Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jan 6, 2011, 06:54 PM   #1
GSX
macrumors member

How to connect Apple TV to PC with no WiFi

Hi,

I am trying to help my aunt with setting up an Apple TV in her house, but I have a few questions. Currently she has a PC with no WiFi capabilities. The PC is located in a room separate from the TV in the living room. I want to make everything as simple as possible to setup and run, and keep it affordable.

I was thinking that she could use a usb WiFi adapter to give her PC WiFi. I have no experience with these though. Will it work with an Apple TV? Will it be able to transmit at a speed fast enough for videos? What should I be looking for with one of these things?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
GSX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 07:23 PM   #2
swirlybee
macrumors member

Is there a wireless router somewhere in the equation? You could connect it via ethernet wire to the pc.
swirlybee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 07:28 PM   #3
87vert
macrumors 6502

You can add a wireless card to her pc and create an ad-hoc network or just pop in a cheap router and have a wireless network.
87vert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 07:38 PM   #4
GSX
macrumors member

Thanks for the replies.

Currently she does not have a wireless router.

Maybe a wireless router might be a better option. Which router should I be looking for? I think most people like Linksys routers. What are most people using these days?

Thanks again.
GSX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 08:00 PM   #5
marmac
macrumors newbie

my pc that does not have a wireless card is connected to airport express.
the beauty of that is i can stream itunes from my pc to apple tv. you can get one refurb for $69. not too different in price from a wireless card or usb stick.
marmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater