Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Just a couple of Q's regarding the Mac App store-

1) Can you redownload software and unlimited number of times, like Steam?

2) Do you have to log in to run your software but have the ability to run them on as many machines as you want (like Steam again) or is it more like iOS where you can only install to 5 machines at a time?

3) Can you have multiple accounts? Say if I have numerous personal computers and 1 shared one with others who have bought MAS apps, can they all run simultaneously?

amorya

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2007
2) Do you have to log in to run your software but have the ability to run them on as many machines as you want (like Steam again) or is it more like iOS where you can only install to 5 machines at a time?

FYI, That's not true of iOS, you can install an app on any number of devices that you own.

The terms and conditions say

i) You may download and sync a Product for personal, noncommercial use on any Apple-branded products running iOS (“iOS Product”) you own or control.

The reason everyone gets confused (you're not the only one to make that mistake) is they also say:

(iii) You shall be able to store App Store Products from up to five different Accounts at a time on compatible iOS Products, such as an iPad, iPod and iPhone.

However, that's saying that you can have five accounts per device, not five devices per account.

Anyhow, to answer your questions:

1) Can you redownload software and unlimited number of times, like Steam?

Yes

2) Do you have to log in to run your software but have the ability to run them on as many machines as you want (like Steam again)?

Yes

3) Can you have multiple accounts? Say if I have numerous personal computers and 1 shared one with others who have bought MAS apps, can they all run simultaneously?

I think so, but I'm not sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.