Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrl72

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2008
Hi all

I'm looking for the following features in my app but not exactly sure what controls i should start using:

1. Ability to show a bunch of tiles 5 across and repeated down the page. Each tile has a different image from an array. Page can scroll up.

2. Each tile can be swiped and doing so flips over the tile to reveal some text or a button etc.

3. When tile is touched it will open a modal window.

4. When tile is dragged it can be dropped anywhere on the page but doing so will rearrange the other tiles. When tile is moved off the viewable area it is removed from the page entirely.

Does anyone know the best way to do all the above? I'm thinking a tableview might do it all but no idea if this is the only approach.

Many thanks.

(marc)

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
the woods
[...]
Does anyone know the best way to do all the above? I'm thinking a tableview might do it all but no idea if this is the only approach.
[...]

Generally, there are an unlimited number of approaches. Using a table view sounds good to me. You could also use a scroll view directly, which might be easier in the end (but I didn't understand your idea well enough to be sure).

mrl72

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2008
Thanks for your quick response. Basically think layout like Pulse app except you can't scroll left/right but just up/down and you can drag the images around into a different order. So you think that's all doable using a scrollview with multiple imageviews? I thought of the tableview because I'd have more control of the layout over a scrollview.

Cheers.

(marc)

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
the woods
Thanks for your quick response. Basically think layout like Pulse app except you can't scroll left/right but just up/down and you can drag the images around into a different order. So you think that's all doable using a scrollview with multiple imageviews? I thought of the tableview because I'd have more control of the layout over a scrollview.

Cheers.

I had thought you wanted to do something like a large, scrollable iPhone homescreen. Where if you move one tile, the others rearrange. That would have been easier with a scrollview. Now, apparently, I misunderstood you. If you want something like the pulse news app, a tableview seems more appropriate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.