Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AMDGAMER

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 4, 2011
Anyone been using this feature? If I change from unlimited to tethering ( I was able to keep unlimited since I had iphone back when) its actually a little cheaper by 5 dollars and I can connect to macbook air. Does anyone know how this work? If it works? How does the Air pick up the network?

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
Anyone been using this feature? If I change from unlimited to tethering ( I was able to keep unlimited since I had iphone back when) its actually a little cheaper by 5 dollars and I can connect to macbook air. Does anyone know how this work? If it works? How does the Air pick up the network?

I believe you pair it via bluetooth. I too am thinking about making the switch, I currently have the unlimited plan but because of all the limitations imposed by ATT in this unlimited plan I use about 250MB per month.

AMDGAMER

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 4, 2011
What are the limitations?

And if I switch from unlimited will I be able to switch back ever?

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
It's a 2GB plan for teathering. If you go over it's an additional $10 and you get another gig. Once you get rid of your unlimited plan you will not be able to get it back unless they offer it again sometime in the future

i should also add that this is the plan per what I'm seeing on my "myWireless" app. I dont know if the plan and pricing changes from region to region

Last edited:

Xeperu

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2010
Jailbreak your phone and install MyFi. Tether on your unlimited plan for a 1 time payment of 15$.

kory108

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Jailbreak your phone and install MyFi. Tether on your unlimited plan for a 1 time payment of 15$.

This is the best choice. You get to keep your unlimited plan, and only have to pay a one time payment of $20 (not $15) for the MyWi software. Works like a charm, and lets your iPhone work as a WiFi hotspot for multiple devices, or as the built in Bluetooth or USB tethering.

WildGuess

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2010
I tether with the dock connector so that the phone battery stays full. Just open network in prefs.

jace88

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney, Australia
I'd hold off on buying MyFi unless you need it now considering the current rumours of iOS4.3... who knows, it could be sooner than we realise.

ps. I use iPhone4 tethering but I prefer the cable because it feels more reliable and it charges simultaneously.

AMDGAMER

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 4, 2011
I'd just assume order a usb connection from ATT but I don't want a 2 year contract. I only use about 150mb of info per month on iphone, i think 2GB is a ton.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
I'd just assume order a usb connection from ATT but I don't want a 2 year contract. I only use about 150mb of info per month on iphone, i think 2GB is a ton.

2GB is a lot for use with the iPhone itself, but once you tether it and have much easier access to the net as well as downloading large files, 2GB can get eaten up quite easily.

hamean

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2010
does jailbreaking necessarily void the warranty?

I have an iPhone 4 I want to tether. I will stay under the 200mb cap so I don't want to pay the 30.00 / month to upgrade it. It's only 2 months old however, and I don't want to void the 1 year warranty.

What are the reasons against jailbreaking?

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I tether with my Air. I have the 2GB plan. I use PDANET on my iPhone to tether. I usually only do it at work since I have wifi at home.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.