Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cubixcrayfish

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2004
I ordered .Mac with my Comp, got here today. Now that I got it I am not sure

Why is there so little storage space, GMail gives me a gig for free, Is apple behind in the times, or is there some other reason.

Anyone who uses .Mac really like it? It looks cool, but then again it seems like alot of $$, I could get my own webspace for $10 a month, with more storage space hmm

CCF

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
cubixcrayfish said:
I ordered .Mac with my Comp, got here today. Now that I got it I am not sure

Why is there so little storage space, GMail gives me a gig for free, Is apple behind in the times, or is there some other reason.

Anyone who uses .Mac really like it? It looks cool, but then again it seems like alot of $$, I could get my own webspace for $10 a month, with more storage space hmm

CCF

gmail is for mail storage. .Mac gives you webspace, mail storage and website creation functions

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says....there have been tons of threads here in regards to "is .mac worth it" - try searching some out and reading peoples varying opinions.

Basically in my opinion, if you have more than 1 mac and use the isync feature along with the mail and web space then it really is worth it for the simplicity of it all. If you just want mail and web space then yopu'll probably get a better deal elsewhere.

All this could change however with the rumoured enhancements 10.4 will bring us.....oh yeah!

cubixcrayfish

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2004
When are the rumored 10.4 coming out?

I am just starting in the Mac world, sort of confusing

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
cubixcrayfish said:
When are the rumored 10.4 coming out?
Duff-Man says....10.4 (also known as "Tiger") will be out - according to Apple - "in the first half of 2005." So, between now and the end of June, probably closer to the June timeframe.....oh yeah!

Smileyguy

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2004
There's a 60 day free trial on .Mac which I've tried. I really like it. I find the idisk really handy (though connecting to it from a PC can be frustrating) and the email is great.

By the way, are there any other email accounts online apart from .Mac that I can use with Mail? Most don't seem to work.

hkriffraff

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2003
iDisk is great, but the rest of the .Mac features are of little use or value. These days, almost everyone has established a permanent email address, and i can't see why someone would prefer .Mac email over gmail even if they could be convinced to adopt a new address.

Apple should offer a much-cheaper, iDisk/Backup-only option, especially now that they're targeting the mass market.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Smileyguy said:
There's a 60 day free trial on .Mac which I've tried. I really like it. I find the idisk really handy (though connecting to it from a PC can be frustrating) and the email is great.

By the way, are there any other email accounts online apart from .Mac that I can use with Mail? Most don't seem to work.
Any email provider that supports POP or IMAP will work with Mail.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
edesignuk said:
Really. I, too, haven't had any problems getting an email account to work with mail. Sounds like cockpit error.

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
I'm on my 2nd year with .mac ... it rules if you're a lot on the way and have more than 1 mac, tho. the .mac mail address rules ;) .
the webspace is for family reasons, the iDisk for small backups and sharing between the macs... I do like .mac

Smileyguy

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2004
edesignuk said:

Thanks Keira, can I call you Keira? :p I suspect it's not who you really are, but hey, you never know...

Would you mind explaining what POP and IMAP mean? I haven't got a clue! :rolleyes:

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
Smileyguy said:
Thanks Keira, can I call you Keira? :p I suspect it's not who you really are, but hey, you never know...

Would you mind explaining what POP and IMAP mean? I haven't got a clue! :rolleyes:
They are two different client-side email protocols. POP3, the older protocol, stores email on your computer when you check for mail; your email only stays on the mail server temporarily. IMAP, the newer protocol, stores all you email on the email server, not on your computer, although you may have a local copy, as well. POP sucks if you access your email from multiple computers, while IMAP is great for this scenario. .Mac uses IMAP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.