Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 8, 2011, 10:21 PM   #1
patent10021
macrumors 68000
 
patent10021's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Movies have to be dragged into the iTunes interface for aTV to play them?

Can't we point iTunes to any drive (including NAS AEBS) and have aTV play those files? The only movies aTV will play are movies that are actually dragged into the iTunes interface movie folder?

I thought the whole idea was that you could have an external drive with 1TB of movies and aTV could read from that drive? Right now my aTV is only playing movies that I've actually dragged into the iTunes window movie folder.

I want aTV to automatically recognize movies that are in my HD without having to drag them into iTunes window.

Thanks
patent10021 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2011, 11:26 PM   #2
mstrze
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Send a message via AIM to mstrze
Quote:
Originally Posted by patent10021 View Post
I want aTV to automatically recognize movies that are in my HD without having to drag them into iTunes window.

Thanks
Then you bought the wrong item. ATV was always designed as a way to play your iTunes content on your TV.

Most people that have an ATV use iTunes to organize their media anyway.
mstrze is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2011, 01:02 AM   #3
patent10021
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
patent10021's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrze View Post
Then you bought the wrong item. ATV was always designed as a way to play your iTunes content on your TV.

Most people that have an ATV use iTunes to organize their media anyway.
Thing is iTunes doesn't organize anything. The user has to do it all. Regardless of brand or device, it should be able to automatically recognize compatible media put into a designated iTunes folder. What do you do every time your media library updates? For me that's every hour since I'm always converting files to mp4 format and downloading new music.

I guess that's why people want to use server solutions like Plex. If you have tons of DVDs and CDs you want to convert to mv4 format for aTV then your library is consistently updating and if you have 2-4TB of data it's going to be on external HDs.

Guess there is no choice but to daily drag new files to the iTunes window movie folder.
patent10021 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2011, 02:58 AM   #4
shorn
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Cant you just drag them in without copying them to the iTunes media folder? That way they can stay in their storage location but will still be in your library.
I think you have to hold down option as you drag it in. iTunes will then ready it from the stored location.
shorn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2011, 04:12 AM   #5
newagemac
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Itunes does organize things. Your problem is that you are not adding them to your iTunes library. It can't organize anything it doesn't know about. Some of the conversion and most of the tagging tools have options to add to the iTunes library immediately after done. You could use that or you could set up a folder action yourself.

You'll need to turn off "copy files to iTunes Media Folder" in the iTunes settings if you only want media on your external drive and just let iTunes reference the files from there.
newagemac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2011, 06:40 AM   #6
Omne666
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Just setup the 'automatically add to iTunes' folder on the NAS drive, and when you get a new file/movie/TV Show/Home Movie you want to watch, drop it in there. iTunes will do the rest and it'll be available on the atv.

You can keep your files anywhere. Just tell iTunes where to see them (by dropping them onto iTunes) and boom boom. Job Done.

I let iTunes organize my music, but not my video library. It just knows where they are.

btw...make sure you remove the 'copy to iTunes Music Folder' check box BEFORE dropping the movie onto iTunes. If not, it will copy it to where you probably dont want it.
Omne666 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2011, 06:47 AM   #7
OllyW
Moderator
 
OllyW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The Black Country, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorn View Post
Cant you just drag them in without copying them to the iTunes media folder? That way they can stay in their storage location but will still be in your library.
That's what I do. My music is on a FW external drive and my movies on a NAS drive. iTunes doesn't have a problem dealing with multiple drives.
__________________
Some Apple stuff
Some other stuff
https://soundcloud.com/disco-tramps
OllyW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2011, 11:27 AM   #8
tbayrgs
macrumors 68040
 
tbayrgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tampa, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by newagemac View Post
Itunes does organize things. Your problem is that you are not adding them to your iTunes library. It can't organize anything it doesn't know about. Some of the conversion and most of the tagging tools have options to add to the iTunes library immediately after done. You could use that or you could set up a folder action yourself.

You'll need to turn off "copy files to iTunes Media Folder" in the iTunes settings if you only want media on your external drive and just let iTunes reference the files from there.
Exactly correct. My entire media library (about 1.5 TB) is kept on an external attached to my Mac Mini. After any conversion/tagging, I either have it sent to iTunes or manually add it to my library. With "copy files to iTunes Media Folder" turned off, it just points to the file location on the external.
tbayrgs is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2011, 12:33 PM   #9
TJRiver
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by patent10021 View Post
Thing is iTunes doesn't organize anything. The user has to do it all. Regardless of brand or device, it should be able to automatically recognize compatible media put into a designated iTunes folder. What do you do every time your media library updates? For me that's every hour since I'm always converting files to mp4 format and downloading new music.

I guess that's why people want to use server solutions like Plex. If you have tons of DVDs and CDs you want to convert to mv4 format for aTV then your library is consistently updating and if you have 2-4TB of data it's going to be on external HDs.

Guess there is no choice but to daily drag new files to the iTunes window movie folder.
Yup.

Is it really that difficult?
TJRiver is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2011, 09:52 PM   #10
JonHimself
macrumors 68000
 
JonHimself's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Toronto, Ontario
I understand why people don't want to use iTunes.. well no, I don't understand it, but I certainly am not going to argue with someone who refuses to use it because I put a lot of effort into tagging, organizing and maintaining my iTunes library (now over 2TB) and it works great for me.
For someone willing to put in the time (amount depends on how anal you are about stuff.. for instance, I add BPM, record label, producer and recording location for the albums I rip) iTunes is EXCELLENT at managing your media. Thanks to the time I put into my media when it's loaded into iTunes, I can search for any album that Rick Rubin produced, or any album recorded at Abbey Road and come up with a list. I can search my movies to determine which are Miramax, which are star Pauly Shore and which are directed by Jason Reitman. This might not be something people are interested in, but is just to prove that iTunes CAN organize things really well. Throw in properly tagging albums, separating out TV shows by season, including some high quality artwork and doing your best to make sure the quality of your content is high and you can create an excellent personalized on-demand network.
I LOVE that having an ipad, iphone and appletv means that I can take any song, any tv show and any movie and pretty much watch it whenever and wherever I want... the downside is the time it takes to tag music files, rip cds, convert flac/apple lossless rips to high quality AAC, rip DVDs/blurays, convert videos to h.264, etc etc etc... but it's not things you have to continue doing, just once per file.
__________________
shambo, Changing the definition of "future proof" since April 2009.
JonHimself is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 03:03 AM   #11
Omne666
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
[QUOTE=JonHimself;11694502... but it's not things you have to continue doing, just once per file.[/QUOTE]

LOL...agree with you mate. About it all. More effort at start for so much reward once all done.

But for your once per file??? Make sure you have a copy of everything....somewhere else.! I was lucky recently. Somehow about 10,000 songs went walk about on me. Thank god for backups!!!
Omne666 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 05:22 AM   #12
JonHimself
macrumors 68000
 
JonHimself's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omne666 View Post
But for your once per file??? Make sure you have a copy of everything....somewhere else.! I was lucky recently. Somehow about 10,000 songs went walk about on me. Thank god for backups!!!
Definitely! Everything is backed up somewhere. I used to have a 4TB NAS that mirrored the 2TB of data but now that I'm over that I've been spreading out my back-ups manually across a few drives until I save up for a Drobo or something. I meant that you only have to add the information to the file once
__________________
shambo, Changing the definition of "future proof" since April 2009.
JonHimself is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 05:59 AM   #13
Omne666
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonHimself View Post
Definitely! Everything is backed up somewhere. I used to have a 4TB NAS that mirrored the 2TB of data but now that I'm over that I've been spreading out my back-ups manually across a few drives until I save up for a Drobo or something. I meant that you only have to add the information to the file once
LOL

Mine is a Drobo with 4 x 1.5 drives. Where those files went I have zero idea. I blame my kids!!

And I was running out of space the last month or so. Bought 2 x 2Tb drives for insertion/replaceing a coupel of the 1.5s. Hint: When you change drives that large, the Drobo 'rebuild' takes FOREVER!!! 56hrs (and still happening for replacing just one....KNEW I shouldve done both at the same time!!!!)

Hows the price on 2Tb drives now?? 109$!!!! A year ago I was looking and they were 450$AU!!! Glad I waited.

My prob now is my source files are of such magnitude now...what the hell do I back them up to??? I cannot justify a matching Drobo!! Im thinking of like 6 x 2.5" 1Tb WD passport drives.
Omne666 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 07:25 AM   #14
mstrze
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Send a message via AIM to mstrze
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omne666 View Post
Hows the price on 2Tb drives now?? 109$!!!! A year ago I was looking and they were 450$AU!!! Glad I waited.
Just think what we'll have next year? 3-4 TB drives for nearly 100$?
mstrze is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 01:51 PM   #15
gdeusthewhizkid
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NY|NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by OllyW View Post
That's what I do. My music is on a FW external drive and my movies on a NAS drive. iTunes doesn't have a problem dealing with multiple drives.
how do you make itunes put the movies on a seperate drive like a nas..?
__________________
2.66 Dual Core Mac Pro 1,1
13" 2.26 Ghz c2d MBP
16 gig iPhone 5s
2x TVs | 64 gig iPad3 |Canon 5d mark2 with various lenses
gdeusthewhizkid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 01:54 PM   #16
OllyW
Moderator
 
OllyW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The Black Country, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdeusthewhizkid View Post
how do you make itunes put the movies on a seperate drive like a nas..?
I don't 'make' iTunes put them there. I tell Handbrake to save them there then add them to my iTunes library.
__________________
Some Apple stuff
Some other stuff
https://soundcloud.com/disco-tramps
OllyW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 02:19 PM   #17
Monkeytree
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Sorry if im asking a stupid question, but is there no way to set up itunes with two or more hard discs storing all the media, and get it to automatically monitor both discs and then add media automatically into its library when you save from handbrake etc onto the second disc?

Thanks.
Monkeytree is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 02:24 PM   #18
KeithJenner
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeytree View Post
Sorry if im asking a stupid question, but is there no way to set up itunes with two or more hard discs storing all the media, and get it to automatically monitor both discs and then add media automatically into its library when you save from handbrake etc onto the second disc?

Thanks.
Not that I know of.

Personally, I just put the files where I want them and then add them to iTunes (from the iTunes file menu). Easy enough.
KeithJenner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 05:11 PM   #19
alFR
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeytree View Post
Sorry if im asking a stupid question, but is there no way to set up itunes with two or more hard discs storing all the media, and get it to automatically monitor both discs and then add media automatically into its library when you save from handbrake etc onto the second disc?

Thanks.
You could set up a folder monitored by Hazel and get it to add files to iTunes when they are put into that folder. See mac.jedi's automating ripping guide (sticky thread in this forum) for some more info on Hazel.
alFR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 05:26 PM   #20
rayward
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbayrgs View Post
Exactly correct. My entire media library (about 1.5 TB) is kept on an external attached to my Mac Mini. After any conversion/tagging, I either have it sent to iTunes or manually add it to my library. With "copy files to iTunes Media Folder" turned off, it just points to the file location on the external.
I rip, encode and tag movies on the internal hard drive, then drag and drop onto iTunes - which then copies the file(s) to the iTunes library on my external drive (which is backed up onto a NAS). Once I've verified that the encode is good, I delete the source files.

I do it this way round because I think that encodes will process faster on the internal drive, although this may not be the case.
__________________
27" iMac (2.93GHz i7, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD); 64GB iPhone 5S; 32GB iPad Air; 3 x TV3, 2TB WD "My Book Studio XL" HDD; 4TB WD "ShareSpace" NAS
rayward is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 08:43 PM   #21
tbayrgs
macrumors 68040
 
tbayrgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tampa, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayward View Post
I rip, encode and tag movies on the internal hard drive, then drag and drop onto iTunes - which then copies the file(s) to the iTunes library on my external drive (which is backed up onto a NAS). Once I've verified that the encode is good, I delete the source files.

I do it this way round because I think that encodes will process faster on the internal drive, although this may not be the case.
Hmm, never actually thought about it. Considering my Mac Mini only has 2.0 gHz C2D and I only see about 4-5 fps encoding speed when doing blu-ray rips, I just figured that write speed on my external HDD connected via FW wasn't the limiting factor.
tbayrgs is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2011, 05:01 AM   #22
mahood
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeytree View Post
Sorry if im asking a stupid question, but is there no way to set up itunes with two or more hard discs storing all the media, and get it to automatically monitor both discs and then add media automatically into its library when you save from handbrake etc onto the second disc?

Thanks.
Not exactly, but you can set up a folder action script to watch those folders and then have an applescript to add the files into iTunes directly.

For example: http://dougscripts.com/itunes/itinfo/folderaction01.php

Mark
mahood is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2011, 05:22 AM   #23
KeithJenner
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbayrgs View Post
I just figured that write speed on my external HDD connected via FW wasn't the limiting factor.
I'm pretty sure you are right about that.

I occasionally rip to an external HDD and sometimes to the internal and I can't say I've ever noticed an impact on speed.
KeithJenner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2011, 09:49 AM   #24
rayward
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbayrgs View Post
Hmm, never actually thought about it. Considering my Mac Mini only has 2.0 gHz C2D and I only see about 4-5 fps encoding speed when doing blu-ray rips, I just figured that write speed on my external HDD connected via FW wasn't the limiting factor.
That's entirely possible. I recently got an i7 iMac, so I don't want anything slowing that sucker down!
__________________
27" iMac (2.93GHz i7, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD); 64GB iPhone 5S; 32GB iPad Air; 3 x TV3, 2TB WD "My Book Studio XL" HDD; 4TB WD "ShareSpace" NAS
rayward is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:39 AM   #25
Windlasher
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by newagemac View Post
Itunes does organize things. Your problem is that you are not adding them to your iTunes library. It can't organize anything it doesn't know about. Some of the conversion and most of the tagging tools have options to add to the iTunes library immediately after done. You could use that or you could set up a folder action yourself.

You'll need to turn off "copy files to iTunes Media Folder" in the iTunes settings if you only want media on your external drive and just let iTunes reference the files from there.
Or you could create an alias and just put it in your movies folder. Problem Solved.
Windlasher is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can an iMac G3 play digital iTunes movies (SD)? Zellio PowerPC Macs 15 Jan 26, 2014 02:21 PM
Browsing iTunes movies on ATV 52Midway Apple TV and Home Theater 5 Dec 20, 2013 11:45 PM
Play iTunes movies and TV shows on Galaxy S4 Sven11 Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 19 Sep 27, 2013 07:37 PM
Can I play iTunes through receiver w/ATV AND wirelessly to speaker? mrambler Apple TV and Home Theater 2 Apr 23, 2013 03:10 PM
Play rented iTunes movies on TV. fishmoose Apple TV and Home Theater 2 Jun 16, 2012 09:49 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:29 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC