Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Jan 13, 2011, 10:07 AM   #1
baxingo
macrumors member

Apple care?

Well i'm going to be ordering my macbook air very soon, and I am wondering if I should spend an extra $200 on the apple care? I could buy ms office for mac or iwork with the money, but If you think apple care is the way to go then I think i might do it. Also does apple give a standard warranty with macbook airs even if you don't buy apple care? like a couple months or something?
baxingo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 10:09 AM   #2
MacDawg
macrumors P6

1 year standard warranty
Apple Care extends it to 3 years

Roll the dice

I buy it for my Mac
MacDawg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 10:09 AM   #3
ECUpirate44
Banned

Yes, definitely buy Apple care. It has saved me before. I'm sure many others will say the same as well.
ECUpirate44 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 10:10 AM   #4
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core

Quote:
All Apple hardware comes with a one-year limited warranty and up to 90 days of complimentary telephone technical support. To extend your coverage further, purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan.

Because Apple makes the hardware, the operating system, and many applications, Apple products are truly integrated systems. And only the AppleCare Protection Plan gives you one-stop service and support from Apple experts, so most issues can be resolved in a single call.
from http://www.apple.com/support/products/

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1041667
http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/...t-1001311.html
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1072015
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1017639
Old Jan 13, 2011, 10:23 AM   #5
hfg
macrumors 68020

Remember that you don't have to buy it right away, you can purchase it anytime within the first year of ownership. You could purchase the software you need now, and get the Apple Care later on when you have the cash. Just be sure you get it in time to register it before the 1 year from purchase date.

-howard
hfg is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 10:29 AM   #6
baxingo
macrumors member

thanks for all the quick replies, i think im going to go for it, i'll be using it for at least the next 3 years.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 10:30 AM   #7
uwetodd
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECUpirate44 View Post
Yes, definitely buy Apple care. It has saved me before. I'm sure many others will say the same as well.
Agreed. I forget what the price range is for the MBA ($100-190), but feel the piece of mind is well worth the cost. I have the "13 (loaded) and think it cost me ~$150(?).
uwetodd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:07 AM   #8
Bakari45
macrumors regular

Yeah, Iím going to wait until about the first year is up on the standard warranty before I drop $249 for the extended Apple Care.
Bakari45 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 12:18 PM   #9
Mabyboi
macrumors 6502

Ive always purchased the AppleCare on my macs, but now that I remember that you can purchase it at any time in the first year I may second guess it and buy it closer to the 11th or 12th month, usually I change computers every 8 or so months so spending the extra money doesnt REALLY benefit me...
Old Jan 13, 2011, 12:29 PM   #10
baxingo
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabyboi View Post
Ive always purchased the AppleCare on my macs, but now that I remember that you can purchase it at any time in the first year I may second guess it and buy it closer to the 11th or 12th month, usually I change computers every 8 or so months so spending the extra money doesnt REALLY benefit me...
You make a good point, in the last four years, I've gone through four laptops and three desktops
Old Jan 13, 2011, 12:57 PM   #11
Kachadurian
macrumors newbie

Discounted at B&H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakari45 View Post
Yeah, Iím going to wait until about the first year is up on the standard warranty before I drop $249 for the extended Apple Care.
Get it from B&H photo for $180.

Tom
Old Jan 13, 2011, 01:18 PM   #12
G4DP
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakari45 View Post
I've never understood this. Why go for 9 months without the phone support. It makes no sense. As AppleCare only takes it to three years from date of purchase you might as well buy it when you buy the machine. You don't gain anything by leaving it.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 01:41 PM   #13
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4DP View Post
I've never understood this. Why go for 9 months without the phone support. It makes no sense. As AppleCare only takes it to three years from date of purchase you might as well buy it when you buy the machine. You don't gain anything by leaving it.
Except some may find it financially easier to spread out the cost by waiting to buy AppleCare, especially if 90 days of phone support is sufficient for their needs.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 04:27 PM   #14
Appleind
macrumors regular

Go for it when you buy it. Better safe than sorry
Old Jan 13, 2011, 05:37 PM   #15
snouter
macrumors 6502a

Just how I play it:

You get one year with the OEM warranty. In my experience, it's more likely to be defective early one. If I get through the first year with no issues, then I rather assume I got a "good one" and I use it for another 6-12 months. Then I sell.

At this point, I have gotten ~2 years out of the laptop, saved $250 by skipping Apple Care and get ok resale value, especially when you realize you never spent the $250.

Of course, if you are going to keep the laptop for a long time, then maybe it's more worth this. After 2 years, I usually want a new one.

Some people will say they are easier to sell with Apple Care. I've never had a problem. People care about price and I would have to raise the price if it had 1-2 years of Apple Care left.

I figure I stay in a pretty current laptop for about $50 a month this way, and I'm ok with that.

Last edited by snouter; Jan 13, 2011 at 05:47 PM.
snouter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 05:44 PM   #16
Optimouse^^
macrumors member

I have bought it with every other Apple notebook purchase, but I plan on upgrading my MBA to a higher capacity SSD in a couple months (roughly 2 months into owning my MBA). I thought about it, and decided not to go with the extra protection b/c I figured that once I upgraded the SSD I would have nullified the Apple care.
Optimouse^^ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 05:47 PM   #17
HLdan
Banned

Ebay is the best place to buy Applecare as the price is too good to pass up. I always buy my Applecare and Mobileme renewals there. Just make sure that it's a sealed box and not an activation code. Also don't wait till the 11th or 12th month, it may not work to your advantage. If you wait till then you may not have the funds available, it happens. Also if you wait till then and your Mac is still running fine it's a good possibility you'll pass up on buying the Applecare and then something will break down after the warranty expires.
HLdan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 05:48 PM   #18
Aatos.1
macrumors 6502

I always buy Apple Care with my new Macs. The service is excellent & valuable.
Aatos.1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 05:50 PM   #19
HLdan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimouse^^ View Post
I have bought it with every other Apple notebook purchase, but I plan on upgrading my MBA to a higher capacity SSD in a couple months (roughly 2 months into owning my MBA). I thought about it, and decided not to go with the extra protection b/c I figured that once I upgraded the SSD I would have nullified the Apple care.
Actually that won't happen. The only thing that won't be covered under Applecare would be your upgraded SSD. Now, if you have one of the new MBA's that might be possible that your Applecare is voided because Apple uses security torx screws because they don't want you to get inside the machine.
HLdan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2011, 03:22 PM   #20
psirix
macrumors member

I've always bought it with my Macs but since the MBA is my second Mac I did not purchase it right away. I'm going to see how things go and possibly purchase in the end of the 1 year warranty. The only advantage for now would be phone support but I have no need for that. The MBA was already pricey for a second machine so I couldn't justify nearly another $200.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 03:29 PM   #21
wpotere

1st Gen MBA going in tomorrow for a failing HD. Yes, it is worth it!
wpotere is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2011, 09:18 AM   #22
Optimouse^^
macrumors member

I would love to know the answer to this since I do have one of the new MBA models with the torx screws. I need to buy a new case, so I'll ask next time I'm an Apple store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post
Actually that won't happen. The only thing that won't be covered under Applecare would be your upgraded SSD. Now, if you have one of the new MBA's that might be possible that your Applecare is voided because Apple uses security torx screws because they don't want you to get inside the machine.
Optimouse^^ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2011, 02:15 AM   #23
ReelAction
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snouter View Post
Just how I play it:

You get one year with the OEM warranty. In my experience, it's more likely to be defective early one. If I get through the first year with no issues, then I rather assume I got a "good one".
I use a similar approach - if all is well for the initial 6 months then I assume all is OK. If I have a re-occurring problem(s) then my decision is to either sell or obtain the extended warranty.
In the past I have bought the warranty, which has served me well with past Dell laptops - Had nbd onsite service in the US, Hong Kong, and Singapore for various failures, including a HDD replacement in S'pore.
But it is not apparent that Apple has this type of world wide service, so will have to reflect on the other option more, since I regularly travel and my MBP is my "bread and butter" computer for my biz.
Therefore I have to weigh the time required for time to transfer to a new computer and sell the old versus paying $200+ for unknown service.
ReelAction is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2011, 02:31 AM   #24
yly3
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfg View Post
Remember that you don't have to buy it right away, you can purchase it anytime within the first year of ownership. You could purchase the software you need now, and get the Apple Care later on when you have the cash. Just be sure you get it in time to register it before the 1 year from purchase date.

-howard
Thanks ! that's very good to know. Can I buy Apple Care anywhere on the globe or I need in the same country I bought the Mac ?
yly3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2011, 10:59 AM   #25
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimouse^^ View Post
I would love to know the answer to this since I do have one of the new MBA models with the torx screws. I need to buy a new case, so I'll ask next time I'm an Apple store.
Apple Warranty: Installing Memory, Expansion Cards, User Installable Parts Does Not Void Warranty
Quote:
You may install memory (RAM, VRAM), and other customer-installable parts without voiding your Apple warranty.
From the MacBook Air User's Guide (Late 2010):
Quote:
Your MacBook Air does not have any user-serviceable or user-replaceable parts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yly3 View Post
Thanks ! that's very good to know. Can I buy Apple Care anywhere on the globe or I need in the same country I bought the Mac ?
http://www.apple.com/support/products/faqs.html
Quote:
Where can I purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan?
Apple recommends that you purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan in your country of residence, because each AppleCare Protection Plan has terms and conditions specific to consumers in the country or region in which the plan is offered.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air