Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EasyB

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2005
I have about 3 or 4 40gb drives and a few 20gb drives laying around. Besides buying an enclosure for each of them, is there any way to hook them all up together to get 100+gig out of a single drive letter? Like a raid setup. I have searched, but found nothing for 2.5 inch drives.

Thanks

booksacool1

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2004
Australia
I've hooked up 3 ipods in raid using 2xfirewire and USB 2. It seems software raid will work on any combination of drives. Either you could get enclusures for the drives, or use some mounting kit to install the drives internally, although you will probably need an ata133 pci adapter for all the drives. I would put one drive in a USB2 enclusier as a portable drive and install the others internally, probably using one or two raid cards if your looking for speed.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
EasyB said:
I have about 3 or 4 40gb drives and a few 20gb drives laying around. Besides buying an enclosure for each of them, is there any way to hook them all up together to get 100+gig out of a single drive letter? Like a raid setup. I have searched, but found nothing for 2.5 inch drives.

Thanks

sell a 40GB drive to me and use the money to buy 250GB HD?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.