Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 8, 2011, 06:08 AM   #1
docmagoo2
macrumors member

How to find out what network your iphone is locked to

Hey folks,

Just a quick bit of advice to those who have purchased an iphone (for example on eBay) and later found that its locked to an unknown network and therefore unable to activate it and getting the "sim not supported message". I have spotted lots of online posts regarding how to find out which network its locked to without having official carrier sims to try out in the phone. people have said about model number but this will only give you a region as opposed to the lock status. simply take it into your local apple store and they can look up which network it is locked to. simple as that. Apple belfast were brilliant.
docmagoo2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2011, 06:15 AM   #2
crazytiger86
macrumors 6502

You can normally look it up too.

Settings > General > About > Carrier
crazytiger86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2011, 10:42 AM   #3
docmagoo2
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazytiger86 View Post
You can normally look it up too.

Settings > General > About > Carrier
yeah, but this is only if you can get past the "connect to iTunes" activation screen. If like me you got an iPhone4 and was told it was unlocked / locked to your home network and it turns out to be otherwise then you cant get past the activation screen without an official SIM, instead I kept getting "The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported" when I tried to activate so couldnt even get into settings to look. I knew it was a UK model but this means it could be either O2 / Orange / VOdafone / three and I certainly wasnt buying a microsim for each network to check. Just saying if youre faced with this issue then go to Apple and they can look it up on their systems and tell you what network its locked to. Im going into Vodafone tomorrow with my receipt to ask them to give me my NUC as per vodafone customer services.
docmagoo2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2011, 05:30 PM   #4
ghostrider501
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmagoo2 View Post
Hey folks,

Just a quick bit of advice to those who have purchased an iphone (for example on eBay) and later found that its locked to an unknown network and therefore unable to activate it and getting the "sim not supported message". I have spotted lots of online posts regarding how to find out which network its locked to without having official carrier sims to try out in the phone. people have said about model number but this will only give you a region as opposed to the lock status. simply take it into your local apple store and they can look up which network it is locked to. simple as that. Apple belfast were brilliant.
Iv just bought an iphone4 from a guy that said it was unlocked but then when i got there he told me it wasnt but i bought it anyway,when i go to apple.ie,help and support and enter the serial number it says that the phone has not yet being activated,does this mean that what ever sim card i enter and activate it with,it gets locked to this network?i hope so,i dont have an apple store close by to take it to,thank you..
ghostrider501 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:17 AM   #5
xentelworker
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider501 View Post
Iv just bought an iphone4 from a guy that said it was unlocked but then when i got there he told me it wasnt but i bought it anyway,when i go to apple.ie,help and support and enter the serial number it says that the phone has not yet being activated,does this mean that what ever sim card i enter and activate it with,it gets locked to this network?i hope so,i dont have an apple store close by to take it to,thank you..
There use to be a method usien IMEI, but Apple has closed that option. There is an alternate method with good sucess. Have a look at the article below:

http://xentelworker.com/?p=1209

Regards,

xentelworker
xentelworker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2014, 02:13 PM   #6
isaacplus
macrumors newbie

how can I unlock my iphone4 pls can anybody help me do it...thanks in advance
isaacplus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2014, 07:35 PM   #7
cheemabeema
macrumors newbie