Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TorontoLRT

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 4, 2010
Toronto, Duh!
My iPod Rouch has the worst sound quality I've ever heard through headphones. It was fine when I bought it, but suddenly its vocals are a distorted mess and the volume is extremely low. I thought it was a problem with my headphones, so I bought a new pair. The sound was still terrible. I tried the same music on my old 4G Nano, and it worked fine. I think the problem is with my iPod touch's headphone jack, because music played through the built in speakers is fine. I also noticed a disconcerting grinding sound when I plugged in headphones most recently. What is wrong with it, and will it be covered by warranty? I'm very angry about this. :mad:

LeighAnna Jones

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2010
Can you look inside and see if there is anything in there? Like sand or something? Like the guy above me said; dust or lint?

I don't know what would cause the grinding noise, though. Like when you are wearing the headphones and plugging them in do you hear it, or can you hear it when you are not wearing the headphones?

How far from the apple store do you live? You might want to see the genius bar if you're that worried.

TorontoLRT

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 4, 2010
Toronto, Duh!
I looked, and I think there is something in the jack, like a small pale brown particle of sand or dust. I have no idea how to get it out, though.

TorontoLRT

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 4, 2010
Toronto, Duh!
Sorry for the bump: I went to the Genius Bar and they told me it was lint in the headphone jack, and to use a paperclip. It worked!

Kristalghost

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2009
Thank you!

Hey guys I just want to say THANK YOU! I've had audio problems twice now with my device and last time is send it to apple and got it back while they said they didn't find anything. the problem was solved so I was happy. Last week I got the same problem again and thanks to you guys its solved!!!!! I didn't have to sent my ipod back just because of some dirt. I tried everything except that of course xD

So THANKS AGAIN! you guys saved me allot of trouble!

godfrey11

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2012
Note about the audio jack-don't leave your earbuds plugged in with your iPod in your pocket. They can bend the pins in the jack, causing it to not work. I had this happen, and it wasn't a fun experience.

theluckyistduck

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2012
Annoyed

I tried the thing with the paper clip and twisty tie and it did not work and I used a flash light to look in and there was nothing there. I did keep my headphones plugged in while it was in my pocket so it might just be that I twisted the pins in the jacks like you suggested. Is there anything else I can try. I have only had it for 7 months does the warranty cover it getting fixed or replaced???? Thanks.

Robbie44

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2012
Lots of lint

Luckyistduck.. try again with a thicker needle but do it carefully. I couldn't get anything out with a paperclip but I used a needle (more point) and was able to dig out lint in total of about the size of a pea! I couldn't believe that much was stuck in there.
I also carefully scraped side to side in the power jack (rectangle next to headphone jack) and got some lint/dirt out of there too. I haven't tested this yet but due to the amount I got out of there I think it will be successful.

Good tip so far!:D

temoring

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2012
Distorted Sound Fix

I had the fuzzy sound problem too, however, after much worry....I finally figured it out. Nope, not the headphones, nope, not the jack either. It was just what I thought it was. The sound had been sped up. I was listening to an audio book, it was kinda hard to tell at first, but although i wasnt familiar with the narrator voice, something didn't seem quite right. swipe the screen you are in to the right. You will see a screen pop up on top that has a circular arrow in the middle and a number to the right. Hit the number unil it goes down to "1". This is a normal setting and the sound should now be okay.

Hope this helped!

XxThe.ANMLxX

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2013
Umm yeah i have the same problem but backwards my internal speaker is distorted but headphones work great

nyawira

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2017
Hi. I have the same problem on my 6s. Can I use a cotton bud? Is it ok to dub methylated spirit if I use a cotton bud?

Reactions: iCYL
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.