Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

karleaglemac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2007
Hey all, I just wanted to share a review on my new Jack Back that I just received. After doing a ton of research on wooden back replacements for my iPhone 4, I decided to go with Jack Backs (http://www.jackbacks.com/) and I’m extremely glad I did. Jack Backs is apparently a one-man operation headed up by an innovative guy named Adam in Ohio. He’s definitely talented at what he’s doing and it shows in the craftsmanship of this product. Anyway, here is a rundown.

Jack Backs come in a Walnut, Cherry, Mahogany, and Maple. I decided to get mine in Mahogany because I liked the color a lot. Unlike stickers or skins, this is actually wood back replacement for you iPhone 4. I’ve checked out wooden (bamboo) cases and I just didn’t like the way they made my phone look and feel bigger than what it was designed to be.

The back fits a little tighter than what I expected (which is obviously much better than fitting loose) and it took a while to slide it back into place. But once it clicked in, it was extremely secure.

The feel, well it feels like… real wood. It takes a little while to get used to because it is a different feel than glass, but the wood grain really adds to the feel of the phone. The original glass on the iP4 is nice, but there is something about the feeling of real wood grain, like on a steering wheel, or door handle. In my opinion, it definitely improves the user experience.

All in all, I love this product. I really like the aspect of taking this organic material and blending it with the metal and glass of this piece of technology. The customer service was excellent. Each time I hit Adam with emails of questions (adam@jackbacks.com), he was quick about getting back to me. Additionally, the quality of the product is top notch and something that will be hard to find anywhere else. And of course, it’s unique in a way that is still stylish and aesthetically pleasing.

Plain Jack Backs are being sold for $89 (which is what you will find at Material 6), and for $10 more you can get a custom laser engraving (which I don’t think you can find anywhere for a wood back replacement). It’s not cheap, but like I said before, it’s something that is unique and that you’ll want to show off, and of course will last the lifetime of you iPhone 4 as well. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Anyway, enough with the words, here is some eye candy.

5345244180_fa5edf1f45_b.jpg

5345244440_4dd78c9001_b.jpg

5344633589_18925a668d_b.jpg

5344633879_2b7573dd0c_b.jpg

5345245422_ddc15d8413_b.jpg

5345245712_00f4d05a86_b.jpg

Metal screw holes!

5345247400_981d8235c9_b.jpg

Comparison next to OEM glass back

5344645909_f8e2d58577_b.jpg

5344646355_cd5b9d26d2_b.jpg

5344647089_35d716eaf2_b.jpg

5345259304_af4d9bdb50_b.jpg

Not that you would, but you could ;)

wmflyfisher

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2010
Looks pretty dang good! Do you think the edges would chip over time?? Is there any type of warranty? I really wouldn't mind giving one of these a shot.

jp93

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
Considering that each one is hand made and takes 3-5 days to make, in my opinion, $89 is a pretty fair price lol.

barkingDog

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2010
... <snip> ... Anyway, enough with the words, here is some eye candy.

Awesome. Simply.

Like your choice of wood, too. Thanks for the pix. I can't justify the money for one right now, but if I could... I wood. (Yeah, I went there.)

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
I received my custom Jack Backs iPhone 4 wooden backplate yesterday, and have had it installed over the past two days to see how I’d like it. I’ve been wanting to try out a different backplate for my iPhone, so I decided to give this one a try.

Unboxing:

The packaging is basic but well done, with the wooden backplate, instruction sheet, and two screwdrivers included in the box (one screwdriver for each type of screw you may encounter on the iPhone 4, the standard #00 Phillips head, and the pentalobe headed screws). When buying your Jack Back, you have your choice of 4 wood types, and also for an additional $10 you can have a custom engraving done on the back). I went with the mahogany wood, and to get an example of the quality of the custom engraving, I opted for that option as well (as you will see in the pics). I know some (ok, maybe most) of you are going to wonder why I have a gigantic bee on the back of my phone, but it’s a non-copyrighted version of my colleges (Georgia Tech) mascot. Jack Backs won’t engrave copyrighted images, so we went with this alternative version instead of the “official” mascot image. Again, if a giant bee isn’t your thing, just use it as a measure of the quality of the engraving.

Quality of fit/first impressions:

The feel of the wood is fantastic. The finish of the wood is smooth and consistent, with no splotchy (color) or rough (feel) areas to be found. This mahogany has a nice deep color, with the natural grain of the wood showing. The construction of the back is virtually identical to the OEM glass backplate (see the pics below), with the same style black bezel, chrome ring around the camera lens, and a custom camera flash diffuser to…well…diffuse the flash’s light when in use. I’ve noticed no issues with this custom diffuser when taking low light photos, so it functions pretty much identical to the stock diffuser. Installing the back is a breeze. Just remove the two screws on either side of the dock connector, slide the stock glass plate up about a quarter of an inch, remove it, and installation of the Jack Back is the reverse. The screw holes line up dead on, and this whole process should seriously take no longer than 5 minutes at worst. It’s a very easy swap out. Once on the phone, there is no wiggle or movement, and it feels as solid as the original back. There is ever so slight of a thickness increase from the original glass backplate…it’s about the thickness of the original back with a screen protector on it, but nothing that I can see making any case incompatible with the back. Then again, if you’re buying a wooden back, you’re probably not going to want to put it in a case anyway. On that note, it does function great with “bumper” style cases, and looks especially good with black colored bumpers. I’ve shown pics of the back with both the Scosche bandEDGE (Apple Bumper clone), and my favorite bumper style case, the e13ctron s4 aluminum/plastic hybrid.

As far as feel and look on the phone…I’m pleasantly surprised! I was VERY hesitant about a wooden back on my phone, but I really like it. The wood adds a very slight “soft touch” feel to it (think rubber soft touch finish found on some cases, but much less pronounced), and gives the device an overall warmth when holding it…it’s now not just a cold glass slab. The engraving (if you choose this option) is very high quality, fairly deep into the wood, yet has smooth edges, and I see no chance of it wearing or rubbing off over time. I honestly never thought I’d like something like this, but I’m really thinking I’m going to keep it on my phone. I know this product won’t appeal to everyone, but for those that like the look of wood, this is definitely a quality product to try. Again, the "bee" is a custom image that I had engraved, and I know it's not for everyone! :D

click on any picture to enlarge:

dsc0114sh.jpg

dsc0115rm.jpg

dsc0116py.jpg

dsc0117g.jpg

dsc0118h.jpg

dsc0119b.jpg

dsc0120g.jpg

dsc0121s.jpg

With Scosche bandEDGE (similar to Apple Bumper):

dsc0122fw.jpg

With e13ctron s4 hybrid aluminum case:

dsc01241ta.jpg

karleaglemac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2007
Thanks for sharing the great review, Chris!

I've had my Jack Back on since the day it arrived in the mail about two weeks ago (when I started this thread). Honestly, I love it. I don't even use a bumper, but WOW it looks so good with that black e13tron and Scosche band!

Austin, I'm not sure if you were joking or not about the splinters, but thanks to the smooth sanding and finish of this product, there is no chance. I'm very happy with the quality of this back.

nickraise

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2011
thanks for sharing a very useful information. this will help each and every member of the site.

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
Chris, would it fit in the proof cliq case ? Or will the "slightly raised edge" rule that out ? thanks :)

I don't have a Cliq case yet to try, as I've decided to wait for the revised Cliq to come out. But at first guess I'd say yes, as the increased thickness isn't much at all. Like I said, it's no thicker than the stock glass back with something like a vinyl or clear screen protector on it, maybe less. Again, I don't know the clearance of that case yet, but if it works as I've read, and the case back doesn't even touch the glass to start with, then I'd say you'd be ok. But...why on earth would you want to put a full-backed case on this pretty backplate? That's like riding around with a car cover on your car to keep the finish clean. :D:D

indyzzzz

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2010
Thanks Chris and wiesjt. i agree, the back is too nice to be covered, but I would only do it when I want to protect it from getting dirty ;). Andi I like the design/features of the cliq case, just waiting till they sort out the flash issue, then Im in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.