Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Jan 12, 2011, 01:07 AM   #1
AMDGAMER
macrumors 6502

Apple trade program- macbook pro

I am thinking of doing the Apple trade in program and getting cash for my Macbook Pro. Its on the apple website. They send a box for it and ship it free back to them, then they cut you an apple gift card.

1) Has anyone done this via apples site? (please no 'i can get more on ebay' comments)

2) Having done taxes and other financial info on the laptop for a few years how can I fully erase the system so that its as secure as possible? Just secure erase the HD? What else?

Thanks!!
AMDGAMER is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2011, 01:16 AM   #2
rubberwheels
macrumors member

How much would they give you for it though?
rubberwheels is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2011, 01:18 AM   #3
AMDGAMER
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberwheels View Post
How much would they give you for it though?
I came up with 370 bucks for a 2008 pre-unibody....not bad for no working battery)

Last edited by AMDGAMER; Jan 12, 2011 at 01:24 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 01:43 AM   #4
Muscle Master
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDGAMER View Post
I came up with 370 bucks for a 2008 pre-unibody....not bad for no working battery)
I was quoted 591 for mines.. think I won't mind upgrading to a newer model next year
Old Jan 12, 2011, 02:24 AM   #5
alust2013
macrumors 68040

You'd probably get a good bit more if you sold it on ebay or craigslist, etc. I wouldn't sell it back to apple, they will rip you off
Old Jan 12, 2011, 07:16 AM   #6
jlc1978
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by alust2013 View Post
You'd probably get a good bit more if you sold it on ebay or craigslist, etc. I wouldn't sell it back to apple, they will rip you off
With Apple, you're trading convenience for dollars, so I wouldn't call Apple's deal a rip-off.. You don't have to put up with the hassles of listing, dealing with potential buyers and the occasional scammer, and waiting for it to sell. In the end, you have to decide how much hassle is worth the extra dollars.

They traded an old Carr for a new hot Rod that turned out to be a junker, but they couldn't get one with les Miles.
jlc1978 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2011, 07:45 AM   #7
deeddawg
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlc1978 View Post
With Apple, you're trading convenience for dollars, so I wouldn't call Apple's deal a rip-off.. You don't have to put up with the hassles of listing, dealing with potential buyers and the occasional scammer, and waiting for it to sell. In the end, you have to decide how much hassle is worth the extra dollars.
Excellent point. Apple is not a charity; anything they take as trade-in has to go somewhere, either to a used computer wholesaler or through their refurb process; and the program has to at least break even against the costs they incur if not make a little money. So Apple is simply not going to give you as much as you could likely get selling it yourself.

This situation isn't much different from trading in a used car to a dealer vs selling it yourself. Convenience vs. value. Look around ebay and CL to see what your system might fetch if you sold it yourself and decide if the price difference is worth your time and effort.
deeddawg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2011, 08:15 AM   #8
pricej636
macrumors 6502

The computer doesn't even go to Apple, it goes to a company called PowerOn. They just partner with Apple to provide the program.
pricej636 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2011, 12:01 PM   #9
AMDGAMER
macrumors 6502

The ease of it isn't bad at all. Free packaging/shipping, they send you an apple gift card in a couple weeks. They also can recycle my old broken laptop. I can take the 400 bucks or so and buy a 27 cinema with it. Not a bad deal.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 12:15 PM   #10
alt
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to alt Send a message via Yahoo to alt
Most likely can sell it for more on ebay. They hold their value well...only reason I even own macbooks.
alt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2011, 02:13 PM   #11
riggatoney
macrumors newbie

can someone link me?

where is it located on the apple page for the tradein/buy-back program? I am trying to see how much I canm get for my original macbook.
riggatoney is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2011, 02:22 PM   #12
raep
macrumors member

Put the OSX disc in your Mac. (The one that came with your mac or if you upgraded to a newer version put that one in.) Then turn off your mac and turn it on while holding the "c" key on your keyboard from there do a erase install of the OS and that will get rid of everything on your drive.
raep is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2011, 02:29 PM   #13
milbournosphere
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggatoney View Post
where is it located on the apple page for the tradein/buy-back program? I am trying to see how much I [can] get for my original macbook.
Apple - Recycling Program
milbournosphere is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2011, 02:45 PM   #14
raymondthimmes
macrumors member

Ok here's a question.

Would it be foolhearty to buy the laptop I need now (15" i5 refurb) with the intent that upon finishing my semester and graduating in May I will recycle it for approx $1000 quote from apple. I'm assuming the price would be less by then with a SB revision but still, it'd give me the machine I need now and allow me a good discount on a new one 6 or so months from now?

Am I crazy? Yes, probably...
iPhone 4 at&t
raymondthimmes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2011, 02:50 PM   #15
trigonometry
macrumors 6502

I've been thinking about a 13" MBA so I wanted to see what I would get. $591 for my 2010 13" MBP in excellent condition with all accessories, discs, etc. I'd rather put it up in CL.
trigonometry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2011, 04:52 PM   #16
AMDGAMER
macrumors 6502

I'd take the no hassle gift card and put it towards the 27 cinema.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 05:17 PM   #17
WardC
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to WardC
I sold my 2007-model Santa Rosa 2.4GHz 15" MacBook Pro on eBay last October 2010 for $810.00. So maybe that gives you an idea of what Apple is really doing to you with this, given the real value of your laptop and what the REAL market value is, Apple is only giving you about 40% of market value. It's your choice. I think it's a complete jip, I would never do the trade-in from Apple, they rip off royally. They barely give you squat for machine which is normally worth over twice as much as they quote you for it.
Thinking about Apple...
WardC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2011, 06:50 PM   #18
73CortinaV8
macrumors regular

how much could I get for a MacIntosh 512 ?
Old Jan 12, 2011, 11:03 PM   #19
elhungarian
macrumors regular

try gazelle.com/

then go to twit.tv and listen to one of their podcasts so your eligible for their bonus code
Old Jan 12, 2011, 11:50 PM   #20
leftywamumonkey
macrumors 6502a

www.mac2sell.com is a pretty good site to see what price one should sell their Mac.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 12:56 AM   #21
iLog.Genius
macrumors 68040

I guess if you really want to get rid of your computer and want an Apple Gift Card (seriously? I want cash damn it! ) the recycling program is pretty convenient but you could seriously get much more if you were to publicly sell it.

Went to get an estimate for my MacBook Pro and it's $500 less (could be more) than what I could get for it. If it were $100 or so difference, ok I could see it being useful but $500+ is a lot of money and in cash too, not an Apple gift card. I'd probably use the program for an iPod though, for some reason, they don't hold resale value in my area.
iLog.Genius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 01:59 AM   #22
Helmutek
macrumors newbie

I will never use PowerON for trade-in

I had a horrible experience with PowerON and I think it is nothing but a rip off... to be honest I'm surprised Apple is associated with them.

I wanted to trade in my girlfriends 1.5 year old white macbook for which PowerON initially quoted $255 +/- we were fine with it because we wanted to use the gift card towards a purchase of the 11" MBA for her and since it had some swirls and scuff marks on the outer casing we were really quite ok with the price they offered. I didn't want to deal with "no-shows" on craigslist or deal with eBay and with the holidays around the corner it was a perfect solution.

We sent in the macbook in PowerON box, the macbook had swirls, some scuffs, but overall the machine was in really really good condition. It had a 3 month old power adapter and battery given to us by apple for free (adapter shorted so they replaced battery and the adapter no charge), we upgraded the laptop to 4GB RAM, and I installed a 640GB hard drive I bought on newegg, on top of that it still had valid apple care!!

We received an email from PowerON with their inspection results and I was floored. They re-quoted us for a total of $68 US stating that the computer has a non working touch-pad, and that there were stuck pixels all over the screen, they also mentioned that the computer had excessive wear.

So I asked for the computer back, because I would never accept $68 for a working computer. When the computer returned the touch-pad was working fine, I didn't see any dead pixels, all the swirls and scuff marks from the outside of the case were gone YAY! I guess they thought we'd accept their offer and cleaned it with something that removed the swirls/scuffs. I then looked around on ebay and CL and decided to sell on CL for $575, after negotiating with a first potential buyer I sold the laptop for $525 and I even gave the guy a $40 incase pouch that was never used (GF never took her computer anywhere). We purchased the "ultimate" 11" the same day!

My long story and 2 cents... do a little work, and get what your laptop is worth and forget PowerON.
Helmutek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2011, 01:22 AM   #23
rubberwheels
macrumors member

Don't use ebay cause their fees are ridiculous. they take 50 from your sale and paypal takes a chunk too!
rubberwheels is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2011, 10:39 AM   #24
deeddawg
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberwheels View Post
Don't use ebay cause their fees are ridiculous. they take 50 from your sale and paypal takes a chunk too!
That's a bit strong; it'd be silly to eliminate consideration of a method of selling used stuff just because of an emotional reaction.

Your underlying point is valid though; when considering ebay, be sure to fully understand the fees involved with both ebay and with paypal. What matters is your net cash after fees, so factor that against what you see comparable sales completing as well as any buy-it-now or reserve-price you set when using ebay. That's the smart way to use ebay, rather than just avoiding it because "the fees are too high".

Consider also that what people ask for on Craigslist is often not what they end up selling for -- in my experience there's usually some degree of negotiation anticipated/expected. Even the "firm, not negotiable" sellers become negotiable when they (eventually) figure out nobody wants to pay what they think the item is worth. You don't see that in the postings though, that all happens behind the scenes. Point being, looking at CL to see what something is selling for can be misleading.

Last edited by deeddawg; Jan 16, 2011 at 10:59 AM.
deeddawg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2011, 10:47 AM   #25
jetblk328i
macrumors 6502

I was quoted 600 dollars for my mid 2010 2.4 13" MBP. No thanks.
jetblk328i is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro