Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google today announced that it has updated the "Google Goggles" feature of its Google Mobile App for iOS devices, bringing two major new features in print ad recognition and automatic Sudoku solving.

Print ad recognition allows users to simply snap pictures of print ads in major U.S. magazines and newspapers to retrieve web search results about the products and brands featured in the ads.
We're excited to take another step in our vision of connecting offline media to online media. The next time you're flipping through the pages of your favorite magazine, try taking a picture of an ad with Goggles. Goggles will recognize print ad and return web search results about the product or brand. This new feature of Goggles is enabled for print ads appearing in major U.S. magazines and newspapers from August 2010 onwards.
Google Goggles' Sudoku solver allows users to take photos of printed Sudoku puzzles and and have them automatically solved, useful for helping users check their work if they don't have solutions handy.

Article Link: 'Google Goggles' Updated With Print Ad Recognition, Sudoku Solving

shartypants

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
I think she still could have beat him, he didn't take the time to write in the answer, he just showed her the phone. :)

rkw0211

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2010
Delaware
I guess it's there for the "cool" factor, but your phone being able to solve Soduko puzzles kinda defeats the purpose, no?

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
I guess it's there for the "cool" factor, but your phone being able to solve Soduko puzzles kinda defeats the purpose, no?
Kinda, but it's a great way to check your puzzles for accuracy. Some newspapers don't show the answer until the following day.

coder12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
Let me know when they figure out a way to get night vision in there too ;)

tatonka

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2009
maybe if we keep skynet busy with solving our Sudokus it will forget about all the world domination plans ..

T.

Pomeless

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2010
Neat.

Another step towards Skynet. :scared face:

The Skynet Funding Bill is passed. The system goes on-line August 4th, 1997. Human decisions are removed from strategic defense. Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. In a panic, they try to pull the plug.

huntercr

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2006
My thought exactly.

Nerds, they have knowledge, but no wisdom. :(

This sums up exactly why I hate google. They are made up of two groups of people... there's the evil top of the company that is guiding millions of people into selling their souls to the world under the banner of analytics and then there's the research group that is made up of thousands of doe-eyed innocent nerds who have no idea what they're doing to society.

Last edited:

huntercr

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2006
I also have to laugh at how smug google researchers are when they do stuff like this, and then the guys who wrote that iPhone visual language translation program ( even with its flaws ) come and show them all up.

I would have expected a company with literally thousands of researchers who go around wearing tshorts about how cool they are and how smart they are to be the ones who thought of this. funny how they didn't.

WoWG

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2011
I love solving puzzles on my own, I don't need anything to do it for me damnit!

bstpierre

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2008
Isn't it easy to check your work by maling sure each column, row and sub-square has one of each number 1 through 9?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.