Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Jan 7, 2011, 10:17 AM   #1
srharris22
macrumors member

new iMac won't wake up from sleep?

So I leave my iMac on and it goes to sleep like normal. problem is
that I come back and click on my magic mouse pad and....nothing happens. So I click on the keyboard and ....nothing happens, just the black screen. I tap the power button and nothing happens. So I just hold down the power button for a hard shut down and I can hear when it final shuts down. Wait a little while then power it back up and everything is fine. This has happened probably once per week over the last month or so.
I can't trace this to anything specific, but I have owned the iMac since September and I think this only started after I downloaded the Facetime beta release from apple directly.
Help?!
srharris22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2011, 08:37 AM   #2
Precision4
macrumors newbie

I have the exact same problem...although, I do not have facetime. For me, it seems that if the iMac sleeps for more than a day it doesn't wake up.

Anyone have any ideas...Resets and unplugging do not seem to make a difference at all.
Precision4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 09:23 PM   #3
amao
macrumors newbie

new iMac won't wake up from sleep

I've the same problem and within the first three months of the warrantee, I called Apple helpline twice but the problem is still here. It seems to be a common problem for iMac, and not sure if Apple store will address it.

I'm also thinking about getting a wired mice to wake up the computer if it is a bluetooth problem.

ideas??
amao is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 10:54 PM   #4
philbeeney
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by amao View Post
I've the same problem and within the first three months of the warrantee, I called Apple helpline twice but the problem is still here. It seems to be a common problem for iMac, and not sure if Apple store will address it.

I'm also thinking about getting a wired mice to wake up the computer if it is a bluetooth problem.

ideas??
Not sure if you have the latest iMac, but Apple have released a firmware update for this issue as reported by MacRumors today.

"This firmware update fixes an issue that in rare cases may cause an iMac to hang during startup or waking from sleep."
philbeeney is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2011, 03:24 AM   #5
wackymacky
macrumors 65816

Location: sent to 17.019528,-25.06721 for the next 6 weeks for my sins
I have had this issue occasionally with a same model Mac.

Error console suggests that it is a Blue tooth issue with the magic mouse. turning off the mouse and using corded mouse fixed the issue.

I'm not sure whether the new firmware update fixes this issue.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 06:10 PM   #6
amao
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbeeney View Post
Not sure if you have the latest iMac, but Apple have released a firmware update for this issue as reported by MacRumors today.

"This firmware update fixes an issue that in rare cases may cause an iMac to hang during startup or waking from sleep."
I got my iMac this early Jan.

Last night I tried to install this firmware but it doesn't work with the Mac OS on my iMac. not sure why?
amao is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2011, 06:59 AM   #7
sandifop
macrumors newbie

FaceTime, Sleep and Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by srharris22 View Post
So I leave my iMac on and it goes to sleep like normal. problem is
that I come back and click on my magic mouse pad and....nothing happens. So I click on the keyboard and ....nothing happens, just the black screen. I tap the power button and nothing happens. So I just hold down the power button for a hard shut down and I can hear when it final shuts down. Wait a little while then power it back up and everything is fine. This has happened probably once per week over the last month or so.
I can't trace this to anything specific, but I have owned the iMac since September and I think this only started after I downloaded the Facetime beta release from apple directly.
Help?!
I have had this issue also, ever since FaceTime. The iMac only locks up if a) FaceTime is running and b) the system sleeps. Funny though, I do not have system sleep enabled in Energy Preferences; only display sleep.
sandifop is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2011, 11:51 AM   #8
tekboi
macrumors 6502a

My iMac is doing this too. Ever since the Lion Upgrade. And to be honest, it's starting to get ****ing annoying.

Mainly because this just should NOT be happening. I bought a mac to avoid **** like this. And I simply cannot figure out what the problem is.
tekboi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2011, 06:02 AM   #9
chipper229
macrumors newbie

iMac won't wake up after sleep

Mac would not wake if it was asleep for several hours or more. Had to perform hard shutdown (not recommended as routine as it might corrupt files) each time. Tried reset PRAM/NVRAM and reset SMC per other recommended fixes to no avail. Another site recommended uninstall wireless mouse/keyboard and re-pair. That did the trick and she's back to normal
chipper229 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2013, 11:29 AM   #10
chickenlegs
macrumors member

iMac won't wake after sleep

I contacted Apple about this very topic and their advice is that it's likely to be the after market RAM that's to blame. Indeed, following the conversation with Apple, I contacted the people who sold me the RAM and they have agreed that faulty or non compatible RAM is likely to be the cause and have asked me to test each stick in turn to see if the Mac identifies a faulty module, which I have yet to do. Apart from this, the other solution is to reset the SMC and vram which I have done.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac