Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Jan 7, 2011, 05:16 AM   #1
petalino
macrumors regular

InvisibleSHIELD and Apple logo on front of my Air

I just installed Zagg InvisibleShield on the back of my 11" Air.

While it does not look as great as the pure aluminum surface, it does its job of protection against scratches.

Today I should be ready to cover the top part with the plastic Apple logo in it.

I am afraid that I might push the wettting solution into the Air itself, since there must be a small gap between the alu chassis and the logo itself. How do you guys deal with this?

Also because of the tiny gap, will air not be trapped there? Does it not look rather cheap?
petalino is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2011, 02:03 PM   #2
iCheddar
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to iCheddar
As long as you don't put a gallon of liquid on the top of the case, you should be just fine.

I've done skin installs on plenty of devices with no problems.

You are correct to observe that air might get trapped in the gap, what you need to do is thoroughly go over the top of the case with your squeegee to eliminate air bubbles. If you are through, you should only have a couple really tiny bubbles left in the gap - they will go away as the skin and the adhesive cures.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 12:10 AM   #3
ejisfun
macrumors regular

I had no problem with any water going into my air.

To get the air bubbles out, I found that a credit card was too rigid to work around the curves of the apple. So, I worked out a technique of pressing with my finger to get the air out of the apple, then immediately catching it with a credit card before the air went back into the apple.
ejisfun is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2011, 01:15 AM   #4
BeyondtheTech
macrumors 65816

Probably a little too late to recommend, but you should have spent the extra 5 bucks to get the ZAGGskin. It is a dry application, and you could create your own skin.

http://www.tuaw.com/2010/12/22/diy-c...r-macbook-air/
BeyondtheTech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2011, 02:56 AM   #5
JesseW6889
macrumors 6502

I disagree... I installed the invisible shield on my 13" a month ago and had no issues with trapped air on the apple logo, I also got a fair amount of water 'in' around the edges ect, but I blew it out with compressed air and let it sit for a little while.

WATER IS ONLY DESTRUCTIVE TO YOUR LAPTOP IF ELECTRICITY IS APPLIED!!!

You can submerge this thing in water (don't!) and it doesn't 'hurt' the components, its the impurities in the water that allow the electricity to 'travel' between circuits its not supposed to travel between.

The problem I DID have with this invisible shield, was TINY specks of 'whatever' and hair, etc falling onto the surface while peeling it off the backing, ALSO, be very careful to wet the adhesive side down as you're peeling it off, as if adhesive meets adhesive (which is likely while peeling off such a large piece) you're not going to like the force needed to separate the two :/

Edit: The biggest problem since using the invisible shield is on the wrist pad... the 'lip' that goes into the keyboard divot adds height to the ridge underneath the keyboard, and over time, your hands will get the ridge dirty, and transfer the dirt onto the screen when the laptop is closed. I wash my hands before using, or I put a cloth in when the lid is shut, good luck!

Last edited by JesseW6889; Jan 8, 2011 at 02:59 AM. Reason: update
JesseW6889 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air