Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jan 9, 2011, 10:47 AM   #1
bartenderonduty
macrumors member

Is there any way to move "My Kindle Content" folder from Documents folder?

I recently downloaded Amazon's Kindle for my Mac and it automatically installed a content folder in my Documents folder along with my other folders.

Now, I like to keep my Documents folder neatly organized and this My Kindle Content folder kind of messes things up a bit - I really don't like seeing this folder in my Documents folder.

Question: Does anyone know how to move this folder to another location? I've tried to browse the Kindle app, but I haven't found any obvious way to move it. However, I may have overlooked it. Also, I have tried to browse the Forums to see if someone else asked this question already - no luck yet.

Has anyone out there had the same problem? If so, is there a way to move the My Kindle Content folder without messing things up?

Any help would be appreciated.

Old Jan 10, 2011, 04:04 AM   #2
Biolizard
macrumors 6502

I do dislike how many applications assume that your Documents folder is free for them to dump their stuff in.

Can't offer a solution with the Kindle application, but for me, it's not the only app that does this, so I gave up and created a 'Documents' folder inside the main 'Documents' folder, which is where I keep all my stuff, and let the one above run wild much like the home directory.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 06:04 AM   #3
Kyffin
macrumors 6502

Hi, I too have been looking for a solution to this. So far I've not had any joy- and from looking at the Kindle's support pages (screenshot below) can only infer that as the content needs to be hosted on your home drive there isn't the option to move it to an external disk (and I made the stretch that this applies to anywhere other than where Amazon wants to dump its stuff too i.e. my documents).

For how I like to organise my books this would make my file structure so much more consistent- I mean I can import Kindle books to Chikoo and access them from there but it'd be great if I could move the contents folder too.

Still, there is the option to leave feedback (done)- and I hope someone might actually know how to do this without asking Amazon to get their act together. Thanks for asking btw- hopefully the answer is out there!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen-capture.png
Views:	31
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	266913  
Kyffin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 06:22 AM   #4
Winni
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biolizard View Post
I do dislike how many applications assume that your Documents folder is free for them to dump their stuff in.
This is not an assumption of the application: It is by the very definition of the underlying platform(s) the only place where an application should be allowed to store files. The application's program folder is a no-go area, and every other location on the file system should be out of bounds, too. Why? Because storing stuff outside the user's documents folder only creates chaos and security risks.

It took the industry more than two decades to learn this best practice. I sure hope that developers are not going to fall back into the dark ages.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 11:53 AM   #5
viperlight89
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winni View Post
This is not an assumption of the application: It is by the very definition of the underlying platform(s) the only place where an application should be allowed to store files. The application's program folder is a no-go area, and every other location on the file system should be out of bounds, too. Why? Because storing stuff outside the user's documents folder only creates chaos and security risks.
This is completely false. Apple's Human Interface Guidelines (HIG) state explicitly that [an] application should never install files into the userís home directory. In particular, [the application] should never install files into a userís Documents directory or into the /Users/Shared directory. These directories should only be modified by the user.

Why some developers refuse to listen to the rules is beyond me but I immediately uninstall any application that tries to overrun my documents folder.
viperlight89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Tags
amazon kindle, documents, my kindle content