Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

L32

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Hey everyone. I really wanna see if this will work, so I'll provide every bit of information I can.

I recently had to switch my phone plan from AT&T to T-Mobile. I kept my iPhone 4 and purchased a Blackberry Bold. I started doing some research to see if I could use the iPhone 4 on my T-Mobile network (I'm not sure if it's called jail-breaking or unlocking). I came across the problem of converting the sim-card to the micro-sim version the iPhone 4 uses. I found this tool to help...
http://www.amazon.com/Clearmax-Converter-adapters-ClearMax-Cleaning/dp/B003YCNEZ4

And this YouTube video to see how it works...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTxXME6hsh8

My question is this: If I already have the iPhone 4 unlocked, will converting my T-Mobile sim-card into a micro-sim allow me to use it on T-Mobile's network? Or would I come across other problems? Also, my younger brother implied that Apple may be bricking (I'm not sure if this is the correct word) all iPhone's that were not being used by the AT&T network in either March or May (I apologize if this information is incredible wrong. He's only 16).

Any information that could help me imitate MacGyver would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to read this!

-Nick

vant

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2009
When you convert the sims, essentially you are just cutting off useless plastic. So no it does not effect any data/signals or whatever. It will be difficult to physically place the sim back into the original phone however.

Apple is not bricking any phones. Use whatever network you want (as long as you are unlocked).

samwise

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2005
North Salt Lake, Utah
You will be able to use it on T-Mobile, but not on 3G, only Edge.

T-Mobile uses a different frequency for 3G to AT&T, and that frequency (1700mhz) is not available on the 3G chip in the iPhone.

L32

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Yeah I heard that was an issue too. Is Edge drastically slower than 3g?

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Yeah I heard that was an issue too. Is Edge drastically slower than 3g?

More than drastically. EDGE max is around 100kbps, and thats if you are super lucky. 3G gets 2-5mbps.

L32

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
I appreciate everyone's reply. Will everything else work? i.e. texting, phone service, apps, voicemail, and everything else that could work on the iPhone 4?

vant

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2009
I appreciate everyone's reply. Will everything else work? i.e. texting, phone service, apps, voicemail, and everything else that could work on the iPhone 4?

No visual voicemail. Other then that, the things you listed work.

Weiser878

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009
Hey everyone. I really wanna see if this will work, so I'll provide every bit of information I can.

I recently had to switch my phone plan from AT&T to T-Mobile. I kept my iPhone 4 and purchased a Blackberry Bold. I started doing some research to see if I could use the iPhone 4 on my T-Mobile network (I'm not sure if it's called jail-breaking or unlocking). I came across the problem of converting the sim-card to the micro-sim version the iPhone 4 uses. I found this tool to help...
http://www.amazon.com/Clearmax-Converter-adapters-ClearMax-Cleaning/dp/B003YCNEZ4

And this YouTube video to see how it works...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTxXME6hsh8

My question is this: If I already have the iPhone 4 unlocked, will converting my T-Mobile sim-card into a micro-sim allow me to use it on T-Mobile's network? Or would I come across other problems? Also, my younger brother implied that Apple may be bricking (I'm not sure if this is the correct word) all iPhone's that were not being used by the AT&T network in either March or May (I apologize if this information is incredible wrong. He's only 16).

Any information that could help me imitate MacGyver would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to read this!

-Nick

First of all, JAILBREAKING and UNOCKING are 2 different things.

You have to Jailbreak in order to Unlock.

What firmware are you running/ Most iPhone 4s cannot be unlocked

AS for your nephew, he sounds like my daughter. Probably thinks Facebook is shutting down March 17th too

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
Seeing as how you'll be hobbled with EDGE only for data, and your visual voicemail + facetime will not work....

You'd probably be better off getting an Android or Windows Mobile 7 phone on T-mobile's network.

No messing around with manually changing APN's or having to jailbreak your iPhone4.

Sell the iPhone4, get a Nexus S and put your favorite launcher on it.

L32

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Once I've cut my sim card and inserted it into the iPhone 4, do I need to jailbreak it or unlock (I'm not sure what I'd have to do) it order to use it on the T-Mobile network, or would I be able to make phone calls, texts right away?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.