Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Jan 8, 2011, 03:09 AM   #1
JesseW6889
macrumors 6502

Extra MBA Magsafe

Can I use older model magsafe adapters to power my late '10 MacBook Air?

I saw someone asked if they could use the power cord from their 15" MPB even though it was rated higher.

I don't have an additional adapter, but the ones I'm looking at on amazon are $25, instead of $75. I don't care if its bigger, I just need it to stay plugged in at home.

Any advice? I don't know if I can put links to products but I searched "Replacement AC Adapter for Apple MagSafe MacBook Pro Laptops 16.5V, 3.65A 60W" on amazon.com and picked the first one for about $26 bucks... can someone confirm that I can use this, that the magsafe plug is compatible, etc?

I really need to get one from amazon, as I have a gc for there and amazon prime shipping for another week, so if you point me else where, please make sure it is on there!
JesseW6889 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2011, 03:21 AM   #2
tmoerel
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseW6889 View Post
Can I use older model magsafe adapters to power my late '10 MacBook Air?

I saw someone asked if they could use the power cord from their 15" MPB even though it was rated higher.

I don't have an additional adapter, but the ones I'm looking at on amazon are $25, instead of $75. I don't care if its bigger, I just need it to stay plugged in at home.

Any advice? I don't know if I can put links to products but I searched "Replacement AC Adapter for Apple MagSafe MacBook Pro Laptops 16.5V, 3.65A 60W" on amazon.com and picked the first one for about $26 bucks... can someone confirm that I can use this, that the magsafe plug is compatible, etc?

I really need to get one from amazon, as I have a gc for there and amazon prime shipping for another week, so if you point me else where, please make sure it is on there!
Yes you can use it without a problem.

And if you would have bothered checking older posts on MacRumors you would have found multiple answers to your questions.

Last edited by Doctor Q; Jan 9, 2011 at 02:41 AM. Reason: edited quote
tmoerel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2011, 03:31 AM   #3
JesseW6889
macrumors 6502

I know that the wattage etc is safe to use, but what I don't know is if there are variations in magsafe adaptors and if they are all compatible or not, are you suggesting that all magsafe adapters are interchangeable, so that any adaptor would work? Or are you saying that that specific one will work, maybe I'm misreading it, but from the sound of your attitude, I can't imagine you put much effort into actually checking it out. My apologies if I am mistaken.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 03:36 AM   #4
Thiol
macrumors 6502a

All magsafe adapters are interchangeable.
Thiol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2011, 03:40 AM   #5
JesseW6889
macrumors 6502

Thank you both!
Old Jan 8, 2011, 09:11 AM   #6
BeyondtheTech
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thiol View Post
All magsafe adapters are interchangeable.
Just to clarify on that, the MacBook Air requires only 45W, while the MacBook Pro requires upwards of 85W. If you try to power your MacBook Pro with the Air's adapter, it won't properly juice it. But, the Pro's AC adapter can throttle down to charge the Air properly.

Bottom line is, all genuine MacBook AC adapters are compatible with the MacBook Air since it has the lowest power requirement.
BeyondtheTech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2011, 09:45 AM   #7
farmermac
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheTech View Post
Just to clarify on that, the MacBook Air requires only 45W, while the MacBook Pro requires upwards of 85W. If you try to power your MacBook Pro with the Air's adapter, it won't properly juice it. But, the Pro's AC adapter can throttle down to charge the Air properly.

Bottom line is, all genuine MacBook AC adapters are compatible with the MacBook Air since it has the lowest power requirement.

For something as crucial as power input I'd stick to a genuine apple adapter. Get is used if you have to...
Old Jan 10, 2011, 11:05 AM   #8
BeyondtheTech
macrumors 65816

I've had clone MagSafe adapters when I had my MacBook. It worked great.

I ordered a 45W one off of eBay for the MacBook Air, and while it powered it, it wouldn't charge the battery.

Does anyone know of a good clone adapter that will work? I don't want to spend $80 for another adapter that will sit at home while I carry the genuine around when I'm on the go.
BeyondtheTech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 11:31 AM   #9
gglockner
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmermac View Post
For something as crucial as power input I'd stick to a genuine apple adapter. Get is used if you have to...
That's not the issue. The issue is that Apple makes MagSafe adaptors in three wattages: 45W, 60W and 85W. Not only do these output different power levels, but they are different sizes. So you can use a higher power adaptor, but you can't use a lower one. For example, you can use a 60W or 85W adaptor on a MacBook Air, but you can't use the 45W adaptor from a MacBook Air on a MacBook Pro.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 11:51 AM   #10
hfg
macrumors 68030

You might check eBay or OWC for genuine oem replacement adapters:

http://eshop.macsales.com/search/Magsafe

-howard

Last edited by hfg; Jan 10, 2011 at 12:23 PM.
hfg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 12:07 PM   #11
farmermac
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by gglockner View Post
That's not the issue. The issue is that Apple makes MagSafe adaptors in three wattages: 45W, 60W and 85W. Not only do these output different power levels, but they are different sizes. So you can use a higher power adaptor, but you can't use a lower one. For example, you can use a 60W or 85W adaptor on a MacBook Air, but you can't use the 45W adaptor from a MacBook Air on a MacBook Pro.
I understand that well. You can use the lower adapter on the higher model but it wont charge as fast or wont charge while using, just provide power. I do it all the time. I have one of each (keep the 85w at work, 60w at home and 45w in the bag). Getting an aftermarket power adapter is the worst place to cut corners and save money.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 12:24 PM   #12
Dalton63841
macrumors 65816

I bought an aftermarket power adapter for my MBP about 6 months ago for $25(tear filled story involving a German Shepherd that likes to chew). I was broke and couldn't afford the genuine Apple branded one. In any case it has worked perfectly for me. (Granted I did choose the one rated exactly for my model.)
Dalton63841 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2011, 05:57 PM   #13
JesseW6889
macrumors 6502

Received charger in question today ($27 shipped w/ free prime upgrade) and it works! I'm using it as my home power cord, so I'm not concerned about durability, but I'm not exactly sure where the posts about them being extremely weak come from... this thing obviously isn't made with anything spectacular, but its hardly falling apart in my hands!

I'm very happy with this purchase, plus the magsafe plug is straight, instead of angled which I kind of like as an option at least.

Thanks everyone for your feedback!
Old Feb 19, 2011, 12:24 AM   #14
topmounter
macrumors 68000

I was at the Genius Bar recently getting an issue sorted out on my MBP and the Genius told me that while the higher wattage magsafe adapters would work on an Air, they weren't good for regular use and could damage the battery.

Granted, this doesn't make much sense, otherwise I'd think Apple would have made the connectors different or added a BIOS-level on-screen message warning you of the wattage mismatch (as I've seen when mixing power adapters on some Dell laptops), but I thought I'd share this wonderful story.
topmounter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2011, 02:34 AM   #15
AlphaDogg
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by topmounter View Post
I was at the Genius Bar...they aren't good for regular use and could damage the battery.
That's *************. Long story short: Apple employees with the titles of "Genius" aren't actually smart. They know how to enter information into the system, install software updates, and how to print out work forms. That's it.

Example:
Customer: My MacBook won't boot!
Genius: Since we are too incompetent to actually perform any repairs, we have to send this off to the work depot. You should have it back within the next 36-168 hours. Do you have a backup of your data?
Customer: No.
Genius: Is your data important to you?
Customer: I...I... I guess...
Genius: We can back up all of your data for the one time only price of $75.
Customer: Thanks! That's so nice that you offer that service for the price of a 1TB external HDD... I really appreciate your helpfulness!
Genius: We are here to help!

Alternative post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topmounter View Post
I was at the Genius Bar...
Ok. That's where you went wrong. But that's okay. Everyone makes that mistake. Whenever I go in to the Genius Bar, I make sure I know what I am coming in there for, and that it gets done; none of this $75 backup nonsense.

Last edited by AlphaDogg; Feb 19, 2011 at 01:11 PM.
AlphaDogg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2011, 12:05 PM   #16
topmounter
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDogg View Post
Alternative post:

Ok. That's where you went wrong. But that's okay. Everyone makes that mistake. Whenever I go in to the Genius Bar, I make sure I know what I am coming in there for, and that it gets done; none of this $75 backup nonsense.
Actually I went very right... considering this was the most expeditious way to get a warranty / replacement issue resolved... Thankfully I didn't schedule an appointment at the Genius Bar to ask about power adapters or how to enable Time Machine.

The power adapter question was more of a side conversation that started when I commented on the new magsafe elbow connector.
topmounter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2011, 02:06 PM   #17
bshaf1
macrumors newbie

is this the older macbook air's magsafe charger? or is this just a picture of a non-air charger that they used? http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Apple/MB283LLAB/

compared to http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC...co=MTY3ODQ5OTY
bshaf1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2011, 04:42 PM   #18
zinka
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshaf1 View Post
is this the older macbook air's magsafe charger? or is this just a picture of a non-air charger that they used? http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Apple/MB283LLAB/

Yes, that's from the older Air. It's compatible with the newer Air -- same voltage, wattage, connector.
zinka is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air