Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Old Jan 11, 2011, 05:17 PM   #1
vinum0908
macrumors newbie

What case is best for putting iPad in a backpack?

I've been searching forever, but most reviewers comment on how a case feels when holding the iPad in your hand or around the house...

I'm a student and plan on putting my iPad in a backpack most of the time with a few other books. I ordered a hard back shell for it and a screen protector-- will this be enough?

I really want to avoid the cases with folding covers since I find them unwieldy and annoying, but I don't want to mega-scratch my iPad's screen or anything.

Tips from fellow backpack stuffers?
vinum0908 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2011, 06:40 PM   #2
filmbuff
macrumors 6502a

I got a neoprene sleeve and stuck a piece of cardboard in it to protect my screen. The adhesive screen protectors only keep it from getting scratched, not cracked or crushed.
filmbuff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2011, 09:22 PM   #3
T-Stex
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmbuff View Post
I got a neoprene sleeve and stuck a piece of cardboard in it to protect my screen. The adhesive screen protectors only keep it from getting scratched, not cracked or crushed.
I think the sleeves from Booq (booqbags.com) have a hard side to protect the screen.

Anyway, I'd probably go with a sleeve if I were going to carry my iPad in a backpack regularly.
T-Stex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2011, 07:55 AM   #4
TheCheapGeek
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Stex View Post
I think the sleeves from Booq (booqbags.com) have a hard side to protect the screen.

Anyway, I'd probably go with a sleeve if I were going to carry my iPad in a backpack regularly.
This is the case I use and it is a great backpack case. Soft neoprene to prevent scratches on the back and a hard plastic sheet under neoprene to protect the screen. Check out my review video here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYDyiPem7ps
Old Jan 13, 2011, 10:57 AM   #5
steveknett
macrumors newbie

I got this

http://www.bellacases.com/Apple-iPad...eve-Black.html
steveknett is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:53 AM   #6
NeuralControl
macrumors 6502a

While I don't have an iPad yet, I'll most likely purchase the second generation soon after it comes out.

I've thought about this issue a lot. I have an Incase sleeve and backpack that I use with my MBP everyday. For over two and a half years I haven't had any issues with protecting the notebook.

I'm really curious how people carry their iPads around campus or on a commute to work. I'm not worried about the aluminum back, but cracking the glass screen seems possible in a backpack with books, even if the iPad is in a sleeve and it's own separate compartment. I hope I am wrong about this, though.
NeuralControl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:55 AM   #7
TheShinyMac
macrumors 6502a

I use the apple case, while slidding it into my laptop compartment in my computer. it works flawlessly
Old Jan 13, 2011, 12:02 PM   #8
NeuralControl
macrumors 6502a

Do you have textbooks in your bag as well?
Old Jan 13, 2011, 12:03 PM   #9
TheShinyMac
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeuralControl View Post
Do you have textbooks in your bag as well?
On a heavy homework day, Id say 10 pounds worth of books.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 12:06 PM   #10
NeuralControl
macrumors 6502a

That's actually really reassuring that the Apple case can protect the screen in that scenario. Thanks for the heads up.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 07:28 AM   #11
Absrnd
macrumors member

I bought a cheap neoprene sleeve, and had a 3mm aluminium plate made in the size of the ipad, for a few bucks.
covered the alu with sticky back felt, and put it inside the sleeve, and sits against the iPad screen.

I can now almost sit on my ipad sleeve this thing is strong
Absrnd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2011, 07:49 AM   #12
tek210
macrumors regular

This is the one I was planning on picking up when the iPad 2 comes out.

http://www.amazon.com/Scratch-Defense-Neoprene-Sleeve-Apple/dp/B0036RLVUM/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1I50TXK2UAK5M&colid=1XQ1S0QS2QMQ2
tek210 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2011, 10:59 PM   #13
gnychis
macrumors 6502

both my girlfriend and i use the apple case for our ipads in our backpack, and neither of us have had a problem.
gnychis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2011, 01:57 AM   #14
smetvid
macrumors 6502

I bought a netbook bag for my iPad. It has a lot of padding and was $15.00. I have seen iPad cases almost copy the same case for $50.00. Seriously look at netbook cases and save some money. They are designed for a heavier product so they are more robust.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 12:32 PM   #15
broboore
macrumors regular

This is the one I use. Works great.

http://www.hardcandycases.com/ipad-bubblesleeve.html
broboore is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories