Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sergio27

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2008
Same problem here. Can't restore from my recent backups, and I don't remember having set up a password.

Cphaggar

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2011
I haven't seen this before, but it might be asking you for your computer admin password, but if aren't prompted to enter a password it might be that your phone is locked with your secret code.

If you have a password for you phone (The stock setting is a 4 digit numerical code) try disabling it then running the update.

Best of luck.

papasurf

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2007
I am getting this stupid error too with 4.3. I've reinstalled everything. My iPhone has no security code and I've even decrypted my previously encrypted backup using a third-party utility (EPPB) but no joy. I installed XCode and the new SDK too in the hope that this would solve it, but no.

At the moment I have no way of accessing my personal settings.

This is a serious bug with 4.3 and people need to be made aware of it!

papasurf

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2007
Temporary fix

I've been able to restore from by backup by copying the backup folder to a PC and restoring using iTunes on that.

DO NOT in any circumstances allow iTunes to do a backup before you do this otherwise it may mess with your backup.

Update: Scratch that, it went through the motions, but it didn't actually do a proper restore

Last edited:

Mystic Eddy

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2008
Staffordshire, UK
I am getting this stupid error too with 4.3. I've reinstalled everything. My iPhone has no security code and I've even decrypted my previously encrypted backup using a third-party utility (EPPB) but no joy. I installed XCode and the new SDK too in the hope that this would solve it, but no.

At the moment I have no way of accessing my personal settings.

This is a serious bug with 4.3 and people need to be made aware of it!

It is in beta though so problems should be expected.

matthewdup

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2011
Same

Okay,
I am having this same issue, before I restored my phone, I made sure to back it up first. I have never set any passwords or passcodes for my phone ever (and even tried my usual ones) So before it will restore all my previously backed up info it is asking for this password? what the EFF is the deal with this?? I updated itunes before the backup-could this be part of it? Is there at least a way I can view the info that used to be on my phone through itunes? I really need those contacts back otherwise I lost connection with many friends from other states.

tmiddlet

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2011
Finally fixed this up!

I had the EXACT same problem

I tried it in beta 3 today, but no luck, so I started messing around with the backup files.

On a mac:
Go to <username>/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup
Find the most recent backup of your phone as well as the one you want to restore to.
Open the Manifest.plist file for each
Copy the value in BackupKeyBag from the new one to the one you wish to restore to. Save.
Restore to the old backup!

This worked for me, hope it works for you.

danbur5

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2011
same issue just happened to me

cannot access my encrypted backup and I have tried every password I think I have ever used but to no avail...any idea how I can resolve this? Still do not see anything that seems to have worked in general. Thanks in advance.

lovkesh

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2011
Solved !!!

I tried it in beta 3 today, but no luck, so I started messing around with the backup files.

On a mac:
Find the most recent backup of your phone as well as the one you want to restore to.
Copy the value in BackupKeyBag from the new one to the one you wish to restore to. Save.

Thanks a lot buddy, I worked for me as well :)

CodeMerk

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2011

On a mac:

I'm trying to do this with a PC. The only way to even get to the files was with a third party softwear, "iPhone Backup Extractor", Their I went into the folder to try to do as you say but I cant open the "Manifest.plist" file. Is their a program that I can use to open it?

temporary

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2011
Solved. It works!

I haven't seen this before, but it might be asking you for your computer admin password, but if aren't prompted to enter a password it might be that your phone is locked with your secret code.

If you have a password for you phone (The stock setting is a 4 digit numerical code) try disabling it then running the update.

Best of luck.

Thanks mate, all that was required is the computer admin password. I tried mine and it worked.

I do not normally post reviews, but I thought someone else could benefit from this too...

Cheers!

Oablar

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2013
password to restore iOS 4.3 from iPhone backup

Well very late on this thread but since I've got the same things and did a good research on the Internet, I found something which I thought it's very useful to share, in fact amazing.

I found the iPhone Backup Unlocker that help unlock passwod to iPhone encrypted backup. Cheers!

Darustyspring

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2011
I've fixed it

Okay guys, spent ages staring at the manifest.plist and I think I've finally fixed it!!! :D Okay so basically:
1. go to [username]/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup and locate the backup of your device (all the folders containing backups will be called massive strings of letters and numbers but if you check the date the folder was created, it will be the date of your first backup of that device or check a date of the files inside and it will be the date of your most recent backup).
2. Scroll right to the bottom of the folder and locate the file called manifest.plist
3. Open it with property list editor (default with mac)
4. Where it says 'IsEncrypted' and along from that 'boolean' next to 'boolean' there is a tick box. If it isn't ticked, click it to tick it.
5. Go back into iTunes and click restore - The password field comes up and you can enter the password if you encrypted it and you know it. If you didn't encrypt it there are videos available to show you what to enter to unlock it :)

stedarbow

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2013
Okay guys, spent ages staring at the manifest.plist and I think I've finally fixed it!!! :D Okay so basically:
1. go to [username]/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup and locate the backup of your device (all the folders containing backups will be called massive strings of letters and numbers but if you check the date the folder was created, it will be the date of your first backup of that device or check a date of the files inside and it will be the date of your most recent backup).
2. Scroll right to the bottom of the folder and locate the file called manifest.plist
3. Open it with property list editor (default with mac)
4. Where it says 'IsEncrypted' and along from that 'boolean' next to 'boolean' there is a tick box. If it isn't ticked, click it to tick it.
5. Go back into iTunes and click restore - The password field comes up and you can enter the password if you encrypted it and you know it. If you didn't encrypt it there are videos available to show you what to enter to unlock it :)

I'm not seeing "boolean' this is what I have 

SystemDomainsVersion\ApplicationsXLockdownWVersion[IsEncrypted\BackupKeyBag^WasPasscodeSetTDateT16.0flz

webwarrior

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2016
Finally fixed this up!

On a mac:

It can be applied still in 2016. That's great man! Billion times thanks. Saved me a big trouble.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.