Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DubMcG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
My iphone 4 can connect to my mytouch 4g's hotspot connection just fine but cannot FIND my home network along with other home/public networks.

when i turn on my mytouch 4g's hotspot the iphone connects to it automatically (remembers the password etc) and browses the web, app store etc with no problems.

BUT, it will not find my home wifi. it is not hidden. i have typed my home networks name in and entered the password and the iphone still says it cannot find the network. my mytouch and macbook along with every other device in my house have no problems.

why would the iphone find my mytouch wifi hotspot and not home network?

would replacing the wifi antenna be a solution? any ideas?

(i've rest iphone's network settings)

mastinu

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2013
Bump

I have this exact same problem. I have a new iphone 4. It won't even set up without connecting to a wifi network first. My nieghbors routers pop up but mine does not. My other devices in the house including my other phone connects to it but not this iphone.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
Is your home network 5 GHz? The iPhone 4 doesn't support 5 GHz. Also, are you broadcasting your SSID or is your network hidden? Is your network encrypted in a method that the iPhone 4 supports? (May be a dumb question but I don't have a list in front of me). And finally, are you broadcasting 802.11 a or b or g or n or a combo? The iPhone supports b/g/n (2.4 GHz).

Typically to troubleshoot an issue like this, you ensure that your wifi is broadcasting an SSID with no encryption using the standard you know your phone supports. Obviously don't leave the encryption turned off after you're done with your test and don't toss any passwords across wifi with the encryption turned off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.