Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kenny Pollock

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 26, 2003
Hollywood, FL
This pisses me off so much!
I use Final Cut Pro on a daily basis, and when I work on other projects I have to set the scratch disk upon every switch of project.

So I set scratch disks for project 1, then finish.. open project 2 and it's scratch disks are set to 1, not to what I set it to for the project. Is there a way to have the scratch disks set per project, so it switches it automatically to the one I set for each project?

This would be a LIVE SAVER. Thanks!

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
I have a similar annoying problem with Final Cut Express. I use an external FW disk as my scratch disk but I have to reset it to that every time I start a new project, because it always seems to default to my PowerBook's native drive.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
johnnyjibbs said:
I have a similar annoying problem with Final Cut Express. I use an external FW disk as my scratch disk but I have to reset it to that every time I start a new project, because it always seems to default to my PowerBook's native drive.

That seems kinda odd. One of my scratch disks is FW drive and as long as I have the drive mounted before I launch FCP FCP always sees the drive.

Lethal

JeDiBoYTJ

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2004
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
thats one feature that Apple hasnt implemented into FCP... maybe the next version will have an option like that, but for now you will just have to continue manually changing the scratch disks. It is a bit annoying if you are working on many projects, but it only takes 5 seconds out of your time to reset it, so its not really a big deal... everytime i load a project I always check the scratch disks anyway.

and Lethal, the reason people have different scratch disks is for organization

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
A scratch disk is just that... a scratch disk. Set aside a drive as a scratch drive from which all projects access.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Have you tried installing FCP to the scratch disk? I don't know if that will work on not, but I've heard of this issue before. Try the Apple boards if that doesn't work, or maybe see if it's mentioned on the support site.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Little of topic, but don't wanna make new thread

Why does FCP use the HD for RAM (scratch disk) when it has normal system RAM? Is there a reason for this? I'm not an expert on how the app uses RAM and such, but I'm really curious cause I may want to get into video editing and motion graphics one day.

Sorry for interrupting, but didn't want to make new thread :) Thanks ahead of time.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
tech4all said:
Why does FCP use the HD for RAM (scratch disk) when it has normal system RAM?
It doesn't. I think he was talking about a secondary drive for the files. You're probably thinking of a RAM disk.

Kenny Pollock

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 26, 2003
Hollywood, FL
I use a different scratch disk on a per-project-basis because my files transport a lot. I'm a high school student, and I transport files from home and back- and to a cable studio and back. Scratch disk on a firewire drive I have is much slower.. and if I take it home to work on 1 project and someone at school needs to work on one they did.. it gets screwed up because the media is offline (I have the drive at home).

I hope Apple adds this feature.. it would be SO useful.. to me and every high school student alive.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
tech4all said:
Why does FCP use the HD for RAM (scratch disk) when it has normal system RAM? Is there a reason for this? I'm not an expert on how the app uses RAM and such, but I'm really curious cause I may want to get into video editing and motion graphics one day.

Sorry for interrupting, but didn't want to make new thread :) Thanks ahead of time.

I don't use FCP but if it's more demanding than Pshop then I guess the scratch files would run into many many Gbs depending on undo levels of various functions as well as other rendering processes...

I use a separate scratch disk for Pshop and the space taken on that occasionally exceeds 6gb so if you're talking video files then you would expect them to be far larger. Ram is also needed by the OS & apps so that would limit its usefulness for temporary files.

Just my guess anyway...

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
tech4all said:

"Scratch Disk" in FCP terms means the drive(s) that you store raw & rendered media to.

Lethal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.