that you can bypass the passcode with ease shouldn't really deter you from putting a lock on anything. Two cases in point: the fact that a padlock can be easily cut and thus "bypassed" with little to no effort does not mean that you should not use it. The fact that a door lock on a car can be easily bypassed with a hanger does not exempt you from the responsibility of locking your own car. ...Same with bike locks...Even locking your locker with a zip tie is better than no lock at all...

If your mentality was followed, no one would ever place locks on doors or gates. The point is, locks keep honest people honest and if something gets otherwise stolen because you failed to lock it, then the only person you could really blame is yourself.

P.S. TrueCrypt can be cracked....so by your logic, "whats the point", right? And relatively easily by cryptography standards... http://www.shortinfosec.net/2009/02/...container.html

Last edited by crazytiger86; Jan 6, 2011 at 05:51 PM. Reason: formatting
crazytiger86 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 05:49 PM   #22
Lukeyy19
macrumors 6502a
 
Lukeyy19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: England, UK
I can find my iPhone with:

3G off, Wifi On (Connected)

3G on, Wifi On (Disconnected)
3G on, Wifi On (Connected)
3G on, Wifi Off


I am unable to find my iphone with:

3G off, Wifi On (Disconnected)
3G off, Wifi Off


Therefore it cannot use the GSM connection to transmit the Wifi Triangulation/GPS location to Find My iPhone, but as long as it had a Data connection like you say you should have, wether it be Wifi or 3G, it should locate it,

So it seems to be a problem either with your phone or your Wifi Network

Have you tried it with the iPhone in a different Wifi Network?
__________________
iMac 27" Quad Core i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD
iPad 32GB WiFi (3rd Generation)
iPhone 5 32GB
TV
Lukeyy19 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 05:53 PM   #23
SomeDudeAsking
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Ok, so Find My iPhone appears to be working now after I deleted MobileMe and signed in again. It does take like 20-30 minutes for the message I sent from Me.com to get to my iPhone 4. The messages I sent before deleting MobileMe and signing in again were lost.


Quote:
Originally Posted by crazytiger86 View Post
With all due respect and discretion, your logical premises and conclusion dont follow one another.

The fact that you can bypass the passcode with ease shouldn't really deter you from putting a lock on anything. Two cases in point: the fact that a padlock can be easily cut and thus "bypassed" with little to no effort does not mean that you should not use it. The fact that a door lock on a car can be easily bypassed with a hanger does not exempt you from the responsibility of locking your own car. ...Same with bike locks...Even locking your locker with a zip tie is better than no lock at all...

If your mentality was followed, no one would ever place locks on doors or gates. The point is, locks keep honest people honest and if something gets otherwise stolen because you failed to lock it, then the only person you could really blame is yourself.

P.S. TrueCrypt can be cracked....so by your logic, "whats the point", right? And relatively easily by cryptography standards... http://www.shortinfosec.net/2009/02/...container.html
Your strawman arguments and your complete distortion (or lack of understanding) of the article in your link makes me think it would be a waste of time to respond.
SomeDudeAsking is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 05:59 PM   #24
Lukeyy19
macrumors 6502a
 
Lukeyy19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: England, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDudeAsking View Post
Ok, so Find My iPhone appears to be working now after I deleted MobileMe and signed in again. It does take like 20-30 minutes for the message I sent from Me.com to get to my iPhone 4. The messages I sent before deleting MobileMe and signing in again were lost.
definitely sounds to me like something is up with your Wifi Network, not allowing incoming connections very well maybe?

mine displays messages sent from Find My iPhone, within seconds.
__________________
iMac 27" Quad Core i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD
iPad 32GB WiFi (3rd Generation)
iPhone 5 32GB
TV
Lukeyy19 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 06:04 PM   #25
crazytiger86
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDudeAsking View Post
Your strawman arguments and your complete distortion (or lack of understanding) of the article in your link makes me think it would be a waste of time to respond.
...which you did anyways... [?]

*cough* Geez...read a wikipedia article on logical fallacies and all of a sudden, boom... have a true mastery of logical argumentative principles...

Listen, you dont need to get all hostile. If anything, I'm trying to help you. I didnt mean my comments to disparage you ("With all due respect and discretion"). We're all trying to help you. Even a few posts above, you snapped at someone that offered pretty good advice to you.

Anyways, the majority of the people here agreed that if you don't place a passcode on your phone, there is no one else to blame but yourself. You're bordering on negligence. And honestly, if you bought an iPhone expecting Rijndael or Serpent security, you've been duped. If placing a passcode on your iPhone (in your eyes) wont help because its "easily bypassed", then it definitely cant hurt. Honestly, I dont know what the hell you're hiding on your phone anyways... no one is going to really care about your Angry Birds high score...

But for good measure, if I were you, I'd take the phone over to a Genius Bar to get it checked out. It could be your network, but it could also be a problem with the GPS antenna. The phone is still under warranty, so why chance anything?

p.s. If you need more links, help yourself. http://www.google.com/search?q=cracking+truecrypt

Last edited by crazytiger86; Jan 6, 2011 at 06:19 PM. Reason: For great justice!
crazytiger86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can't find my iPhone (Find friends, location serv. probs) orr971 iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 10 Oct 5, 2013 04:57 PM
iphone 3 - useless? ijo iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 0 Sep 11, 2013 12:17 PM
Is "Find my Mac" useless if you PW protect your machine? coldjeanzzz MacBook Air 1 Jun 8, 2013 07:01 PM
Find My iPhone says iPhone doesn't have any connection, can't find it. Why? Cubytus Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 49 May 21, 2013 02:50 PM
Find My Iphone cannot find Mac davyvfr iPad Apps 0 Nov 19, 2012 08:26 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:36 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC