Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Jan 11, 2011, 12:55 PM   #1
imac abuser
macrumors 6502a

Background apps how to stop them?

Hello,
I want to know if there is a way that I can stop apps from running in the background (of my choice). I know how to hit the home key and delete them that way, but I've become annoyed that so many things are open. Example I don't need The Weather Channel eating memory in the background.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks
Chris
Old Jan 11, 2011, 01:03 PM   #2
Carniphage
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by imac abuser View Post
Hello,
I want to know if there is a way that I can stop apps from running in the background (of my choice). I know how to hit the home key and delete them that way, but I've become annoyed that so many things are open. Example I don't need The Weather Channel eating memory in the background.
If something in foreground asks for the memory. The background apps are automatically closed.

There's really no need for users to play housemaid.

C.
Carniphage is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2011, 01:04 PM   #3
imac abuser
macrumors 6502a

That's why I'm asking I saw that message, but it told me to restart, or close some of that or something. I don't have the exact message. I do regular restarts, but am just wondering.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 01:08 PM   #4
Carniphage
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by imac abuser View Post
That's why I'm asking I saw that message, but it told me to restart, or close some of that or something. I don't have the exact message. I do regular restarts, but am just wondering.
Background apps don't have the power to hold on to memory. The system can kick them out at any time with little or no notice. The system always favours the foreground application.

Apple wanted a solution that does not require any user intervention.

If you *really* want to force a background app to close. You can force close it by pressing and holding in the recent apps tray - and then tapping the red close badge. But I can't think of any reason why you'd need to do that.

C.
Carniphage is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2011, 01:44 PM   #5
Phil A.
macrumors 68040

The only time I ever bother with closing apps from the switcher bar is CoPilot GPS because it doesn't currently have a way of quitting it completely within the program and it continues running in the background using the GPS. Personally, I think this is simply bad application design and will hopefully be fixed in a future release
Old Jan 11, 2011, 02:03 PM   #6
Xian Zhu Xuande
macrumors 6502a

As others have alluded, 'multitasking' in iOS does not work in such a way that would warrant closing apps to manage memory. The OS will manage them for you. The only time you should bother (press the home button twice in quick succession) is to close an app which is misbehaving, or to stop an app which is performing a background task, such as Tom Tom (for those too lazy to tell it, deliberately, to clear the route it is managing).
Old Jan 11, 2011, 04:51 PM   #7
benji888
macrumors 6502a

well, on my iPad I do notice it is sometimes slower, I think some apps do not stop using the CPU and therefore CAN slow things for the foreground app, when the foreground app does not need to use all the memory and therefore does not close the background processes...this is my thinking, and, yes, I did read the above, however, I think some apps continue to run in the background in these instances. —there should be a way to just hit something and either close all background apps, or delete all apps from the multitasking bar!!
benji888 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting